Studs

ElliesMom

My neighbor is contemplating getting a stud. How hard in general are they to deal with, how do they get along in general with geldings. Should they always be seperated?

The one she is looking at has been broke to ride, but hasnt been in a while and has been on a farm w/ 13 other horses. He is a 4 yr old (I think) paint racking horse.

I know horses are as individualistic as people but generalities would be appreciated.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
My neighbor is contemplating getting a stud. How hard in general are they to deal with, how do they get along in general with geldings. Should they always be seperated?

The one she is looking at has been broke to ride, but hasnt been in a while and has been on a farm w/ 13 other horses. He is a 4 yr old (I think) paint racking horse.

I know horses are as individualistic as people but generalities would be appreciated.

As a stud owner I would tell her to think very HARD on this..you can NOT treat them as a "horse" I do put my stud out with the mares and geldings but generally he is stalled and out by himself..you have to watch them when trail riding and when hauling...Studs in general are not just for the normal "horse owner"

My stud I think is to die for..but I am thinking about gelding him too..Geldings are so much easier to deal with...

Attachments

• 812200789_00.jpg
    812200789_00.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 104

fredsaid2

The fact that she even has to ask is your answer.

If he's nice she can buy him and immediately geld him.

erinjograves

Your absolutly right! Horses have thier own personalities, just like we do. I know many stallions that are just as sweet as a dead broke gelding that get along with all other horses, even mares, in the field. And then thier are some studs that are just horrible. In my opinion, Stallions should be kept either in thier own pasture but next to other geldings or if the stud is calm you can try him in the field with the geldings. I dont put mares and geldings together for safety reasons anyways. Is the stud kept by himself now? Can he see other horses? Or is he out with other horses? That is what she needs to look at. Why does she want a stud anyway?

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
except for a few exceptions, like Peanut, most of the studs I know have "baby batter" on the brain and are completely obnoxious, granted I am usually only around TB’s who are kind of goofy anyway…..:whistle:

mingiz

Horse Poor
You have to be a smart horse person to deal with a stud. And you can NEVER take your eyes off of him no matter how docile he seems. As Paso said, Vence is a good horse but put a hot mare on the trail with him and you'll see a different horse. Could get ya into big trouble or hurt...

devinej

even the normally calm and well behaved studs can have studly moments that can be very dangerous.
the three breeding stallions at the pony farm i used to work on are always turned out together with all the 2 year old geldings summer-winter just as a herd away from mares. they get along like a herd and it teaches the 2 year olds manners. but NEVER if there were mares around - creates oportunity for fights and injuries.
but those stallions were brought up that way. the ones that weren't turned out when they were young will cause too much trouble most likely.
if there are mares at your neighbors, i'd keep him by himself behind very good fencing and even if he's well behaved be prepared with a chain on his nose because you never know when those hormones are going to take control - if she plans to breed him. if she doesn't plan to breed him: geld him ASAP, it'll make life so much easier.

T

toppick08

Were generally very easy and available 24/7. Oops, wrong thread. :lmao:

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
I'd have to say that if she's asking she is not prepared to own or even work with a stallion. I worked with well over 20 stallions before I even thought of owning my own. I've worked with TB, Appy, QH, WB, STB, Andalusian, and draft stallions.

Some stallions if regularly turned out with other stallions or geldings or even bred mares can continue to be turned out with other horses, however simply by nature they are more likely to be territorial or aggressive. I own a stallion, two mares, two female mini donks and a female pygmy goat. The goat can go in the field and share hay with the stallion, commonly does are in the field with him and the donkeys spend time in the field adjacent to him. However, he just recently took offense to a 200+ pd mastiff while staying in a field that wasn't even his. I don't think he would have done this had he been haltered and supervised, but when you turn out in a field you aren't going to be standing there holding them right?

What happens if/when they he gets out? Any damage including unwanted breedings are the responisibility of the stallion owner. Why is she keeping him a stallion? Is he something exceptional? Many stallions would make lovely geldings. Also at four he may not yet be breeding. Once a stallion is a working, breeding stallion he may change.

Not even fully knowing the situation I don't think it's a good idea. People think I'm very strict. My stallion may NOT speak while being handled or ridden, no calling or nickering. Rarely does he get handfed treats. He will get carrots or apples on a bed of hay or in his feed bucket. Your stallion must respect you and you must respect your stallion.

mingiz

Horse Poor
I'd have to say that if she's asking she is not prepared to own or even work with a stallion. I worked with well over 20 stallions before I even thought of owning my own. I've worked with TB, Appy, QH, WB, STB, Andalusian, and draft stallions.

Some stallions if regularly turned out with other stallions or geldings or even bred mares can continue to be turned out with other horses, however simply by nature they are more likely to be territorial or aggressive. I own a stallion, two mares, two female mini donks and a female pygmy goat. The goat can go in the field and share hay with the stallion, commonly does are in the field with him and the donkeys spend time in the field adjacent to him. However, he just recently took offense to a 200+ pd mastiff while staying in a field that wasn't even his. I don't think he would have done this had he been haltered and supervised, but when you turn out in a field you aren't going to be standing there holding them right?

What happens if/when they he gets out? Any damage including unwanted breedings are the responisibility of the stallion owner. Why is she keeping him a stallion? Is he something exceptional? Many stallions would make lovely geldings. Also at four he may not yet be breeding. Once a stallion is a working, breeding stallion he may change.

Not even fully knowing the situation I don't think it's a good idea. People think I'm very strict. My stallion may NOT speak while being handled or ridden, no calling or nickering. Rarely does he get handfed treats. He will get carrots or apples on a bed of hay or in his feed bucket. Your stallion must respect you and you must respect your stallion.

Very well put Phy....You have to know what your doing around a stud no matter how sweet he looks. I have seen what a breeding stud can do to a human. It's not pretty.

appaholic

Very well put Phy....You have to know what your doing around a stud no matter how sweet he looks. I have seen what a breeding stud can do to a human. It's not pretty.

I agree with Phy manners are important in all horses, but even more so with stallions. I saw past sweet stud pick up and treat a large man like a rag doll and it was definately not pretty!

ElliesMom

I hvae been around studs a little, she wants to breed him to her mare, we are prepared to 'isolate' him in a feild w/ other horses with electric, its onle her mare and my mare, I am happy to deal with any accidents should he get out so thats not the highest on my priority list.

My biggest concerns are: his manners, how he breeds, if he breeds, such as is he a wounder, and how the interaction between her estblished gelding and mare and the stud would be. Oh and if he's a fence jumper or a houdini. I wont deal with fence jumpers and houdini's.

I am well aware of how aggressive studs can be.

Worse comes to worse if we get out there and he's a monster I will take my empty trailer back home! But looking doesnt hurt MUCH right?

Chain will be IN HAND.

W

WhoCares

What is her reason for wanting a stud? Does she plan on using him for breeding, or is it because he just hasn't been gelded yet?

IMHO, unless you have experience dealing with studs, and the personality's it is to much of a liability having one on the farm. Not just a liability for herself but for others. Example: Mare next door is in season, Stallion gets whiff. He goes through fence like it is nothing. Mare & Stallion do :bang: :bang:. Here comes baby... SO whose fault is it in the result? Not worth the risk to me.

T

toppick08

I've seen what a 300 Winchester can do to to a horse, and trust me, it's not pretty either. I'd kill any animal threatening the life of any human.... :deadhorse

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
This thread reminds me of a lot of forumites I know. :lol:

Some of them don't know what they're doing, and some of them need to be put out to pasture.

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
I agree with Phy manners are important in all horses, but even more so with stallions. I saw past sweet stud pick up and treat a large man like a rag doll and it was definately not pretty!

AMEN! We are in the process of purchasing an incredible stud from Texas right now, and even as nice as he is, and the fact that we have the facilities with fences strong enough and high enough, we aren't going to keep him at our farm. We don't want the headache, or liability.

fredsaid2

I hvae been around studs a little, she wants to breed him to her mare, we are prepared to 'isolate' him in a feild w/ other horses with electric, its onle her mare and my mare, I am happy to deal with any accidents should he get out so thats not the highest on my priority list.

My biggest concerns are: his manners, how he breeds, if he breeds, such as is he a wounder, and how the interaction between her estblished gelding and mare and the stud would be. Oh and if he's a fence jumper or a houdini. I wont deal with fence jumpers and houdini's.

I am well aware of how aggressive studs can be.

Worse comes to worse if we get out there and he's a monster I will take my empty trailer back home! But looking doesnt hurt MUCH right?

Chain will be IN HAND.

This horse should be exceptional if she intends using him as a stud. The mare should be exceptional as well. What is it about the stud that compliments the mare? More thought needs to be given other than he’s intact and she already owns a mare. Otherwise it's no different than every other backyard indiscriminate breeder out there. If she wants a baby certainly she can find something better bred already on the ground.

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up

You should try to encourage her to find a stud and breed her mare to him. Believe me it will be many many $$$$ less to do it that way. We have owned stud horses for some time and they are definetly not for most people. And even the most advanced rider must aways be on guard when riding them cause you can never tell when the moment may hit:whistle: