Temporary Separations

CityGrl said:
I have a friend whose bf told her he wanted a break. What he really wanted to do is break up.
I don't think "bf/gf breaks" are in the same category as a break from a commited, long term marriage.

S

Sassygirl

Oz said:
Tell me about it... I'm halfway there! :cheers:

4 weeks to go and counting!!!! I'll be on the phone with the laywer getting those papers for the divorce!!!! :cheers: :cheers: :banana: :banana: :thewave: :thewave:
Do I seem happy about that? :sarcasm:

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
CityGrl said:
What's the law in MD anyways?

In Maryland, once you sign the separation settlement agreement:

Adultery = 30 day uncontested divorce + fine for misdemeanor crime.
NO Adultery = 1 Year waiting period uncontested divorce.

If it's contested, then you get to fight for as long you want to, just so you keep paying your attorney to make the other person's life miserable. (These situations usually end as uncontested divorce once the fighting is over, and follow the 1 year from the date the separation agreement is signed.)

Lord knows why Maryland law penalizes someone who did everything morally correct, but their marriage still didn't work out.

Wickedwrench

Stubborn and opinionated
jazz lady said:
:yeahthat: Maryland has some of the worst divorce laws I've ever seen.
You ain't kidding! If they changed the laws to where the one that bails has to forfeit everything you'd see less of the drama bs that happens around here. Of course, there would probably be more murders though.:lol:

Wickedwrench

Stubborn and opinionated
Oz said:
Lord knows why Maryland law penalizes someone who did everything morally correct, but their marriage still didn't work out.
Because marriage in today's society is a farce. Just something to be thrown away when the greener pasture rolls in. Too bad that pasture is normally full of cow puckeys.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Wickedwrench said:
Because marriage in today's society is a farce. Just something to be thrown away when the greener pasture rolls in. Too bad that pasture is normally full of cow puckeys.

The cynic in me would agree. But there are enough positive examples of marriage around me, that I actually still have the hope that a man and a woman can be married in a productive and rewarding partnership.

Wickedwrench

Stubborn and opinionated
Oz said:
The cynic in me would agree. But there are enough positive examples of marriage around me, that I actually still have the hope that a man and a woman can be married in a productive and rewarding partnership.
I am not without hope myself.:smile:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Oz said:
In Maryland, once you sign the separation settlement agreement:

Adultery = 30 day uncontested divorce + fine for misdemeanor crime.
NO Adultery = 1 Year waiting period uncontested divorce.

If it's contested, then you get to fight for as long you want to, just so you keep paying your attorney to make the other person's life miserable. (These situations usually end as uncontested divorce once the fighting is over, and follow the 1 year from the date the separation agreement is signed.)
There are other grounds other than adultery for the 30-day uncontested, such as desertion, insanity, convinction of a felony, cruelty, and vicious conduct, but I don't think they are used very often. :ohwell:

:yeahthat: I still don't get it. Very archaic laws indeed.

Last edited: