Texas Judge William Adams Beating Daughter vid

PrepH4U

You can sue anyone for anything, surely you know that. The girl presents the video in court, talks about how traumatized she's been and how the beatings ruined her life, the jury responds pretty much like the general public has responded, and voila.

So the answer is, I do not know if there is a precedent. But there never is a precedent until one is set. Wouldn't you agree?

What other reason is there for her to go public with this seven years after the fact, in a nationwide venue? Why would she even save the video that long?

The statue of limitations has passed for beating a child (5 years) I am not sure if there is one for civil court.
She released the video because the Judge told her he was no longer going to be her financial support as she dropped out of college. He was also going to take back her mercedes. :whistle: She told him she would release the tape and he told her to go ahead.
So I think she released it just for private revenge and really didn't think of all of the aftermath that would follow. Her mom got to see the tape last weekend before she uploaded it.
Regardless of the reasons she released it, I still stand behind my original view that the punishment definitely did not fit the crime. Just remember it was 17 lashes with the belt.

somdfunguy

not impressed
Corpus Christi television station KZTV caught up with the judge while he was getting into his vehicle Wednesday, and he confirmed it was him in the video. But he said it "looks worse than it is" and that he doesn't expect to be disciplined.

"In my mind, I haven't done anything wrong other than discipline my child after she was caught stealing," Adams said. "And I did lose my temper, but I've since apologized."

When told of her father's comments, Hillary Adams said, "it's a shining perfect example of his personality and he believes he can do no wrong. ... He will cover up rather than admit to what he did and try to come clean."

She stressed that she did not post the video as revenge and does not want her father punished. Rather, she did it because she thinks it will force him to seek help, and because he has been harassing her and she thought posting the clip would make that stop.

Read more: Police Won't File Charges Against Texas Judge Caught On Video Beating Daughter | Fox News

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
The statue of limitations has passed for beating a child (5 years) I am not sure if there is one for civil court.
She released the video because the Judge told her he was no longer going to be her financial support as she dropped out of college. He was also going to take back her mercedes. :whistle: She told him she would release the tape and he told her to go ahead.
So I think she released it just for private revenge and really didn't think of all of the aftermath that would follow. Her mom got to see the tape last weekend before she uploaded it.
Regardless of the reasons she released it, I still stand behind my original view that the punishment definitely did not fit the crime. Just remember it was 17 lashes with the belt.

17 lashes with the belt and still relatively uninjured.

Watch the very end of the video as she, after this atrocious beating, calmly gets up, walks across the room and shuts off the web cam.

thatguy

Wirelessly posted

vraiblonde said:
Is there a precedent for children to sue their parents over corporal punishment?

You can sue anyone for anything, surely you know that. The girl presents the video in court, talks about how traumatized she's been and how the beatings ruined her life, the jury responds pretty much like the general public has responded, and voila.

So the answer is, I do not know if there is a precedent. But there never is a precedent until one is set. Wouldn't you agree?

What other reason is there for her to go public with this seven years after the fact, in a nationwide venue? Why would she even save the video that long?

You can TRY to sue anyone for anything, but there are plenty of cases that get thrown out. I remember reading some announcement the forum had to post about somebody trying to sue somebody. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't remember hearing of anything coming from that action.
I looked and didn't see any precedent. But you are correct that there never is until the first successful case.

PrepH4U

17 lashes with the belt and still relatively uninjured.

Watch the very end of the video as she, after this atrocious beating, calmly gets up, walks across the room and shuts off the web cam.

Really? You are right the web cam did not have an automatic zoom for us to be able to see the welts, just because we didn't see them doesn't mean there were none.
Yes at the end of the tape she was relatively calm which freaked me out even more, to me that showed someone that was expected to take it like a "grown woman"! She had to get her shiat together quickly as the mom was telling her she had to sleep on the couch or little sisters room.
I think if she would have carried on like we expected her to she would have rec'd more. :shrug:

newbsomd

If the goal is to raise your child to be a respectful member of society then the objective of disciplining a child is to instill values in that child so that when decisions come up between choosing between right and wrong the choice is based on that child wanting to be a respectful member of society. If the decision is based purely on fearing punishment then you have failed, as the child's decision is not based on him wanting to do the right thing, it is based on his view of the probability of getting caught and punished for his actions. This leads to the mindset that the less chance of getting caught a certain action has the more "acceptable" that action becomes, where as a child that has been truly disciplined, aka educated and taught, doesn't require such a "threat" to be present to understand why the right choice is the right choice.

1. A child's brain is essentially a learning computer until the age of 5. The neural net expansion is staggering and it is a fact beyond all facts that children at this age are god like at associative/mimicry learning. When you strike a child as a response to a negative action then it is programmed into his brain that physical violence = proper response to solving conflict, period. If you think your child's brain just magically stops working whenever you decide to punish your child then you are quite simply a moron. You screw up and say "####" just a handful of times in front of a toddler and every parent or anyone who has been around kids knows that you are most likely going to be spending a few weeks training your kid to not yell out "####" from then on, yet you hit your child to "teach" him and think this is going to instill the association in him that hitting people = the WRONG thing for him to do? Or if you have trouble with this imagine if I told you I'm teaching my child to speak in a polite manor by cussing his ass out every time he doesn't. That is EXACTLY what your retarded ass is doing when you attempt to "discipline" your toddler by doing the exact thing to them that you hope they never do to anyone else. Even worse is that such discipline is such a startling and simplistic act that the association is just that much easily engraved and permanently altering.

2. Animals with brains less advanced than a retarded toddler, which have a million years of genetic instinct to go into beast mode and rip the throats out of other animals while they are still alive, among other incredibly beastly things that animals do, are constantly trained to basically do whatever the hell a human trainer wants, including to NOT do all of the stuff they have crazy instincts to want to do, without ever being beat. Go ahead and try to make the argument that the most advanced learning computer on the planet can't comprehend what every other lesser animal on the planet can, especially when said learning computer (aka a child's brain) does EXACTLY that, times a factor of ten, regarding every other single thing it is taught in comparison to said animals.

To say that you are incapable of molding/training a child... from the beginning of their birth, when they are useless blobs of blubber, without having to use FORCE and VIOLENCE on them is astonishing and ####ing lazy on your part as a parent.

3. If physically striking children works to instill discipline and correct behavior then why isn't it utilized in all other areas of your child's development? If it was a successful tool for promoting development you would be slapping your child every time they made a grammar blunder. If every other aspect of teaching you give to your child requires no physical striking when mistakes are made then have fun explaining why the teaching of right and wrong "benefits" from such a "corrective" measure while other areas of instruction don't.

IN SHORT, if you think what this man did was anywhere NEAR acceptable, you are wrong. no doubt about it.

newbsomd

I thought I was done, I'm not.

What kind of a sick #### tells his daughter that he is going to "beat [her] into submission?"

Seriously. WTF.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

So there is in fact more to the story and the girl isn't some innocent victim, but does indeed have a penchant for dishonest and malicious behavior.

Apparently dad didn't beat her enough. For this little stunt she deserves at least another 17 whacks.

L

letmetellyou

So there is in fact more to the story and the girl isn't some innocent victim, but does indeed have a penchant for dishonest and malicious behavior.

Apparently dad didn't beat her enough. For this little stunt she deserves at least another 17 whacks.

This little stunt being that she showed a violent temper tantrum by her father? I believe in discipline, but this seems to take it to another level. I don't have any problem with a father hitting a child with a belt, but he clearly lost it. I have to believe that it happend before, she knew what was coming.

I don't know if anyone's said this, but I also think the girl is manipulative and half full of crap. Having said that, it's probably because she grew up with this maniac and his completely unstable wife. The girl is protecting mom now with the b.s. story that she was brainwashed.

I think when you have a child like this girl, it's your doing. You kinda get what you create!

newbsomd

Her intent behind releasing this video does not matter. The fact of the matter is that she was being abused, verbally and physically, throughout her childhood. You would be a fool to think that this was an isolated incident.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
There is a subordinance you expect out of your children that does not apply to spouses, so I don't think you can equate the two.

Larry slapped his teen daughter in the mouth once because she was being a complete ass. This is a guy who never even spanked them when they were little, that I'm aware of. But she just kept on and on until he finally had had enough. Now, he's a big guy and anyone seeing a video of it might have been shocked and disapproving, and clucked about more civilized methods. But if you'd been sitting there watching it, you'd have wondered what took him so long and been impressed with his restraint.

Thanks but, as long as we're airing my dirty laundry, you've seen me do the equivalent, in my view, of the belt beat down verbally. I've done it to you. I've done it to her. I have to admit to recognizing myself in Bible Belt dad, the white anger and frustration, the losing it and just going on and on. The sense of failure and desperation just fuels it. It's an ugly, ugly way to feel on top of the losing control. I guess I get some sort of small point for it being verbal and not physical but, maybe not.

At the end of the day, that kid wasn't harmed physically, long term, but, I have this sick feeling that he's a lot like me; Mr. Passive, Everything is Kewl, just talk to the kid and everything will always be just peachy because, golly, I TALKED to them and told them what I expect and why, therefore...and then blow up when frustration takes over.

On the other hand, my kid isn't on TV and suing me with some horrific video. We had a tiff the other day about her laundry being in the way and she said "...but, what if I have to leave before it's done???" and I said...'Think about what you just said and what might be a good solution...even better than you having to use the laundromat?"

It took her all of 5 seconds to see the merits of finishing her laundry BEFORE she had to be somewhere.

it was a beautiful thing...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I have to admit to recognizing myself in Bible Belt dad, the white anger and frustration, the losing it and just going on and on. The sense of failure and desperation just fuels it. It's an ugly, ugly way to feel on top of the losing control. I guess I get some sort of small point for it being verbal and not physical but, maybe not.

Pffft. If they'd listen and do what they're told instead of sneaking around and being an azzhole, they wouldn't get yelled at or smacked upside the head. I mean, Larry, you know how I feel about this: it's very simple cause and effect that the teenage brain should have no problem comprehending. If they can do advanced math and learn a foreign language, it shouldn't be difficult to understand and adhere to "don't lie to me" or "do what you're told". Not to mention "shut your mouth, right now."

It's unpleasant watching someone smack or yell at their kid. It doesn't feel good doing it. It's the not fun part of parenting. But sometimes that's all you're left with because they flat will not cooperate and negotiations are getting you nowhere.

:shrug:

It's interesting watching all the outrage in this thread, jumping to the defense of a girl who is clearly manipulative and underhanded. Gee, if Daddy had only kept the moolah and car payments coming, things would have been just peachy, right? Well, you folks have fun with that and let me know how that works for Junior when he gets out into the real world - if he ever does.

somdfunguy

not impressed
It's interesting watching all the outrage in this thread, jumping to the defense of a girl who is clearly manipulative and underhanded. Gee, if Daddy had only kept the moolah and car payments coming, things would have been just peachy, right? Well, you folks have fun with that and let me know how that works for Junior when he gets out into the real world - if he ever does.

she's a product of who raised her, so using your argument they failed as parents.

thatguy

Pffft. If they'd listen and do what they're told instead of sneaking around and being an azzhole, they wouldn't get yelled at or smacked upside the head. I mean, Larry, you know how I feel about this: it's very simple cause and effect that the teenage brain should have no problem comprehending. If they can do advanced math and learn a foreign language, it shouldn't be difficult to understand and adhere to "don't lie to me" or "do what you're told". Not to mention "shut your mouth, right now."

It's unpleasant watching someone smack or yell at their kid. It doesn't feel good doing it. It's the not fun part of parenting. But sometimes that's all you're left with because they flat will not cooperate and negotiations are getting you nowhere.

:shrug:

cuz this girl seems so well adjusted and 'disciplined' and has such a strong work ethic that she is working AND going to college at the same time, right? :bigwhoop:

I guess the judge should have kept the hush money coming if he wanted her to stay quite. I still dont she how she is going to benefit from this. The judge certainly isn't going to be giving her anythign after this.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
she's a product of who raised her, so using your argument they failed as parents.

Sorry, won't fly. Larry and I have raised four - two of his and two of mine, all in the same household. They are very different from each other, both now and then. You don't just stamp out children like cookies and it's not always the parents' fault when some kid goes off their rocker.

What I will suggest is that if this girl is 23 and daddy is still paying her bills and buying her a Mercedes, that may indeed have something to do with why she's trying to blackmail him now. Rather than being too tough on her, I will submit that perhaps he wasn't tough enough.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
cuz this girl seems so well adjusted and 'disciplined' and has such a strong work ethic that she is working AND going to college at the same time, right?

So you haven't been paying attention to the story and are just making it up as you go along? He cut her off because she dropped out of school. Try and keep up.

thatguy

So you haven't been paying attention to the story and are just making it up as you go along? He cut her off because she dropped out of school. Try and keep up.

I guess i should have used the sarcasm tag instead, because that was my point, she is a lazy entitled biatch if you beleive the fathers story.

thatguy

Sorry, won't fly. Larry and I have raised four - two of his and two of mine, all in the same household. They are very different from each other, both now and then. You don't just stamp out children like cookies and it's not always the parents' fault when some kid goes off their rocker.

What I will suggest is that if this girl is 23 and daddy is still paying her bills and buying her a Mercedes, that may indeed have something to do with why she's trying to blackmail him now. Rather than being too tough on her, I will submit that perhaps he wasn't tough enough.

ever think maybe daddy gave her so much because he feels gulity about beating the crap out of her?
Plenty of abusive parents try to make up for it by buying gifts etc.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
cuz this girl seems so well adjusted and 'disciplined' and has such a strong work ethic that she is working AND going to college at the same time, right? :bigwhoop:

I guess the judge should have kept the hush money coming if he wanted her to stay quite. I still dont she how she is going to benefit from this. The judge certainly isn't going to be giving her anythign after this.

That's kinda what I was thinking..he's running, she has a tape..mercedes and support money to keep it shut up. Maybe he was calling her bluff..maybe the whole damn family is dysfunctional as all get out. :lmao:

All I know is, you cannot treat someone like that, and have them forgive you because you "apologized" it doesn't work that way. I can bet that wasn't the first time he did something like that and I know from personal experience having to walk on eggshells around someone does not exactly endear them to your heart, no matter how long it's been since you have been out of the house:coffee: Do I believe she really wants him to "get help" like she said? NO. She wants revenge because whatever deal they had wasn't working out anymore. And she got it. Because just about anyone can see that it is entirely innapropriate for him to preside over child abuse cases when it has been shown he is completely unable to control his own temper and violent urges.