Teachers allegedly told to favor black students in ‘racial equity’ training

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

What makes you think they don't?
When was the last time you saw on a news show, cable/TV, video feed, newspaper, any modern communication vehicle to the masses, for weeks on end, that any black person was being drawn over the coals, lambasted, nailed to the cross, publicly embarrassed, fired from their job, lost a contract, deleted from Facebook, Instagram, any social media site for saying any of those words?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
When was the last time you saw on a news show, cable/TV, video feed, newspaper, any modern communication vehicle to the masses, for weeks on end, that any black person was being drawn over the coals, lambasted, nailed to the cross, publicly embarrassed, fired from their job, lost a contract, deleted from Facebook, Instagram, any social media site for saying any of those words?

Prominent black people get their asses handed to them all the time for making hateful racial remarks and spewing slurs against white people. Granted, the America-hater news outlets aren't going to spend any time on this because their business model is disparaging whites and pandering to POC, but if you leave it up the We the People the racists/bigots of all ethnicity will get raked.

For TV we have Fox. That's it. And its pundit shows do indeed shine a spotlight on prominent black racists.

Twitter and FB do ban their accounts.

They do lose their jobs.

This_person

Prominent black people get their asses handed to them all the time for making hateful racial remarks and spewing slurs against white people. Granted, the America-hater news outlets aren't going to spend any time on this because their business model is disparaging whites and pandering to POC, but if you leave it up the We the People the racists/bigots of all ethnicity will get raked.

For TV we have Fox. That's it. And its pundit shows do indeed shine a spotlight on prominent black racists.

Twitter and FB do ban their accounts.

They do lose their jobs.
But, no one "bleeps" out cracker, honkey, gringo....not even here. But they do bleep ****** - as do you here.

If you believe people view the different characterizations equally, be equal in the way YOU handle them.

No one says, "the 'h' word" when talking about honkey, but most everyone says "the 'n' word" when talking about ******. The Jeffersons was just redone live on TV, and they had to bleep out when Mr. Jefferson said to a white guy (about the white guy's black wife) that when they fight the white guy wants to call his wife ******. They didn't bleep it in the original, but they bleep it today. When the black wife says she doesn't think to call him honkey, they didn't bleep honkey.

I think people look at the words differently. It's wrong to do so, but it's just reality that they do.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think people look at the words differently. It's wrong to do so, but it's just reality that they do.

I frankly admit I look at it differently. As a white person, I am not particularly offended by the names low-rent trash people call me. What do you expect from low-rent trash people anyway? Couth?

The N-word has been verboten my whole entire life - and I am more than a half century old. It's a word white trash rednecks use to pretend they're better than even the most educated and accomplished black person. If you want to use it, be my guest....but you're not going to do it in MY house.

This_person

I frankly admit I look at it differently. As a white person, I am not particularly offended by the names low-rent trash people call me. What do you expect from low-rent trash people anyway? Couth?

The N-word has been verboten my whole entire life - and I am more than a half century old. It's a word white trash rednecks use to pretend they're better than even the most educated and accomplished black person. If you want to use it, be my guest....but you're not going to do it in MY house.
I'm not a fan of the word. I tend to not use it outside of an academic discussion like this one where it is not aimed at a person or justified, simply discussed.

If you don't want it in YOUR house, but you are okay with honkey, cracker, gringo, etc., then you are fully admitting what you were questioning; ****** is more offensive than those words. There's no reason to question it if you demonstrate it.

In my personal opinion, it makes no sense to call someone a "bad" word based on race or gender or anything else. No one chooses their sex or their race, and not even close to all people of a given race or sex are "the same" in any way of how they act, so it is purely a sign of the ignorance of the name-caller to call names like that. But, I get that it is wrong to call someone a ******, worse so than calling someone a gringo. Not because it is actually worse, but because we, as a society, have agreed it is worse.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Not because it is actually worse, but because we, as a society, have agreed it is worse.

You know, also because black people do have it rough in this country, what with Democrats trying to destroy their communities and families, and constantly telling them they're stupid and inferior. Lately they've even been going so far as to encourage black women to kill their babies - not just abortion, but their born children.

So really, given all they're up against, I'm inclined to cut them a break.

This_person

You know, also because black people do have it rough in this country, what with Democrats trying to destroy their communities and families, and constantly telling them they're stupid and inferior. Lately they've even been going so far as to encourage black women to kill their babies - not just abortion, but their born children.

So really, given all they're up against, I'm inclined to cut them a break.
I'm not. I'm all for equality.

Toxick

Splat
Not because it is actually worse, but because we, as a society, have agreed it is worse.

Well language is like that. There is literally no way that a word can be "objectively" worse. A word is a semi-arbitrary collection of noises that we as a society agree mean things.

One could argue that objectively one concept could be worse than another - I would argue that we as a society have also agreed (subjectively) that one concept is worse than another.

In our society, we have agreed (as a whole - regardless of whether you, personally, agree or not) that black people (and other minorities) have been shat on far more than white people, and therefore slurs directed at white people are less damaging and hurtful. Whether you like it or not, that's the way it is.

And let's be honest - are you, honest to God - seriously offended if someone calls you a cracker or a honkey. Because I sure as **** couldn't care less. Maybe that's my 'white privilege' that I can afford not to care. I dunno, but the word "honkey" sounds funny to my ears and the only emotion I feel when I hear it is mild amusement.

In our society the word "see you in Toledo" (you know what I'm talking about) will make any woman in earshot go bat-crap crazy. Say the same word in Australia, and it's a word a just a hair north of "a-hole". Because we have agreed it's worse.

I guess my point is: context and subjectivity is of the utmost importance with regard to language - and should be treated as such.

Funny aside. My son has a bunch of black friends that he plays online games with. And they have granted him an "N-Word Pass" (yeah, apparently that's a thing), where he can use that word with them they same way they use it with each other. I have never heard him actually say it - I'm not sure if that's his choice, or if he knows old dad doesn't tolerate that crap, n-word pass or not.

This_person

Well language is like that. There is literally no way that a word can be "objectively" worse. A word is a semi-arbitrary collection of noises that we as a society agree mean things.

One could argue that objectively one concept could be worse than another - I would argue that we as a society have also agreed (subjectively) that one concept is worse than another.

In our society, we have agreed (as a whole - regardless of whether you, personally, agree or not) that black people (and other minorities) have been shat on far more than white people, and therefore slurs directed at white people are less damaging and hurtful. Whether you like it or not, that's the way it is.

And let's be honest - are you, honest to God - seriously offended if someone calls you a cracker or a honkey. Because I sure as **** couldn't care less. Maybe that's my 'white privilege' that I can afford not to care. I dunno, but the word "honkey" sounds funny to my ears and the only emotion I feel when I hear it is mild amusement.

In our society the word "see you in Toledo" (you know what I'm talking about) will make any woman in earshot go bat-crap crazy. Say the same word in Australia, and it's a word a just a hair north of "a-hole". Because we have agreed it's worse.

I guess my point is: context and subjectivity is of the utmost importance with regard to language - and should be treated as such.

Funny aside. My son has a bunch of black friends that he plays online games with. And they have granted him an "N-Word Pass" (yeah, apparently that's a thing), where he can use that word with them they same way they use it with each other. I have never heard him actually say it - I'm not sure if that's his choice, or if he knows old dad doesn't tolerate that crap, n-word pass or not.
For me, personally, I am far more offended by gringo than honkey or cracker, but that's because I (subjectively) believe it is meant with more disdain and contempt. But, the fact is, the "meant with" is the real source of offense someone should take, not just a word.

Why is it that your son's friends use the word if it is so offensive? My belief is that they know the person using it does not mean it with the disdain and contempt that someone else may mean by using it. That is an assumption of the offended, not necessarily on the part of the offender.

This is why I believe that if the word is considered "bad" by society, it should be considered bad for use by all. There is a base assumption that if a white person uses the word ****** it is meant with, or otherwise filled with, contempt and disdain for the target audience. That is inherently racist and unfair. And, if we want to be fair, we must fairly insult and verbally abuse all the same.

Do you think the average black person really gives a crap if this website blocks out the word ******? I'm guessing they care even less about that then they do whether or not some century-old statue stands in a park somewhere of a person they think might have harmed some ancestors they never knew about. That is to say, unless they are of the perpetually offended nature, they could not care less. I could not care less about some racist person calling me a gringo just because that person thinks my race has something to do with bad living conditions in some third-world south/central American country. It really just points to the ignorance of the person who means it with disdain against a group of inherently different people, nothing against me personally. Just like some racist using the word ****** with disdain and contempt - it's all about how dumb that person is, not actually offensive to someone with even a slight bit of self-worth.

Just my humble opinion.

To finish the thought, though, I know those people exist. So, I don't call my fellow white people gringos to "take back that word", and I don't call black people ******s, and I don't call Hispanic people spics, or Irish people micks, or really call anyone anything that encompasses a whole race, because I'm smart enough to know no one represents a race.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I dunno, but the word "honkey" sounds funny to my ears and the only emotion I feel when I hear it is mild amusement.

That's because it's such a George Jefferson 70s kind of word. "Cracker" is hilarious when used in the right context. "You lil crackers are just cute as the dickens!" Our whole English language could be a South Park script and that wouldn't bother me one little bit.

Cracker at least has some context. Where did "honkey" come from?

Smokey1

That's because it's such a George Jefferson 70s kind of word. "Cracker" is hilarious when used in the right context. "You lil crackers are just cute as the dickens!" Our whole English language could be a South Park script and that wouldn't bother me one little bit.

Cracker at least has some context. Where did "honkey" come from?

I heard it was because white people's voice sounded a certain way by black people but the Urban Dictionary has a few other ideas.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=honky

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
And they have granted him an "N-Word Pass" (yeah, apparently that's a thing), where he can use that word with them they same way they use it with each other.

the N word only matters when political points need to be made