The Basics of Color For breeders

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
:p well, if both have a base of black you'll actually probably have a black baby that will gray out.

I know...smart ass. ;)

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
TCF42 said:
It depends on if the mare is heterozygous or homozygous for gray.. same with the stud too. If both parents are heterozygous, there will be a 75% chance that your foal will be gray. If atleast on parent is homozygous, then there is a 100% chance your foal will be gray.

Mare (click on names in pedigree for colors) http://www.pasoregistry.com/db/Tree.asp?ID=93745

Sire
http://www.pasoregistry.com/db/Tree.asp?ID=113942

Paso club has a bad rep for colors..this mare was reg as a chestnut I think as a 10 yr old last year and when I sent a transfer in I had to change to gray..her sire is listed as buckskin but I dont know..

TCF42

yeeeeeee!
Well that was what I meant.. shoulda added that in there. (In terms of graying out, not necessarily born gray.. although that is a possibility aswell)
And if both parents do infact have a black base, there is also a chance for a red based foal (25% chance). Only if the parents are both heterozygous for black though. Of course, on top of any modifiers that get thrown into the mix. :razz:
Do you know their original colors before they grayed out, Paso?

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
HEhe, the mare is "smooth fire" and the sire is "the victor of donoso". Do you have foal names picked out yet?

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
I love it when breeders of black horses with no known red get a chestnut. These people obviously didn't realize that the red gene, though recessive is still present if the horse isn't homozygous black. There are a few, rare chestnut percherons. You'll even see the occasional roan or bay. At Congress last year I think there was one pair of bays and one chestnut.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
baby from last year was out of a liver mare and Vence..I got liver graying..

I only have gray on studs papers as color (paso club should put on before colors too) his sire is chestnut and mother a bay..I know the father did not gray not sure on the mother..

Mare just listed as a gray sire listed as buckskin and dam as a bay..fathers father is a gray I know so father might have grayed...mothers parents listed as bays and only one behind there is gray..

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Phyxius said:
HEhe, the mare is "smooth fire" and the sire is "the victor of donoso". Do you have foal names picked out yet?

Foal from last year El Capuchino de Vencedor..

TCF42

yeeeeeee!
I love it when breeders of black horses with no known red get a chestnut. These people obviously didn't realize that the red gene, though recessive is still present if the horse isn't homozygous black. There are a few, rare chestnut percherons. You'll even see the occasional roan or bay. At Congress last year I think there was one pair of bays and one chestnut
Yeah, there are actually a few chestnut Friesians too. I think there may be something like 4 in the world?

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Yup, and I know someone who bred a chestnut mare to Nico (friesian x du. warmblood - black & white) and got a chestnut and white. Duh!

I also know a black & white paint bred to a black perch stallion = chestnut & white.

Genetics are crazy things. :)

TCF42

yeeeeeee!
Well, you'll get a chestnut, bay, or black! Sorry I can't be of much help there lol, it's hard to determine exactly when you don't know the exact genotypes.
Ah, and shading could vary. BTW, I like that liver chestnut, cute. :)

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
TCF42 said:
Well, you'll get a chestnut, bay, or black! Sorry I can't be of much help there lol, it's hard to determine exactly when you don't know the exact genotypes.
Ah, and shading could vary. BTW, I like that liver chestnut, cute. :)
How do you get a "pink pony" ? Good night all :lmao:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Fine, :lmao: want to hear something stupid? guess what color this filly is reg as???

Attachments

• Mar292007127.jpg
    Mar292007127.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 71720072572.jpg
    71720072572.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 71
  • 71720072571.jpg
    71720072571.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 67