Thanksgiving Dinner

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Looking like it's just my husband, a friend, and my toddler and stepson. Real quite this year, going to half all my recipes as I can't handle THAT much leftover food.

baked brie with bacon and caramelized apples
sausage stuffing
roasted sweet potatoes with pecans
brussell sprouts with shallots and hazelnuts
mashed potatoes
gravy
rolls
smoked turkey

Still got us a 16lb turkey. Those are leftovers I DO want to deal with. 3/4 of that bird will get chopped up/shredded and packaged up for the freezer for some nice meals throughout the winter. Smoked turkey makes some good enchiladas and white 'chicken' chili :yum:

Think we might spatchcock the bird this year and see how it goes. I don't know what magic settings my husband uses on the Kamado Joe, but whatever it is, it's always amazing.

I love a good GBC - but I enjoy my recipe best. I'll use my MIL's canned green beans, but make my own mushroom soup to drown them in. However, idc how good it is the day of - leftover GBC is horrible. It turns gray and mushy and loses all texture. I'm not doing it this year, bc I definitely don't want those leftovers.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My husband was born and raised in Vermont, ended up here with the Navy.

When we married, the family from the dairy farm he worked on as a teen gave us a steer calf as a wedding gift. We hog tied him, stuffed him in a gunney sacked, threw him in the back of the pickup, and brought him back to MD.

Named him Steve Trucker.

Slaughter time was tough, and it was WEEKS before I'd cook any of him. When my new husband convinced me to try the beef, I surely was glad. That calf was delicious.

But I was always sure to say "Thank you, Steve Trucker", every time I took a piece of him from the freezer.

:lol:

I couldn't eat an animal I knew, let alone had named. It would be like eating Apollo. I can only eat anonymous meat.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Turkey Rockefeller
Smoked Stuffing
Grilled Sweet Potatoes
Baked Cranberry Sauce
Thin Slice Country Green Beans
Stuffed Pumpkin Pie

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
sausage stuffing

One of the traditional family dishes I will NOT be making is sausage stuffing. My grandma used to make it, and everyone would be running to the head afterwards. Turns out she didn't cook the sausage first, sat on the counter warming up before being stuffed, and it did not reach minimum 'safe' temp in the bird. This was in the long long ago times, when under-cooked pork was a real :nono: .

Still can't eat any.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The rest of the family is reporting in with what they are bringing:

purple sweet potato pie
mashed potatoes
traditional bread turkey stuffing
dinner rolls (homemade potato rolls)
Green bean casserole (of course..and with the crispy onions on top)
con queso & chips
sweet potato biscuits
pumpkin pie
peanut butter pie

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
One of the traditional family dishes I will NOT be making is sausage stuffing. My grandma used to make it, and everyone would be running to the head afterwards. Turns out she didn't cook the sausage first, sat on the counter warming up before being stuffed, and it did not reach minimum 'safe' temp in the bird. This was in the long long ago times, when under-cooked pork was a real :nono: .

Still can't eat any.
I'm fond of a good oyster stuffing myself...but the missus won't eat an oyster or anything an oyster has touched...LOL

lucky_bee

RBF expert

Still can't eat any.
My family's traditional thanksgiving stuffing was never that remarkable. I couldn't even tell you what was in it. She always made a tray of the stuffing, but also stuffed the bird with it. She never intended anyone to eat it, just insisted it added extra flavor :sshrug: I'm not convinced. In the past when I've hosted, I've done some homemade versions of the boxed stuff (my husband is from the midwest - that crap is king where he's from) but those are also blah (and salty) to me. I really need a knock-your-socks off recipe. Or maybe I just don't like stuffing? Idk how not, I love bread.

My family's Christmas stuffing is some kind of concoction of Italian sausage, large Italian bread chunks, stewed tomatoes, and eggs (which end up more scrambled once baked). It's amazing, but it's the one recipe my mother refuses to share as she's realized I've turned into a better cook than her :lol:

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I've done some homemade versions of the boxed stuff (my husband is from the midwest - that crap is king where he's from)
My brother is the same. Stove Top or nothing. I get the stuffing mix cubes and doctor up my own version. But I like it bird-stuffed, not in a tray. Have to get creative when doing a half-bird on the grill.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Best dressing ever, IMHO. I also add a can of chopped water chestnuts. They add crunch.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Best dressing ever, IMHO. I also add a can of chopped water chestnuts. They add crunch.

That sounds good. Might have to try it. Thanx.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
That sounds good. Might have to try it. Thanx.
You're welcome. It makes a LOT! So you might want to half it. I can stuff the bird, fill a casserole dish and freeze the rest for another time. Usually about half of a gallon size ziplock.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
You're welcome. It makes a LOT! So you might want to half it. I can stuff the bird, fill a casserole dish and freeze the rest for another time. Usually about half of a gallon size ziplock.
Saw that. Quarter recipe would be enough.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Ok, so, this recipe has been so adjusted that the original hardly remains, but I love my collection of Southern Living Annual cookbooks, so this is what I do. 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, this is a great recipe. Mom often adds dried cranberries and diced Granny Smith apple. Bake until a lovely, crunchy top. Yum Oh Yum.

1121221022~2.jpg

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
My husband was born and raised in Vermont, ended up here with the Navy.
My wife and I graduated from Norwich, the military college in Vermont.
It's in Northfield, which is about 12 miles south of Mount Peculiar, the state capital.

jrt_ms1995

It's "our turn" to host TG this year for the extended family. I don't know all the sides or deserts we're having yet; I'm only responsible for the meat menu:
smoked turkey
thin-sliced country ham (starting that to soaking today)
baked fresh ham
spicy stuffed ham
mild stuffed ham
oysters (grilled, Rockefeller and fried)
When should I be there, cuz?