Tackle Box broken into...guns stolen

Bay_Kat

Tropical
You should have access anytime you need it.

I do, unless I go to school or the post office or to vote. Other than that, it's with me. A friend of ours forgot and went into the post office, he got two steps inside when the side door opened and he was yanked into the office, he totally forgot. I have no idea how they knew.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Here where it appears to me to be a difference between legal and right. Should he be legally required to take more steps to secure his inventory when the shop is locked up? Of course not. Should he as a citizen, concerned about possible harm in the community should his inventory be stolen, take those steps unilaterally? I would like to think so. But that's me.

You can't stop a criminal if they are determined to get what they want.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
You should have access anytime you need it.

I do, unless I go to school or the post office or to vote. Other than that, it's with me. A friend of ours forgot and went into the post office, he got two steps inside when the side door opened and he was yanked into the office, he totally forgot. I have no idea how they knew.

I meant, while you were at home.
Leave the house go lock up your gun in a safe?
Come back home, unlock it and keep it with you.
Before you go to bed lock it in the safe.

I'm still worried about what would happen to me if somebody broke into my house ans stole my famous "Snake Killing Cat" and set it free?

Bay_Kat

Tropical
I meant, while you were at home.
Leave the house go lock up your gun in a safe?
Come back home, unlock it and keep it with you.
Before you go to bed lock it in the safe.

I'm still worried about what would happen to me if somebody broke into my house ans stole my famous "Snake Killing Cat" and set it free?

Leave the house it goes with me unless I go to school or the PO. I'm not going to leave it out if I'm not here with it. It's always within easy reach when I go to bed, and if pup does her job, I'll have enough warning to grab it.

Inkd

That is a F'in ridicules statement.

Not really. I didn't mean make it harder to break in. Like you said, if they want to break in, they will. But, they aren't stealing fishing poles or even, from what I can tell about the article, long guns.

From what I remember about the tackle box, the long guns are locked up with a cable lock, handguns are in a glass display case that can be easily broken with anything laying around the store.

If I am a business owner and my store is getting broken into and the same type of items are being stolen, I'm going to make it harder for them to get their F'n hands on those items. Especially if one of those items was used to kill someone in the past.

That's just me though.

MMDad

Lem Putt
MMDad I would still like to hear your reply on this.

Reasonable and prudent isn't a simple yes/no answer. If you live on a farm with no neighbors for miles you could leave your door unlocked and you'd be reasonable and prudent. If your guns are displayed in your front window and you live in LP city, then no just locking your door is not reasonable and prudent.

Same thing with walking through SE DC at 2 AM. Should you be able to? Yes. Is it reasonable and prudent to do so?

If you lock your doors, yet your guns are repeatedly stolen, is continuing to only lock your doors reasonable and prudent? Not in my opinion.

frequentflier

happy to be living
As a business owner, I have taken precautions against being ripped off. Cameras, window glass break sensors and door alarms (and more I am not willing to share!)
Last year, at one store, the POS (that is currently incarcerated) kicked in the bottom front door glass panel and it DID NOT BREAK so the glass break sensors did not go off. He managed to steal money from the cash register and rifled through the office before exiting the back door; which triggered an audible alarm and notified the police and alarm company immediately.
My main store has all the precautions plus motion sensors that trigger over a certain weight (we have a guard cat there so I think it is 20 lbs).

These, and the insurance I carry, are adequate for the businesses I run.

Weapons, guns, ammo? My hope would be that they would have precautions in place that would have the cops there faster than the perps could know what bit them on the a$$.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Obviously, you are not an attorney.

No kidding. But you know damn well that if people can get sued and lose for merely having a pit bull that never attacked anyone before it mauled a kid, you wouldn't have a hard time convincing a jury that when guns had previously been stolen from your store AND USED IN MURDERS yet you took no action to prevent a recurrence that you share some liability.

It's not a matter of it being a codified requirement. It's about what a reasonable person in that position would do. Would a reasonable person whose guns are repeatedly stolen AND USED IN MURDERS step up security a notch?

Last edited:

MMDad

Lem Putt
As a business owner, I have taken precautions against being ripped off. Cameras, window glass break sensors and door alarms (and more I am not willing to share!)
Last year, at one store, the POS (that is currently incarcerated) kicked in the bottom front door glass panel and it DID NOT BREAK so the glass break sensors did not go off. He managed to steal money from the cash register and rifled through the office before exiting the back door; which triggered an audible alarm and notified the police and alarm company immediately.
My main store has all the precautions plus motion sensors that trigger over a certain weight (we have a guard cat there so I think it is 20 lbs).

These, and the insurance I carry, are adequate for the businesses I run.

Weapons, guns, ammo? My hope would be that they would have precautions in place that would have the cops there faster than the perps could know what bit them on the a$$.

After your store was ripped off, did you look at the measures you already took and determined if there were other reasonable precautions you could take? I would assume you at least looked at it, even if you didn't find anything reasonable to change.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
One thing about Florida, we do have "Stand Your Ground" which can be good, but sometimes it does backfire. I would hope that in an instance where if someone breaks into your home and you shoot them, you are in the right and can't get sued by some meth head like the story that was in the news recently.

MMDad

Lem Putt
One thing about Florida, we do have "Stand Your Ground" which can be good, but sometimes it does backfire. I would hope that in an instance where if someone breaks into your home and you shoot them, you are in the right and can't get sued by some meth head like the story that was in the news recently.

Maryland doesn't have stand your ground, but you can protect yourself. It's possible you could still be prosecuted, but as long as you can convince a jury that you believed that the only thing you could do to protect yourself or another person was to shoot you'd be okay.

There was the college student in St. Inigoes who was shot recently after breaking into a house while intoxicated. He was charged, the homeowner was not.

frequentflier

happy to be living
After your store was ripped off, did you look at the measures you already took and determined if there were other reasonable precautions you could take? I would assume you at least looked at it, even if you didn't find anything reasonable to change.

Absolutely! We evaluated our systems and ramped them up because of this incident. Do you have any idea how hard it was to watch a lowlife scuzbucket on video filling his pockets with MY money?! I am not willing to provide a free fix to anyone!!

BTW, the cops are really happy that I have the video survellience system I do at both stores. We recently provided footage for another (attempted) robbery at another place of business!

Last edited:

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Maryland doesn't have stand your ground, but you can protect yourself. It's possible you could still be prosecuted, but as long as you can convince a jury that you believed that the only thing you could do to protect yourself or another person was to shoot you'd be okay.

There was the college student in St. Inigoes who was shot recently after breaking into a house while intoxicated. He was charged, the homeowner was not.

good news

Goldenhawk

I could see myself getting sued. In todays society when a homeowner can be sued by the person he shot while breaking into his house, yeah, I believe I could be sued for my guns being stolen and used in a crime.
In all this discussion and outrage over failure to keep guns from being stolen because they will probably kill law-abiding citizens (an outrage which which I agree), I am honestly surprised nobody is expressing equal outrage over the recent US Government's horrible and certainly illegal policy of releasing thousands of guns to criminals, many of which have already been used in murders of both US and Mexican citizens.

ATF gunwalking scandal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm glad I don't keep my gun in my safe because the ####bags that broke into my house last year stole the safe.

You cannot "reasonably" protect yourself from court-sanctioned criminals. They will take your stuff as they please, even if it means busting through a freaking concrete wall to get to it.

And another observation:

This is how it works. Maybe the government cannot completely ban gun sales in this country, but they can sure make it next to impossible to be a gun dealer by imposing strict regulations and prohibitively expensive security measures (that don't work).

They perhaps cannot ban gun ownership by private citizens, but they can enact laws so draconian that no normal person would be able to abide by them.

And as that happens, law-abiding folk will not be selling or owning guns anymore - but you better believe that will not keep criminals from doing it.

Danzig

I have put in a request to the MSP to find out how many guns total have been stolen from the Tackle Box in the past 10 years.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Do your own homework gilligan!

That's a silly thing to say," I have done all the research and found that it has never happened" now you have to prove otherwise or else tacitly admit my research was adequet, that's why the onus is on the person making the original statement.