Tell me a deer story

Wickedwrench

Stubborn and opinionated
C-Murda said:
The rewards of killin a dumb animal, with a high powered rifle, you should be pround.

No, the reward is eating said dumb animal after you shoot it with the high powered rifle.:yum:

Hessian

Sure hope...

some hunter put the young buck out of its pain kicking around on Brandywine road this morning. Kind of sad...I am glad my 11 year old didn't see it.

Looked like it was clipped & was now immobile except for 2 legs.
If I carried a rifle I would have tried to finish its pain but...

On a brighter topic...I have a literal deer highway cutting through my fields up in NY. When I move: I plan on having venison for at least two months out of a year!

I did not get one this weekend. Passed up a shot on a nice big buck. Too much underbrush and too far away for me to feel comfortable with the shot. Would rather watch one walk away than wound it.

My buddy was huntig for me (need the meat) on Saturday and Sunday. He let some little ones go by both days. He mercy shot a doe last night, right before end of time. She had 1 leg up while walking, he figured she had been wounded, so he shot her. Since she was close enough, he took a head shot. Absolutely PERFECT shot. I'd post the picture, except I KNOW there'd be pizzed off PETA people. He shot her in the head, straight on, took the top of her head clean off. Literally blew her brains out. As in, her skull was almost completely empty. Talk about a painless death for her. She was dead before her legs buckled. When we butchered he, we opened up the wound on her leg. It looks like she was hit by a car last year. Joint was frozen with her leg folded up. Her hoof was a good 5" long due to not being worn down by walking.

huntr1 said:
I did not get one this weekend. Passed up a shot on a nice big buck. Too much underbrush and too far away for me to feel comfortable with the shot. Would rather watch one walk away than wound it.

My buddy was huntig for me (need the meat) on Saturday and Sunday. He let some little ones go by both days. He mercy shot a doe last night, right before end of time. She had 1 leg up while walking, he figured she had been wounded, so he shot her. Since she was close enough, he took a head shot. Absolutely PERFECT shot. I'd post the picture, except I KNOW there'd be pizzed off PETA people. He shot her in the head, straight on, took the top of her head clean off. Literally blew her brains out. As in, her skull was almost completely empty. Talk about a painless death for her. She was dead before her legs buckled. When we butchered he, we opened up the wound on her leg. It looks like she was hit by a car last year. Joint was frozen with her leg folded up. Her hoof was a good 5" long due to not being worn down by walking.
We've had one of those in our area for a few years. She seems to be getting along ok, but it's sad to watch.

desertrat said:
We've had one of those in our area for a few years. She seems to be getting along ok, but it's sad to watch.
This one was shot in Croom. There was a huge difference in muscle size between the two front legs due to non use of the crippled one. Yes, she was surviving, but not well. Definately a mercy killing.

huntr1 said:
This one was shot in Croom. There was a huge difference in muscle size between the two front legs due to non use of the crippled one. Yes, she was surviving, but not well. Definately a mercy killing.
I've been tempted to perform one myself.

bcp

In My Opinion
Now, Im sure that killin a deer with that rifle is a right manly thing to do, but a few years back my uncle leroy (he was adopted) decided to go out and hunt the deer on its own terms.

So uncle leroy strapped a set of antlers to his head with duct tape, sprayed himself down with scent and off into the woods he went.

as I remember, he looked pretty good after the mortician got done with him, it really was a nice service too.

I checked on my trail camera behind the house tonight. Still no pictures. So I moved it. Then I took the time to walk around a bit. Found the major highway of a deer trail. Decided to follow it. Should have taken the shotgun with me. Jumped a herd of deer (saw 3, but based there had to be atleast that many more). Wouldn't have had a shot at them even if I had the gun. Continued on down the trail. Got to the back of my neighborhood. In walking by a stormwater pond, I was less than 15' from the fence around it when I stopped to decide how to get thru the big muddy patch. That's when the big honkin doe jumped up. She was in the thicket up against the fence of the stormwater pond. She jumped up and looked at me, then ran off. I wouldn't have even needed to aim. At that distance, there is no way I could have missed just by pointing the gun in her direction. Oh well. No gun, no shots, thus no deer taken tonight. May go back there on Wed. night before the Cub Scout meeting.

gumby

I AM GUMBY DAMMIT
True story. I have never hunted deer in my life. Ever. I have always been a bird hunter and have always enjoyed it. I hooked up with a friend with 600 acres and he asked me this spring, to care for the property. Just make sure there weren't people all over the place breaking up stuff. It's not much of a working farm. They plant maybe 50 acres in beans but that's it. I checked the place almost daily and noticed many fat dove flying and laying everywhere. He told me to have a ball and I did. Took 30 some birds over the season. The farm also has prolly a half mile of riverfront. My buddy and I talked him into licensing the shore for duck blinds and we have had much success. He asked me last week if I'd come down and help him police the property on opening day. Of course I agreed. I told him that I would police as I hunted and he was fine with that. Got there around 5 AM. Don't laugh but I sat in a goose blind by the field till sunlight. I saw a big doe coming to me but she didn't want to help, so I moved a little closer to the shore where I'd seen a doe from the duck blind the day before. Sure enough, a half hour later a spike buck came running thru the field around 30 yards from me. I hit him in the upper front shoulder at a dead run. The slug went thru both front shoulders and he dropped. I look and here comes a 8 point about 60 yards out so I shoot and miss. Next came the ten point at a gallop. I shot but of course missed. Hey, I'm new to this stuff. I'm shocked I hit the first one. Sorry, but I didn't take any pics. I did take some pics in the blind on Friday.

gumby said:
True story. I have never hunted deer in my life. Ever. I have always been a bird hunter and have always enjoyed it. I hooked up with a friend with 600 acres and he asked me this spring, to care for the property. Just make sure there weren't people all over the place breaking up stuff. It's not much of a working farm. They plant maybe 50 acres in beans but that's it. I checked the place almost daily and noticed many fat dove flying and laying everywhere. He told me to have a ball and I did. Took 30 some birds over the season. The farm also has prolly a half mile of riverfront. My buddy and I talked him into licensing the shore for duck blinds and we have had much success. He asked me last week if I'd come down and help him police the property on opening day. Of course I agreed. I told him that I would police as I hunted and he was fine with that. Got there around 5 AM. Don't laugh but I sat in a goose blind by the field till sunlight. I saw a big doe coming to me but she didn't want to help, so I moved a little closer to the shore where I'd seen a doe from the duck blind the day before. Sure enough, a half hour later a spike buck came running thru the field around 30 yards from me. I hit him in the upper front shoulder at a dead run. The slug went thru both front shoulders and he dropped. I look and here comes a 8 point about 60 yards out so I shoot and miss. Next came the ten point at a gallop. I shot but of course missed. Hey, I'm new to this stuff. I'm shocked I hit the first one. Sorry, but I didn't take any pics. I did take some pics in the blind on Friday.
Be glad you missed the second buck. Can't shoot a second buck until you take a pair of does.

Nickster

Congrats on your buck, I'm still trying for mine. Sat. saw 16 deer, all does and fawns and 1 buck. 8 point out to his ears. Watched him for a while but decided to wait for something bigger, which never came.

Taken a head shot once before, instant kill. But I then read an article of a guy who took a head shot and hit a little low. He blew off the deers entire bottom jaw. She ran off and eventually starved to death from not having a jaw to eat with. Very painful death. I try to stick to a double lung shot only which seems to be the most efficient and humane.

B

Bronwyn

Sad to say

The monster buck running around the cove point area was hit and killed by a car. A hunter found it in the woods about 75 yards from Cove Point road. It had been there for about a week. He took the antlers off of it though and a friend of mine tooks some pictures of them.

Ponytail

I went last Monday and Tuesday and saw one deer while walking into the woods in the dark on Monday, and that was the last. Things are definitely changing up there. Time to find new hunting grounds, right?

Well, my cousin went back up there this past Saturday and got the biggest 8 point I have ever seen. Dunno what the spread is yet or what the monster weighed in yet, but it's by far the biggest one gotten in at least 50 years of my family hunting that area.

Attachments

• steve with 8-pointer 002.jpg
    steve with 8-pointer 002.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Ponytail said:
I went last Monday and tuesday and saw one deer while walking into the woods in the dark on monday, and that was the last. Thinsg are definitely changing up there. time to find new hunting grounds right?

Well, my cousin went back up there this past Saturday and got the biggest 8 point I have ever seen. Dunn what teh spread is yet or what the monster weighed in yet, but it's by far the biggest one gotten in at least 50 years of my family hunting that area.
That is one BEAUTIFUL rack. Nice and thick, good color. I'd definately be proud to have that on my wall. Congrats to your cousin.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Ponytail said:
I went last Monday and Tuesday and saw one deer while walking into the woods in the dark on Monday, and that was the last. Things are definitely changing up there. Time to find new hunting grounds, right?

It always has seemed to me, you do not need new grounds but just put in your time. They will show up.

Nice buck!

I going in the morning and tomorrow afternoon. I hope I will have a story for everyone.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
No story for the last day. One of the guys hunting the farm next to me bagged a 14pt non typical, pretty cool looking deer. Sorry I did not have my camera
Anyone else

ashliekay711

C-Murda said:
I hit one in the Escalade the other night, I was mad as hell, I got blood all over my crome. You know how hard that crap is to get off. he wasn't dead yet, so I busted a cap in his ass.

do you realize how retarded you sound? DEEDEEDEE!!!

Spudtrooper

Taking out trailer trash
It was on Marshall Hall Rd. A group of friends and I are in a station wagon.Deer runs out. We hit the deer. I was the one that had to get out and see what happened to the deer. I couldn't see it in the road anywhere! Then click! click! click! It was stuck in the luggage rack on the top of the car! It was awful!

JustynSayneBand

This is the best one... Ga-run-dang-teed !

I took my .50 caliber muzzleloader to hunt deer... I saw nothing but tree rats!

I took my .17 caliber pistol to hunt tree rats... I saw nothing but deer!

I took my .50 Caliber Pistol to hunt whatever moved... it rained!

The End

( Sure wish I could find a 50 / 17 over-under ! )

Dwight
JustynSayne.net