Tax dollars at work: horse slaughter

KandJ

There are more available dogs, cats, and horses because of the economy. The horse breeding industry has largely failed to adjust to this. Stories of increasing numbers of dogs and cats taken to shelters and rescues are not met with pleas for slaughter for human consumption.

There is an overpopulation of cats and dogs, they are humanely euthanized if not homed. Horses can be humanely euthanized. There are clinics where people get licensed to do this. Renderers pick up the carcasses or they are buried. This practice is considered humane. Since there is a need for humane euthanizing of dogs and cats, the service is available. It is available for horses as well and would most likely grow if more humane disposal was required.

I heard a story recently of a family getting outbid by a kill buyer for a pony at a horse auction. The family wanted the pony for their daughter. People who go to horse auctions talk about the kill buyers jacking up the prices of the horses that rescues bid on. Horse slaughter is market driven, Europeans pay $20 a pound for horse meat, that money goes to the foreign owners of the processing plants, not the plant site communities. It is a gourmet meal, not sent to feed starving populations. The EU is getting increasingly worried about the amount of medications found in American horse meat.

If there are many horses at an auction and no private buyers, than there needs to be better advertising and networking for the sale of these animals. I would not take a dog to an auction and expect it to find a home in the minute or less it would be given in front of buyers, can't expect a horse to.

If the five year old racehorse was not sound for pasture and could not be rehomed, it should have been humanely euthanized, not sent to auction then shipped thousands of miles in a packed truck. The odds of it making the journey are low. Lame or disabled cows are not trailered long distances for slaughter, they are humanely euthanized.

Last edited:

fredsaid2

There are more available dogs, cats, and horses because of the economy. The horse breeding industry has largely failed to adjust to this. Stories of increasing numbers of dogs and cats taken to shelters and rescues are not met with pleas for slaughter for human consumption.

Horses can be humanely euthanized.

If there are many horses at an auction and no private buyers, than there needs to be better advertising and networking for the sale of these animals. I would not take a dog to an auction and expect it to find a home in the minute or less it would be given in front of buyers, can't expect a horse to.

There were more horses available than owners long before the economy tanked.

Euthanasia is an option, where do you see the burial sites being located? That's a lot of horses to bury.

You had another idea for better networking and advertising for people selling at auction. Who would pay for this? Plus, if you can't get buyers at meat prices who do you see buying those animals?

The gist of this is money. The people who own the horses don't want to pay. They want to cut their losses.

I go back to the idea of controlling the population. The thought of microchips might tie the horse to a current owner making them financially responsible. Another thought is regulated breeding. Males are gelded unless the horse meets requirements to stand at stud. Just thoughts.

Yes, slaughter is not what we'd wish, but what's your alternative?

KandJ

Controlling the population is a wonderful idea. Breeders are motivated by money and will complain of loss of income and freedoms etc. Many farms have stopped breeding because there is low to no demand. Irresponsible owners may need a live birth tax or a license to breed. It is not illegal now to sell a horse at slaughter so there is no reason to keep track of the current owner. If people do not want to pay for humane euthanasia, I would think adding mandatory fees such as micro-chipping will not be popular. It is the market that determines the number of horses bred. If there are no kill buyers to buy 'leftovers' then those horses will not be bred.

Horses are euthanized by responsible owners everyday and buried on the property they live. There are companies that pick up deceased horses and recycle the remains. There are horse crematories and cemeteries. There are low cost euthanasia assistance programs. The easy way out is selling for slaughter.

Auctions are not widely advertised to the public. Some auction horses are networked online everyday, thousands have found homes. This was not my idea, it has been going on for years. Facebook has several sites, New Holland Direct, Sugarcreek Horse Saves, Auction Horses, and Camelot Horse Weekly are a few. Who pays for it? No one, it is all volunteer. The people who pull these horses are competing with kill buyers at auction.

It is not my wish nor responsibility to provide an easy out alternative to slaughter. There are alternatives to slaughter already.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
I'm on my phone so can't give you details but most of the auction horse rescues are scams and frauds, like Camelot which is currently inactive after getting in trouble. Lts of people want to help but it's hard to know who is legit and who isn't. In the past year multiple well known "rescues" have been shut down for fraud and animal abuse.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I'm on my phone so can't give you details but most of the auction horse rescues are scams and frauds, like Camelot which is currently inactive after getting in trouble. Lts of people want to help but it's hard to know who is legit and who isn't. In the past year multiple well known "rescues" have been shut down for fraud and animal abuse.

:yeahthat: bend over

KandJ

Camelot Auction House is an auction house that sells horses as well as other stuff. They lost their horse broker license because of coggins report errors. Camelot Horse Weekly are volunteers who network the horses to find them homes. The others I listed buy horses from auctions and then network those horses to find homes at cost, they are volunteers, not 501 rescues or brokers.

There are good and bad rescues (horse, dog, cat etc), just like any business.

Congress considers ending horse slaughter for meat | Philadelphia Inquirer | 01/19/2012