Thanksgiving Dinner

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Was at the store today... not paying $6 for a small jar. Broke out the food processor and made some. Used lemon instead of vinegar. First attempt was pretty good, taste similar to Hellman's, but there was an 'off' flavor. Used vegetable oil, think I need to use something else next time. Wasn't thickening, had to add a lot more oil than the recipe called for to get it to thicken.

Worst part was trying to get it out of the food processor into the jar.
Try olive oil.

rio

Was at the store today... not paying $6 for a small jar. Broke out the food processor and made some. Used lemon instead of vinegar. First attempt was pretty good, taste similar to Hellman's, but there was an 'off' flavor. Used vegetable oil, think I need to use something else next time. Wasn't thickening, had to add a lot more oil than the recipe called for to get it to thicken.

Worst part was trying to get it out of the food processor into the jar.
Did you add a tbsp or2 of boiling water? Believe it or not, that will actually help it to set better once it's refrigerated. It's also better to add more egg than oil to make it thicker. Too much oil will make it taste off.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Did you add a tbsp or2 of boiling water? Believe it or not, that will actually help it to set better once it's refrigerated. It's also better to add more egg than oil to make it thicker. Too much oil will make it taste off.
Did not. Looked at a bunch of recipes, and it seemed they only added water if they used yolks only. If the whole egg was used, they didn't add water. I used whole egg. Also added dry mustard as that's supposed to stabilize the emulsion. Some recipes called for 2 eggs, some just one.

Like I said, not bad for a first try. I'll just have to play with it.

rio

Did not. Looked at a bunch of recipes, and it seemed they only added water if they used yolks only. If the whole egg was used, they didn't add water. I used whole egg. Also added dry mustard as that's supposed to stabilize the emulsion. Some recipes called for 2 eggs, some just one.

Like I said, not bad for a first try. I'll just have to play with it.
Trust me, even after making it for years, I still have runny batches, tangy batches, whatever. I think a lot depends on the egg itself. They're not all created equal!

I use ground mustard seed also.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
taste similar to Hellman's, but there was an 'off' flavor. Used vegetable oil,
Ok, found the 'off' flavor. It was the oil. I always stick my nose in the container to see if it's ok. Did that with the open container, and it was fine. Had to open a new bottle, figured it was new and didn't need to check it. Turns out it had a smell which is what I tasted in the mayo.

Only found it when I was re-seasoning a cast iron pan.

Reactions: rio