Team USA - 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
Rant on....

Alright, does anyone else find that Ashley Wagner gets under their skin???

My husband just loves her and me; blah.... she seems like a snob that needs her spoiled butt kicked. She fought so hard to get on the team to go because technically, she was not skating well beforehand and actually fell on her butt at her last competition and a 15 year old peaked that show, forgot her name. Anyway, my husband just got to watch her skate for the team and when the judges gave her score, she mumbled "this is bullshiat"

How rotten of her... Cameras were right on her and my husband FINALLY says... "yeah, I get what you've been saying...."

I hope she falls on her spoiled rotten butt in the single competition. I think her team will giggle too because you can see the tensions that exists.

rant off. :blushing:

Talk about having a bitchy resting face! :lol:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I am enjoying, very much, womens hockey.

They're pretty good without being such polished professionals like the men. The ladies blow breakaways, make really bad passes, you can see them over thinking sometimes AND they make some really good passes, bury good chances and play some really good hockey.

What I am trying to say is it looks like amateurs, really good ones who have dedicated a lot of time and effort and heart into this and NOT just another batch of professionals who do this for a living.

I dunno. In this day and age of pros all over the place, basketball, hockey, so forth, it just feels like the Olympics again. Like it was when I was a kid. Pro's make it feel like what it is to them; just another day at the office.

:buddies:

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I am enjoying, very much, womens hockey.

They're pretty good without being such polished professionals like the men. The ladies blow breakaways, make really bad passes, you can see them over thinking sometimes AND they make some really good passes, bury good chances and play some really good hockey.

What I am trying to say is it looks like amateurs, really good ones who have dedicated a lot of time and effort and heart into this and NOT just another batch of professionals who do this for a living.

I dunno. In this day and age of pros all over the place, basketball, hockey, so forth, it just feels like the Olympics again. Like it was when I was a kid. Pro's make it feel like what it is to them; just another day at the office.

:buddies:

We are recording and will have to watch it tonight. :cheers:

And MJ, excellent description... :lol: So many countries think of Americans as spoiled brats and to act like that when all are watching is embarrassing to us all.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
The hockey is really fun to watch, along with anything fast downhill. But I have my jones going on right now for curling.

Sorry.:buddies:

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Big deal. :bigwhoop:

I know this chick in Southern Maryland. A former colleague of hers has a grand niece playing on the women's hockey team.

:killingme

But how many times removed?

A family at our church has a second grandson that just received scholarship to play football at a 1AA school, the other at a 1A school. And I actually know both the young dudes!

Edward Snowden’s weasel ways

:killingme as well.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The hockey is really fun to watch, along with anything fast downhill. But I have my jones going on right now for curling.

Sorry.:buddies:

Curling!!!! Olympic SPORT!!!! Why not darts? Or bocce ball?

:roflmao:

"Tonight, live from Sochi, the finals of the mens marbles competition..."

How the heck is curling an Olympic sport and they dropped wrestling?

(I know they put wrestling back in but, man!)

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Curling!!!! Olympic SPORT!!!! Why not darts? Or bocce ball?

:roflmao:

"Tonight, live from Sochi, the finals of the mens marbles competition..."

How the heck is curling an Olympic sport and they dropped wrestling?

(I know they put wrestling back in but, man!)

I don't know why curling is, but it is.:killingme It's like watching paint dry, but with all the shrieks! I think it's a pretty neat game, though. I'd like to try it.

TPD

the poor dad
I don't know why curling is, but it is.:killingme It's like watching paint dry, but with all the shrieks! I think it's a pretty neat game, though. I'd like to try it.

My daughter and I were mesmerized with the Curling competition yesterday. I told her the same thing - I would like to try it, if for no other reason, just to wear the cool pants! :dye:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
My daughter and I were mesmerized with the Curling competition yesterday. I told her the same thing - I would like to try it, if for no other reason, just to wear the cool pants! :dye:

It's a cool looking game but, it's not a sport. Neither is horseshoes. Or sweeping the porch. :lol:

b23hqb

PREMO Member
It's a cool looking game but, it's not a sport. Neither is horseshoes. Or sweeping the porch. :lol:

I'll agree with that - it's not a sport, but I have watched a lot of it during the last two Olympics. I know I have a lot of 'splainin to do, Luzy, but I just can't 'splain it.:yahoo:

I'd bet there's lots of those stones at the bottom of lakes or ponds resulting from avid curlers that just don't get the concept of thaw.

File:Curling on a lake in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada, ca. 1897.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'll agree with that - it's not a sport, but I have watched a lot of it during the last two Olympics. I know I have a lot of 'splainin to do, Luzy, but I just can't 'splain it.:yahoo:

No explanation needed, at all. At least it's not a judged event like figure skating and this snow board X games crap. So, in that respect, it is a sport.

Figure skating, for sure, is athletic but, it's not a competition when you're efforts are judged; it's an exhibition.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
No explanation needed, at all. At least it's not a judged event like figure skating and this snow board X games crap. So, in that respect, it is a sport.

Figure skating, for sure, is athletic but, it's not a competition when you're efforts are judged; it's an exhibition.

Like diving and synchronized gymnastics, etc. Judges can be swayed or bought off too easily. I rarely watch figure skating, but when I do it is the girls. I get too nervous waiting for the crushing fall that ruins their dreams.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Like diving and synchronized gymnastics, etc. Judges can be swayed or bought off too easily. I rarely watch figure skating, but when I do it is the girls. I get too nervous waiting for the crushing fall that ruins their dreams.

Swayed, bought off, simple human bias, headache, got something in their eye at a key instant. If it's judged, it ain't a competition.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Was it Katarina Witt that would lock onto one judges eyes before her program? She only lost once in intl competition to Debi Thomas, and her last, over the hill attempt in Norway, I believe.

What a beauty she was, and the anticipation by the media on which judge she was going to mesmerize before she even started her skate was as big a deal as her routine.

I think it was against E German law for her to fall down.:killingme

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Just watched our girls fall to Canada in hockey. Hope they don't get swept away.