Tackling technique...

BuddyLee

Football addict
It was already against the rules but the fine was so slight that it did not deter anyone from doing it. All the NFL has done is stiffen the fine to make what is already illegal more detrimental.
Why haven't they come out and said as much. They're not giving any sort of definition as the aforementioned rule suggests.

If players know they can't hit a certain part of the body, fine. Don't tell them they can't hit the opponent as hard as they can in other areas though.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
He didn't do that last week.:lol:

Show me where he leads with his helmet.

His mouth didn't help him either.:blahblah:

In other news:

In the SD v. NE game, Brandon Meriwether absolutely BLEW UP a SD receiver and there was no flag. Why? Because he lowered his aiming point by 6 or so inches drove his shoulder into the receiver's chest and had his head to one side of the hittee's body. Textbook hit and takedown vs a textbook hit and wrap tackle.

Zguy28

Why haven't they come out and said as much. They're not giving any sort of definition as the aforementioned rule suggests.

If players know they can't hit a certain part of the body, fine. Don't tell them they can't hit the opponent as hard as they can in other areas though.

NFL.com news: Cover 2 defense a big factor in helmet-to-helmet hits

Interesting rule in the NFL rulebook:

Rule 12, Section 2, Article 8h:

If a receiver has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself, a defensive player is prohibited from launching (spring forward and upward) into him in a way that causes the defensive player's helmet, facemask, shoulder, or forearm to forcibly strike the receiver's head or neck area -- even if the initial contact of the defender's helmet, facemask, shoulder or forearm is lower than the receiver's neck.

So its illegal already to make any neck or head contact on a defenseless receiver like when WR's or TE's running pattern over the middle of the field.

Last edited:

Otter

Nothing to see here
All the shots in question were illegal AND intentional. As has been said time and again, what mattered is the league allowed people to basically get away with it and now, they've put a stop to it.

The DeSean Jackson hit, which I have looked at 50 times, was not an intentional helmet to the head, IMO. If you're bending to tackle someone, your head goes down, and I will never believe that the DB was doing anything but making a hard hit.

Granted, everyone is bigger, faster, heavier..and something needs to be done to slow things down before someone gets killed. But, I have a hard time believing in an administration that mandated a penalty for 10 or 20 second celebrations after touchdowns, I think most of them are out to lunch and have no clue.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The DeSean Jackson hit, which I have looked at 50 times, was not an intentional helmet to the head, IMO. If you're bending to tackle someone, your head goes down, and I will never believe that the DB was doing anything but making a hard hit.

Granted, everyone is bigger, faster, heavier..and something needs to be done to slow things down before someone gets killed. But, I have a hard time believing in an administration that mandated a penalty for 10 or 20 second celebrations after touchdowns, I think most of them are out to lunch and have no clue.

You got me there. :lol:

Best I can do is argue that even the blind squirell finds an acorn once in awhile.

As for the hit, it's a technique thing. It's a conscious decision, not an involuntary action as evidenced by the complete lack of crown shots this past weekend. Just look at the players (the defenders) head right before contact and what he does with his legs. It's very much like two bucks going after each other when it's done to hit with the crown. A snap, launch action and distinct arching of the neck.

Proper tackling is like a truck smashing into something intentionally, a thing of terrible beauty.

Proper;

Improper;

Note the neck arch. The body position. They both get up, no neck and/or head damage but, a rock solid decleater on the Fletcher tackle. The DeSean thing is as wrong as it gets. Note the result. Some people seem to like that.

Zguy28

The DeSean thing is as wrong as it gets. Note the result. Some people seem to like that.
Yep, in the video you can see the defender spring forward and up into the head/neck area of Jackson when he was defenseless. It's a clear rule violation.

However, Jackson and Kolb also need to be able to read that zone coverage. Kolb should never have thrown it to him either.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yep, in the video you can see the defender spring forward and up into the head/neck area of Jackson when he was defenseless. It's a clear rule violation.

However, Jackson and Kolb also need to be able to read that zone coverage. Kolb should never have thrown it to him either.

That's between Kolb and Jackson after the game. :lol:

The point is that what's his face CHOSE to hit Jackson improperly because it isn't (wasn't enforced) and it is expected by coaches and players and fans to go for the big kill shot in order to help your team win; it gets a threat off the field, Jackson, it maybe causes a turnover. He could have easily hit him clean.

The players need this sort of guidance. They've already chosen to accept the risks, be what they may, and it's up to the people in charge to limit the truly bad stuff.

Beta84

They're out to get us
With your shoulder pad. That's a better way, and it's proper tackling. If you are intentionally closing on a ball carrier with intent to stop him, you should strike with the shoulder pad with your helmet across the front of the torso. Not only does the shoulder pad deliver the blow better and more safely, but the helmet than can serve as an impediment to the runner but still fulfill it role as a protector instead of a weapon (this is the role of the shoulder pad).

One thing that good coaches harp on is "low man wins" for both blocking and tackling. You hit a man high and he will likely throw you off. Poor technique leads to broken tackles, so rather than improving technique, guys lead with the helmet instead.
And you don't think that while they're trying to make a tackle and naturally reacting, that making a tackle leading with your shoulder pad (which coincidentally is RIGHT NEXT TO YOUR HELMET) could potentially lead to a helmet to helmet tackle?

He didn't do that last week.:lol:

Show me where he leads with his helmet.

He didn't do it this past week, that's my point. But he did it on both of those nasty hits in the Cleveland game.

Zguy28

And you don't think that while they're trying to make a tackle and naturally reacting, that making a tackle leading with your shoulder pad (which coincidentally is RIGHT NEXT TO YOUR HELMET) could potentially lead to a helmet to helmet tackle?
Sure, if you are springing forward and up which is illegal (even if it starts lower than the neck).

I see guys on the field naturally react all the time. That's why Holding, Face-mask, Tripping, and Illegal Block penalties are called. I guess we should allow those too. :coffee:

T

toppick08

Sure, if you are springing forward and up which is illegal (even if it starts lower than the neck).

I see guys on the field naturally react all the time. That's why Holding, Face-mask, Tripping, and Illegal Block penalties are called. I guess we should allow those too. :coffee:

Good ole' Sammy did...:shrug:

BuddyLee

Football addict
He didn't do it this past week, that's my point. But he did it on both of those nasty hits in the Cleveland game.
Both players were low to the ground, thus his helmet went lower. He didn't hit them with his helmet at all.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Good ole' Sammy did...:shrug:
DeAngelo Hall was the 19th player in league history to intercept four passes in a sinlge game.

Know who was the first?

Sammy Baugh. Against the Lions, he not only intercepted four passes but also threw for four TD's, recovered a fumble and booted an 80+ yard punt.

T

toppick08

DeAngelo Hall was the 19th player in league history to intercept four passes in a sinlge game.

Know who was the first?

Sammy Baugh. Against the Lions, he not only intercepted four passes but also threw for four TD's, recovered a fumble and booted an 80+ yard punt.

I know....:yawn:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
To not advance the technology of the game would be as silly as those who, I am sure, argued that leather helmets would ruin the game.

Actully, research point to there being ANY helmet as being the problem.

A sport that is rougher than football, full contact sport, where players are tackled in open fields at full run do NOT wear helmets or pads and their number of serious injury and concussions are significantly less. So I would say maybe the leather helmets WERE the downfall of the sport, or at least a factor in the number and severity of injury.

Zguy28

Actully, research point to there being ANY helmet as being the problem.

A sport that is rougher than football, full contact sport, where players are tackled in open fields at full run do NOT wear helmets or pads and their number of serious injury and concussions are significantly less. So I would say maybe the leather helmets WERE the downfall of the sport, or at least a factor in the number and severity of injury.
I think on TV they showed that Rugby players tackle about with half the force, but twice as often in a game and with no pads. I wonder how many concussions there are in Rugby Union?