That escalated quickly

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Not sure where the model of the M577 is; packed up in a box somewhere, I think.

Not sure why I was being coy about the acronym in my original post; it was "FTA." It was so well done, it was beautiful. But this was right at the end of the VOLAR era so senior leaders were quite vigilant and really strict about this sort of thing (rightly so, given the times).

OP Alpha? I only know of one (though certainly there were/are more), but does this mean you were with 3-11ACR (Bad Hersfeld)? We (Div Cav) did border augmentation for the 3rd squadron. Good times.

--- End of line (MCP)
that is the one, but 1/11 occupied OP Alpha.. I was C Trp 81 - 83.

Fun Travel and Adventure.. wasn't that the commercial before Army Strong??

My best run in with a 2LT (this was 86 in the 1/30th Inf Bn) was when one walked by our washrack looking for S-1 (he was checking in) and I sent him on an adventure through "S-6" and the motor pool.. to have him show up about 2 months later as our Scout Platoon Leader.

LUCKILY he was a good guy with a great sense of humor.. Corporate Lawyer, attended Baylor on a basketball scholarship, graduated Baylor Law, and wanted to pad his political resume with military service and NOT as a lawyer. Joined the Army as a recruit 11B, with OCS. Corporate Lawyer had to go to Benning (as an E-4), complete 11X OSUT THEN had to wait for an OCS date, then chose infantry as his branch upon graduation from OCS. We never went anywhere without a basketball, and he would (now and then) send us Grid Coords to meet at.. Six Bradley's in the middle of a small German town surrounding their basketball court in the middle of REFORGER or other large field exercises

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
that is the one, but 1/11 occupied OP Alpha.. I was C Trp 81 - 83.

Fun Travel and Adventure.. wasn't that the commercial before Army Strong??

My best run in with a 2LT (this was 86 in the 1/30th Inf Bn) was when one walked by our washrack looking for S-1 (he was checking in) and I sent him on an adventure through "S-6" and the motor pool.. to have him show up about 2 months later as our Scout Platoon Leader.

LUCKILY he was a good guy with a great sense of humor.. Corporate Lawyer, attended Baylor on a basketball scholarship, graduated Baylor Law, and wanted to pad his political resume with military service and NOT as a lawyer. Joined the Army as a recruit 11B, with OCS. Corporate Lawyer had to go to Benning (as an E-4), complete 11X OSUT THEN had to wait for an OCS date, then chose infantry as his branch upon graduation from OCS. We never went anywhere without a basketball, and he would (now and then) send us Grid Coords to meet at.. Six Bradley's in the middle of a small German town surrounding their basketball court in the middle of REFORGER or other large field exercises
Pretty much the same time frame for me.

If you were 1/11 then you were at Downs Barracks? I was there only once to beg the maintenance battalion for parts for my M88 during a REFORGER). Spent more time at McPheeters Barracks in BH (never did anything that I can recall with 2-11). The place where I remember OP Alpha also had a stand-alone APC parked at the end of the cut autobahn (near some RR tracks) and was designated OP Forward. Near Herleshausen, IIRC. Maybe each squadron had their own OPs Alpha, etc.?

Man, do I miss those fun times on the IGB with the BGS, East German patrols, wondering where all the ADM storage sites were (if they even existed!), etc. Was only in the BH area a few times; most of my border time was near the southern boundary of the 11ACR AO which would have been your area? (We were south of the Tann Pocket and east of Fulda.) Beautiful area; glad it didn't get all destroyed by what both sides had planned for it! Would love to go back to see it now; haven't been back since right after the fence came down and it was amazing to see how fast the wire and towers came down.

"Scouts out!"

--- End of line (MCP)

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Pretty much the same time frame for me.

If you were 1/11 then you were at Downs Barracks? I was there only once to beg the maintenance battalion for parts for my M88 during a REFORGER). Spent more time at McPheeters Barracks in BH (never did anything that I can recall with 2-11). The place where I remember OP Alpha also had a stand-alone APC parked at the end of the cut autobahn (near some RR tracks) and was designated OP Forward. Near Herleshausen, IIRC. Maybe each squadron had their own OPs Alpha, etc.?

Man, do I miss those fun times on the IGB with the BGS, East German patrols, wondering where all the ADM storage sites were (if they even existed!), etc. Was only in the BH area a few times; most of my border time was near the southern boundary of the 11ACR AO which would have been your area? (We were south of the Tann Pocket and east of Fulda.) Beautiful area; glad it didn't get all destroyed by what both sides had planned for it! Would love to go back to see it now; haven't been back since right after the fence came down and it was amazing to see how fast the wire and towers came down.

"Scouts out!"

--- End of line (MCP)
Second tour I was with 1/30th out of Schweinfurt, we covered East German and Czech border out of Coburg. When we were on the border we were at a BGS Kaserne and did our Border traces usually accompanied by them. While at their Kaserne for Border duty we were also tasked with guarding a forward ammo site. Both were awesome, yet sometimes boring, experiences.

OP Alpha (outside of RADSDORF) we had a short Wooden Tower that extended over the fence and into East Germany, they built us a new MUCH taller 'modern' tower, but as soon as they built it they determined it was unsafe. Monument on the fence next to the tower was for a West German that "captured" a mine off of the fence, when his notoriety started to wane, he went back to get another one (possibly a newer one) and the mine got him. He died on the fence.

LOF of cool memories that most have never, and will never see.

We had two automated towns in the COBURG section, where one or two people actually lived in the village, and drove vehicles from one end to the other to make it look inhabited.. If you sat there for 10 minutes you could hear the patterns of the dogs barking, roosters crowing, and the lights (at night) going off and on in all the empty houses.

Barabbas

Yooper

I laughed in spite of myself. Didn't want to laugh, but I couldn't help it:

Could have posted to a Vindman thread, but this seems the better, more gallant, choice.

--- End of line (MCP)

Yooper

The image files are taking too long to load (too large?) and I'm too lazy to resize. So just go here and enjoy:

Though all are funny, for me, the last one is the best.

--- End of line (MCP)

Last edited: