Texas bans safest and most common abortion procedure after 13 weeks

SamSpade

Going forward, absolutely. I would not make it retroactively illegal,

But - you should. That IS what we do when we hunt down Nazis and other mass murderers.

It's hard for me to accept that we "all" give the fetus value when it can be referred to as a "clump of cells" without understanding the difference between that clump and sperm or an egg.

I guess I *can* because for one thing, before implantation, it's not much of anything. Afterwards, it hasn't differentiated into anything much either.
At the emotional level, expectant parents grieve over a miscarriage - but not usually in the first month. At an emotional level, "we" don't give it the same thing.

The thing that makes it more human than a swab of cheek cells is that it will grow into a fully-formed human, separate from the mother,

But while it is not "part" of the mother, it's also not separate. It's nourished through her and virtually everything it needs to develop will come from her. It cannot survive "separately". If she takes drugs or drinks, it WILL affect its development. Warmth, protection from injury, from disease. It's not alone.

On the other hand - it may be that one day we will develop the ability to artificially create a womb where a whole fetus can grow. We may eventually be able to reproduce clones from cells.

I guess I'm not totally on board with the whole "fully human at conception" idea, with attendant rights. Would we extend that to sperm and ova?

if just left where it was willingly placed; a swab of cheek cells, or a fingernail (which will continue to grow after the host person dies), or a sperm/egg will not do that, because they are not individual human life.

(Actually fingernails DON'T do that although that is widely believed. They appear to grow because the finger tissue retracts.)

But they're not left alone - they are placed in a unique chamber that is available to them. Should we gain the ability to grow humans from tissue, it would be the same thing, except one is artificial, and one is natural.

This_person

But - you should. That IS what we do when we hunt down Nazis and other mass murderers.
Because what they did was illegal at the time they did it. That's why I would not make it retroactive. That's not fair to anyone.
I guess I *can* because for one thing, before implantation, it's not much of anything. Afterwards, it hasn't differentiated into anything much either.
At the emotional level, expectant parents grieve over a miscarriage - but not usually in the first month. At an emotional level, "we" don't give it the same thing.
I think if there's a natural miscarriage in the first month we often don't even know for 100% certainty. But, if a mother is aware she has a child, and that child is intentionally killed by someone else I believe the reaction is different. It's all a matter of circumstance.
But while it is not "part" of the mother, it's also not separate. It's nourished through her and virtually everything it needs to develop will come from her. It cannot survive "separately". If she takes drugs or drinks, it WILL affect its development. Warmth, protection from injury, from disease. It's not alone.
Why should we use "survive separately" as any kind of a benchmark. Would anyone survive without food and water? Not for long. Why should this baby be subject to the standard of surviving without the mother when that is what is designed/evolved to be where the baby is at that time?

If you removed the "viable" baby from the womb and set it on a table, how long would it survive? Not long. If you wait until natural birth and placed the baby on a table, how long would it survive? Not long. I simply don't understand why "survive outside the womb" would be considered any kind of a standard.

On the other hand - it may be that one day we will develop the ability to artificially create a womb where a whole fetus can grow. We may eventually be able to reproduce clones from cells.

I guess I'm not totally on board with the whole "fully human at conception" idea, with attendant rights. Would we extend that to sperm and ova?

Really? After my last post about how it's not even the same as a sperm or egg, you ask that?
(Actually fingernails DON'T do that although that is widely believed. They appear to grow because the finger tissue retracts.)

Thank you! I was unaware. Learn something new every day!

But they're not left alone - they are placed in a unique chamber that is available to them. Should we gain the ability to grow humans from tissue, it would be the same thing, except one is artificial, and one is natural.

And, I strongly suspect that if we have incubators full of selected/designed humans in a lab somewhere, and someone intentionally goes through the lab busting up the incubators, we would consider that murder.

Toxick

Splat
If you're this squeamish, you're gonna hate it when the only thing left is Soylent Green.

I'm not that squeamish. I watch piranhas tear cows apart.
I also watched that movie where Hannibal Lecter fed Ray Liotta sautéed morsels of his own frontal lobe.

IRL though - I think it's kinda jacked up when an animal is fed members of it's own species.

For some reason, Praying mantis's and Black Widows' mating habits don't rub me the wrong way.
Maybe it's only when it happens to animals that are not naturally cannibalistic that I find disconcerting.

Wishbone

I'm not that squeamish. I watch piranhas tear cows apart.
I also watched that movie where Hannibal Lecter fed Ray Liotta sautéed morsels of his own frontal lobe.

IRL though - I think it's kinda jacked up when an animal is fed members of it's own species.

For some reason, Praying mantis's and Black Widows' mating habits don't rub me the wrong way.
Maybe it's only when it happens to animals that are not naturally cannibalistic that I find disconcerting.

Perhaps some Liver, served with Fava Beans and a nice Chianti?

Wishbone

Your Table Is Ready Sir!

SDn.jpg

This_person

I could care less about the homeless, did they have a roof over there head before government intervention??? I think not..
What do the homeless, crazy, and lazy do South of the Rio Grand?
And I ask again, why is it the Taxpayers responsibility to take care of them???

It's not, but Sap will never recognize that.