Percy.. chilli
Happy.. beef stew
Elliesmom.. chowdah
mgh.. hotdoggies & rolls
girlnamedsue.. crab soup
stephy.. desert

what else you guys bringing???

fredsaid2

In this "rare" breed, even an unsound mare has value as a brood mare, and an unsound gelding is a good baby buddy in the field. They are a kind and gentle breed, and you just don't see many with soudness issues like you see in so many other breeds. But the market isn't over burdened with registered certified Rockies, either.

Why is an unsound mare considered valuable as a brood mare? I can see if it's due to a freak injury but if the unsoundness is conformational and you continue to breed her, what's the point?

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
Why is an unsound mare considered valuable as a brood mare? I can see if it's due to a freak injury but if the unsoundness is conformational and you continue to breed her, what's the point?
Im sure that Happy is refering to an injury...and not a genetic issue

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
OOPS, when i say unsound, I am speaking of "not ridable". Sorry. If they become unsound or are unridable prior to certification at 2, they can't be certified to breed at all, because certification is always under saddle.

My brood mares are all registered, certified to breed and happily, all ridable. But if by chance one develops an injury, she is still valuable to me, because i have chosen her specifically to be included in my breeding program, and as long as she is healthy otherwise, she will remain in it.

mingiz

Horse Poor
Any pix of your mini stallion. I have a small appy one!! He's a real sweetie but I had another one that I ended up snipping... too much to deal with him..

Oh she has plenty of pics. He's a lil cutie...She has been having PC problems so she may be slow to reply...

pmsmare

My neighbor is contemplating getting a stud. How hard in general are they to deal with, how do they get along in general with geldings. Should they always be seperated?

The one she is looking at has been broke to ride, but hasnt been in a while and has been on a farm w/ 13 other horses. He is a 4 yr old (I think) paint racking horse.

I know horses are as individualistic as people but generalities would be appreciated.

Heres a safe thought.....How about you and your neighbor go a few times to where this stallion is and do some routine handling. Go at feeding time, Grooming time. Lead him around the owners property. She how he acts, and how controllable he is around their farm and by mares. See if you can do a trial period for a few days to see if you can truely handle the horse in a not so familiar atmosphere. Like in your neighbors barn around different geldings and mares. I have see well manered stallions turn into tazmanian devils on hind legs and striking front legs immediately after coming off transport trailers, and into new barns with professionals handling them.

BeenSpur'd

I love her wild,wild hair
Any pix of your mini stallion. I have a small appy one!! He's a real sweetie but I had another one that I ended up snipping... too much to deal with him..
:howdy:
Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you on that, I was out welding on my farm trailer then I was decorating horse cookies that I made, and then feeding up before it got too dark. I can't get to any of the pictures right now, they are on the hubby's computer and it's sick with the flu and he is slower than molasses getting things fixed.
I'll have to see if I can take some new pictures and download them onto this computer. I did put a picture of him on one of the threads, I was talking about all the help I get cleaning stalls. He was in the middle looking over the wheel barrel, his paint wife on his right and his pintaloosa filly on the left of him. With my memory, I can't recall what the thread was about. I sure would like to see a picture of your little guy if you have one handy. Show Boy is 29 1/2 inches, at least that is what I remember when I last measured him, a black leopard App with black and white mane and tail. My daughter says his hair looks like mine and it does. I love the little guys, they are so cute and have so much damn personality.

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
Beenspurred, Any of these look like your stud?:whistle:
:howdy:
Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you on that, I was out welding on my farm trailer then I was decorating horse cookies that I made, and then feeding up before it got too dark. I can't get to any of the pictures right now, they are on the hubby's computer and it's sick with the flu and he is slower than molasses getting things fixed.
I'll have to see if I can take some new pictures and download them onto this computer. I did put a picture of him on one of the threads, I was talking about all the help I get cleaning stalls. He was in the middle looking over the wheel barrel, his paint wife on his right and his pintaloosa filly on the left of him. With my memory, I can't recall what the thread was about. I sure would like to see a picture of your little guy if you have one handy. Show Boy is 29 1/2 inches, at least that is what I remember when I last measured him, a black leopard App with black and white mane and tail. My daughter says his hair looks like mine and it does. I love the little guys, they are so cute and have so much damn personality.

Attachments

• Beenspurded minis.JPG
    Beenspurded minis.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Minis.JPG
    Minis.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 67
  • mini beensured.JPG
    mini beensured.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 68