Studs

ElliesMom

Shes gonna talk to the guy tonight and call me.

I will advise her to come over here and read this thread.

Thank you so much for your honest opinions and advice. I'll let you know how it goes.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
I hvae been around studs a little, she wants to breed him to her mare,

A little is not enough. Sounds like the "my friend" means more like you AND your friend. Why does she want to breed her mare to that particular stallion? What at 4 and barely trained has he done that's great? What is unique or valuable about him? Why doesn't she just pay a stud fee and breed to him?

we are prepared to 'isolate' him in a feild w/ other horses with electric, its onle her mare and my mare, I am happy to deal with any accidents should he get out so thats not the highest on my priority list.

How can you isolate him in field with other horses? You're going to turn him out with her mare and your mare? YOU are happy to deal with any accidents that HER stallion causes? You mean like lawsuits? Horses are not toys. Stallions breeding are not always safe. Not only could the mare be injured your stallion could be too. A well placed kick and the mare could cause a fatal accident.

My biggest concerns are: his manners, how he breeds, if he breeds, such as is he a wounder, and how the interaction between her estblished gelding and mare and the stud would be. Oh and if he's a fence jumper or a houdini. I wont deal with fence jumpers and houdini's.

Again, why would you consider buying a young, unproven stallion for breeding purposes? So, you're going to turn the stallion out, isolated (? ? ?) but with two mares and a gelding? YOU won't deal with fence jumpers or houdinis...
I am well aware of how aggressive studs can be.
Obviously not. You posed the question in the first place and then say you "know a little", now you're well aware. The stallion is for your friend, but it's going to be with your mare, you're going to be responsible for it, you're not going to tolerate houdinis or fence jumping. And, you're going to pick it up.

Chain will be IN HAND.

Why?

mingiz

Horse Poor
Phyxius you have such a way about you...:buddies::whistle: This sounds more like a wreck getting ready to happen:otter: Somebody is going to get hurtor better yet sued...

2baymares

As a stud owner I would tell her to think very HARD on this..you can NOT treat them as a "horse" I do put my stud out with the mares and geldings but generally he is stalled and out by himself..you have to watch them when trail riding and when hauling...Studs in general are not just for the normal "horse owner"

My stud I think is to die for..but I am thinking about gelding him too..Geldings are so much easier to deal with...

:killingme I was sooooo ready to see a different picture of your stallion.:killingme

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
This horse should be exceptional if she intends using him as a stud. The mare should be exceptional as well. What is it about the stud that compliments the mare? More thought needs to be given other than he’s intact and she already owns a mare. Otherwise it's no different than every other backyard indiscriminate breeder out there. If she wants a baby certainly she can find something better bred already on the ground.

I total agree Fred. Very well said. :howdy: Quality vs Quantity

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
A little is not enough. Sounds like the "my friend" means more like you AND your friend. Why does she want to breed her mare to that particular stallion? What at 4 and barely trained has he done that's great? What is unique or valuable about him? Why doesn't she just pay a stud fee and breed to him?

How can you isolate him in field with other horses? You're going to turn him out with her mare and your mare? YOU are happy to deal with any accidents that HER stallion causes? You mean like lawsuits? Horses are not toys. Stallions breeding are not always safe. Not only could the mare be injured your stallion could be too. A well placed kick and the mare could cause a fatal accident.

Again, why would you consider buying a young, unproven stallion for breeding purposes? So, you're going to turn the stallion out, isolated (? ? ?) but with two mares and a gelding? YOU won't deal with fence jumpers or houdinis...

Obviously not. You posed the question in the first place and then say you "know a little", now you're well aware. The stallion is for your friend, but it's going to be with your mare, you're going to be responsible for it, you're not going to tolerate houdinis or fence jumping. And, you're going to pick it up.

Why?

Phyxius very good points. You sure know your stuff.

ElliesMom

well we are very close neighbors, therefore I should be concerened with what she is doing especially if it concerns general safety. She is a bit older than me, she has kids nearly my age so telling her outright like I would someone my own age is kinda rude. (she is not someone I intend to piss off) We (because all she has to do is ask and my husband and I are there to help her out) are prepared to fence off a samller part of her larger part of her pasture to keep him seperate (should he be coming, unditermined as of this morning)

I guess as a concerened neighbor I am myself trying to get a better grasp on what she is up to, in order to keep myself educated (since I know studs can be volatile) and to keep my mare 'safe'. (she is in a seperate pasture comepletely, our mares HATE eachother!) At this point it REALLY doesnt sound like a good idea, I know that. But it would not be wise to outright tell her that, she is a grown woman who has an idea in her head about something that she thinks would be neat.

I just want to know this stuff so that I can help her if and when it goes bad I guess. When I see her for the bus I will gently try and warn her in my most convincing manner that this might not be the greatest idea out there. (tact is great with her).

I have told her that studs can and usually are aggressive, I have told her that he very well may go after her beutiful gelding BJ, or hurt her sweet mare Princess. I have told her that he WILL need to be seperated from them - especially if she doesnt want an immedite breeding. She I would hope has a good idea of how not a good idea this is. (otherwise she wouldnt have had a doubt right?)

She is my neighbor though, and someone I respect in a mothering way, so no matter what she does I will be there to help her, whether I really agree or not. Afterall what is a good friend and neighbor for?

Thank you guys for your honest opinions, they really help. I guess all I can really do now is reiterate all the bad things a stud can do and hope this deal doesnt fall through right?

fredsaid2

ElliesMom, good luck w/ your discussion. Remind her there are so many wonderful, suitable horses out there already. Why wait years for a baby when she could be riding something now? I still say if she really likes the 4 yr old, buy him and geld him. Those trucks heading across the border are full already.

ElliesMom

Yeah I showed her some I've been drooling over online and gotten 'oh thats nice'. And the prices have been low to reasonable for what they are.

I'll actually go over all this with my husband too and see if he works better on her. (he is really convincing)

I told her about this that I found here:

http://forums.somd.com/horses/121134-free-twhs.html

Last edited:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
This horse should be exceptional if she intends using him as a stud. The mare should be exceptional as well. What is it about the stud that compliments the mare? More thought needs to be given other than he’s intact and she already owns a mare. Otherwise it's no different than every other backyard indiscriminate breeder out there. If she wants a baby certainly she can find something better bred already on the ground.
It's far cheaper to send the mare TO a stud, and pay those one time fees then to purchase and maintain a stud for only one mare, IMO.

I am currently looking for a HERD stallion. I have chosen (most) of my brood mare band and have many requirements for the herd stallion that i will untimately choose as my own. Hence I've been looking for almost 2 years. I've sent 2 possibilities back from whence they came, and am leasing a stud now for one mare. He will also go back to KY, although i love him, i can only use him for one mare in my band ~ he's a gorgeous, sweet natured strong gaited bay stud being bred to my palomino mare~ so for me, it's cheaper to lease him for a couple of months, then return him when my mare is covered. He is also for sale, for a very reasonable price by his owners.

I want my personal herd stallion to have something to offer not only MY mares but the breed as a whole. He should be able to "pay his own way" in terms of generating stud fees, AND proving himself to the public by being my everyday trail, parade and breed demo horse, and i'll be doing competition trail rides with him as well - again to promote the BREED and his offspring.

If the stallion you are looking at is all that AND a bag of chips...i say go for it. Otherwise, why not see if you can lease him for 2-4 months then return him when your mare is covered? Unless of course you are planning to geld him, provided he will make a good gelding once you get a live foal. All good stallions make GREAT geldings, RC's boy LeRoy is a prime example (most of the time :lol:). That's my story and i'm sticking to it. :biggrin:

Last edited:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
yes, i'd much rather see horses that are already created be taken care of...
While that may be true....some of us are true "breeders" at heart. If you have the time, resources and the market is there for what you produce, why not??

As i have said many times regarding Rotts, I am NOT the problem when it comes to how many end up in Rescue. I do my part to help them, but i will NOT accept the resposibility or burden of saving them all. The very small number i have bred over the years is but a drop in the bucket with not a single one ever ending up in Rescue. Ever.

Hopefully, I will be able to say the same about any baby Rockies i am responsible for, because the plan is to breed 3-4 quality babies each year, and if not sold as weanlings, keep them until they are started under saddle and sell them as outstanding, well broke trail horses.

In this "rare" breed, even an unsound mare has value as a brood mare, and an unsound gelding is a good baby buddy in the field. They are a kind and gentle breed, and you just don't see many with soudness issues like you see in so many other breeds. But the market isn't over burdened with registered certified Rockies, either.

Last edited:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
that would be frothy:killingme
:dead:

ummm....my neighbor actually offered to do it last night :lol:

She also said she wanted to take us out to dinner last night, but I had already made spaghetti and we picked it up from my house to take to hers (RC was finishing up putting in her Ritchie Waterer last night until after 9:00pm) she said....gee, I was looking forward to a "nice" meal... :killingme