Suggestions needed ASAP, please

TurboK9

Nonetheless, if a dog were to have the capacity to speak, and you were to ask the dog: "Would you like to stay in this shelter for a while, or would you like us to inject this Drano into your jugular right now", what do you think his answer might be?

Confusing & scary or not, I submit that euthanizing a dog is several orders of magnitude more disgusting than giving it a chance at a shelter.

Submit all you want.

I'll just forward it to 1D-10t for review.

Cowgirl

Nonetheless, if a dog were to have the capacity to speak, and you were to ask the dog: "Would you like to stay in this shelter for a while, or would you like us to inject this Drano into your jugular right now", what do you think his answer might be?

Confusing & scary or not, I submit that euthanizing a dog is several orders of magnitude more disgusting than giving it a chance at a shelter.

I have a 14 and a half year old dog who's rapidly aging and I know he won't be around much longer. He is arthritic, very picky about what he eats, is just about totally deaf, and losing his sight. I have had him since he was 8 weeks old. I cannot imagine EVER abandoning him at a shelter for any reason whatsoever. He's given me 14 years of faithful companionship, and for me to just dump him like yesterday's trash would be incredibly insulting to him, and yes, I know he's a dog.

Shelters are cold, with concrete floors and food that he probably wouldn't eat. So, his arthritis would make it almost impossible for him to move around, and he would probably not get any special attention or a special diet. Shelters are incredibly noisy and hectic. I'd imagine just the stress of it all would make him totally give up. I'd imagine if you asked Scooter if he wanted that, or if he wanted to drift off peacefully while in my arms, I'm sure he'd choose the latter.

And if I were old and feeble and couldn't do anything but sit in a wheelchair and drool, I'd rather be euthanized as well.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Soooo.... basically, no one knows of any one or any place that adopts older pets and my only choices are the shelter or killing him? Thanks.

You can try the rescues in the area..there are many but it's hard to get the "good" dogs/cats into a rescue. There are places in Virgina..or there used to be "rescue ranches" that would let the dogs live out their lives. People are abandoning their pets in record numbers these days.

Cowgirl

Soooo.... basically, no one knows of any one or any place that adopts older pets and my only choices are the shelter or killing him? Thanks.

What did you want us to tell you? Most of us hear love our pets, so what did you expect?

Cowgirl

OP, maybe you should tell us a little more about him. What breed, etc? Perhaps someone will want him.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant

Yes, you can take care of your animal. You can place an advertisement on petfinder or in the classifieds online.

However, you must accept that realistically, older dogs do not get adopted. Shelters do not keep dogs forever. They wait a period of time then euthanize the dog.

So you can
1) take care of your animal - kennel him and let him live out the remainder of his days. Which are not that many if he is 15.
2) advertise and see if somebody is willing to adopt him
3) Surrender him to a shelter to be alone and scared and euthanized alone and scared
4) Euthanize him yourself so at least when he goes he has somebody there with him

Toxick

Splat
How often you get to a nursing home to see a loved one?

Not sure that I like the tone of this particular question, as it sounds pretty ####ing accusatory, however I'm going to choose to believe the question was meant to be more benign than it sounds.

Nobody in my family or circle of friends lives in a nursing home, however my mother-in-law works in one. Also when I was a teenager, and I did a lot of volunteer work that would bring me the nursing home regularly.

So I'm not ignorant of what nursing homes are like or what goes in there.

I know enough, in fact, to say that this:

Most of them would probably choose to have Drano injected into their jugular...they just don't know how to ask.

... is complete bull####.

And you're assuming a dog thinks like a human.

I'm assuming that dogs have the same sense of self-preservation as humans, to which there is much evidence.

Meaning to say, dogs would probably choose to live rather than die, even in the face of abandonment and inconvenience.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yes, you can take care of your animal. You can place an advertisement on petfinder or in the classifieds online.

However, you must accept that realistically, older dogs do not get adopted. Shelters do not keep dogs forever. They wait a period of time then euthanize the dog.

So you can
1) take care of your animal - kennel him and let him live out the remainder of his days. Which are not that many if he is 15.
2) advertise and see if somebody is willing to adopt him
3) Surrender him to a shelter to be alone and scared and euthanized alone and scared
4) Euthanize him yourself so at least when he goes he has somebody there with him

OK, that did it. Now I've got a tear in my eye. Wow.

Damn.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
I have a 14 and a half year old dog who's rapidly aging and I know he won't be around much longer. He is arthritic, very picky about what he eats, is just about totally deaf, and losing his sight. I have had him since he was 8 weeks old. I cannot imagine EVER abandoning him at a shelter for any reason whatsoever. He's given me 14 years of faithful companionship, and for me to just dump him like yesterday's trash would be incredibly insulting to him, and yes, I know he's a dog.

Shelters are cold, with concrete floors and food that he probably wouldn't eat. So, his arthritis would make it almost impossible for him to move around, and he would probably not get any special attention or a special diet. Shelters are incredibly noisy and hectic. I'd imagine just the stress of it all would make him totally give up. I'd imagine if you asked Scooter if he wanted that, or if he wanted to drift off peacefully while in my arms, I'm sure he'd choose the latter.

And if I were old and feeble and couldn't do anything but sit in a wheelchair and drool, I'd rather be euthanized as well.

oh CG.... you made me cry..... years ago my GSD was 13 1/2 yrs old when I had to let him go..... It broke my heart but like you I could not think of dumping him anywhere

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Not sure that I like the tone of this particular question, as it sounds pretty ####ing accusatory, however I'm going to choose to believe the question was meant to be more benign than it sounds.

Nobody in my family or circle of friends lives in a nursing home, however my mother-in-law works in one. Also when I was a teenager, and I did a lot of volunteer work that would bring me the nursing home regularly.

So I'm not ignorant of what nursing homes are like or what goes in there.

I know enough, in fact, to say that this:

... is complete bull####.

I'm assuming that dogs have the same sense of self-preservation as humans, to which there is much evidence.

Meaning to say, dogs would probably choose to live rather than die, even in the face of abandonment and inconvenience.

I have been asked, on multiple occasions to help someone die. It happens on a constant and consistant basis. Rarely if ever do I hear older folks with health issues ask to keep on living. Usually that's the family, at the expense of their family member, for their own benefit.

somdcelt

I was thinking about the 15 years of the poor dog not being house trained to clean up thats going to be real nice. My neighbor just moved out of her house after 12 years she two dogs and couple cats that never went out side they both used little boxes. But the new owners found the dogs loved every floor and doorway in the entire house. They ripped out all the carpets anyway but they also had to rip up the hardwood floors , scrubbed all the doorways and had to rip up or seal most of the subfloors because they were so stained. Good luck with the pup hope he finds new home that will take care of him or you just let him live his last few years or months with the family that raised him

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
You know cause I actually had an old faithful friend and I give a shiyt about your dog that you appear not to,

I did an internet search and found this:
House With A Heart Senior Pet Sanctuary

Why don't you contact them? Or do a search yourself and find some organization to contact.

Gawd this thread is horrid horrid horrid.

15 years, I just cannot imagine abandoning my dog.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

In fact I know someone who makes a bit of a hobby collecting old and infirm dogs. If you post the pooch's picture, I will make sure she sees it and will feel so bad for the old guy that she'll take him off your hands to live in her menagerie until the end of his days.

Of course, she will throttle me for this, but I'm just trying to help.