Summer hair

Radiant1

Soul Probe
Will any local hair place around here do a Brazilian Blow Out? Approximate cost? Reoccurring timeframe?

It's a chemical treatment so I wouldn't trust just anyone. I was told it would last up to three months, but don't remember the price given. I just remember thinking it damn well better work for the cost.

KDENISE977

Will any local hair place around here do a Brazilian Blow Out? Approximate cost? Reoccurring timeframe?

I had mine done at Scalped a few years ago, spent like $200 with product (they tell you, you need it) but then recently I just had mine "relaxed" at The Hair Company in Charlotte Hall and it was less than half the price and worked better. I have a REALLY bad case of curl on the underside of the back of my head that is impossible to get straight with just a hot air brush or flat iron.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
So what would happen if you bought an over-the-counter perm and mixed up the solution and out it on your head, and instead of rolling your treated hair in curlers, you just continually combed it straight for 25 minutes or so? Would you end up with straight hair for less than $15? I may have to give it a try just to see if it can be done. :shrug:

KDENISE977

So what would happen if you bought an over-the-counter perm and mixed up the solution and out it on your head, and instead of rolling your treated hair in curlers, you just continually combed it straight for 25 minutes or so? Would you end up with straight hair for less than $15? I may have to give it a try just to see if it can be done. :shrug:

I know people in high school that used to do it like that. I think their are some straighteners sold at CVS or Walgreens that I might try. I saw a commercial for one, can't remember the name, that said kept hair straight for up to 3 days :shrug: I'd try anything at this point, with this humidity my hair is HORRIBLE and sort of in between curly, straight, and frizzy. :mad:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

That's how we used to do it back in the day, but I'd be very careful with your hair because it's so fragile. Really you should have it professionally straightened if that's what you want.

John Freida products are very good for straight OR curly hair, keeps the cuticle nice and flat to avoid frizzies.

Im_Me

My hair stylist tempts me with this on occasion. Is it worth the cost?

I think so. Keeps me from looking like a Brillo pad all summer. Saves half an hour a day of hair straightening, followed by my hair then re-frizzing the minute it hits the humidity.

p.s. just read the rest of the thread.

I think relaxing could work good for the frizz, but my concern is that relaxing is permanent. I keep my hair long so it would have "stripes" of relaxed and un-relaxed hair.

I just get a blowout in the summer and then keep it regular the rest of the year. Blowouts are pricey and then they hit you up for the REALLY expensive product. I just saved the rest of the bottles from last year and to cut the expense.

Last edited:

Radiant1

Soul Probe
John Freida products are very good for straight OR curly hair, keeps the cuticle nice and flat to avoid frizzies.

I think it was you who suggested John Freida 3-Day Straight in a previous tread. I tried it and think it works better than my salon equivalent. :yay:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I think it was you who suggested John Freida 3-Day Straight in a previous tread. I tried it and think it works better than my salon equivalent. :yay:

I bought it after Vrai's recommendation. The first use I thought it was good. I will rate it a 3/5. After a few more uses it went into the trash. I've noticed that my hair feels and looks best without any product.

MarieB

I keep it the same except more pony tailing in the summer.

Those of you with curly / wavy hair should try the Moroccan oil curl cream - no dry and no frizz 99% of the time

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I keep it the same except more pony tailing in the summer.

Those of you with curly / wavy hair should try the Moroccan oil curl cream - no dry and no frizz 99% of the time

Ehh. That's an expensive-azz product that doesn't seem to do much more for me than the herbal essence curl cream. It works ok but not any better than the $5-8 products :shrug:

acommondisaster

I get highlights in the summer and curse at the frizz. I am hoping that in a future life, I have good hair, because in this life I was given hell hair. I am not a good stylist and my hair always looks awful. There are just as many humid days in the winter as there are in the summer, I think. :(

Brazilian Blowout products have the liquid form of formaldehyde ranging from 8.7% to 10.4%.
The U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration requires an occupational hazard alert at levels higher than 0.1%, the FDA says.
cancer or possible leukemia for straight hair, no way.

KDENISE977

Brazilian Blowout products have the liquid form of formaldehyde ranging from 8.7% to 10.4%.
The U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration requires an occupational hazard alert at levels higher than 0.1%, the FDA says.
cancer or possible leukemia for straight hair, no way.

Yeah...that's stuff they don't mention to you before they put the sh*t on your head and you cannot breathe. I actually got mine done, and found out 2 weeks later I was pregnant.
My son's 3rd nipple is coming in nicely.