The Basics of Color For breeders

TCF42

yeeeeeee!
They don't have Champagne though. Which, is supposedly a TRUE dominate dilute, that even overrides gray 100% of the time. SUPPOSEDLY.
Oh yeah -- Champagne is one of four known dilution genes (the others being creme, dun, and the silver gene) and is a simple dominant dilution gene. This means that atleast one champagne parent is needed to make a champagne foal. Even in homozygous form though it will not override gray. Gray is the almighty powerful!

TCF42

yeeeeeee!
Opinions are simply opinions until proven fact!
If that were the case just because it is dominant, dilute, and color modifying then colors like buckskins, palominos, duns, tobianos (to name a few) wouldn't let gray override them either. Creme and dun are dominant dilutes for sure, so they are in the same boat as champagne.
If champagne were invincible to grey, then that horse would not be the shade of grey it is now. The horse's coat will eventually grey out white.. (whether or not it gets there before it dies, who knows.. the greying process can be varying speeds on specific breeds -- like Percherons it tends to take a longer time whereas Andalusians will usually grey out to white pretty quickly) ..however the freckles of the muzzle and on the privates will stay there. And since gray is also a dominant gene, that may be why there is so much coat freckling and the horse appears to still have color... just looks like champagne and gray had a little fight on who gets to shade the horse! (But of course in the end grey wins/will win.. :wink: )
I'm not too familiar with any of their[scientists] progress with the gene, and just know the basics I suppose, but the champagne not letting grey override theory has just been disproven by those photos. So, I think I may be able to safely say... that the people with those opinions of champagne not letting grey take over are WRONG! :razz:

Last edited:

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
Last weekend I just sold a mare that was a dunalino. She looked like a palomino, but she has the primitive dun markings with a dorsal stripe and leg barring. She was very cool looking.

Also, I have a filly that is a buckskin, but is registered grey because she is shedding out grey. When she is of breeding age she should be interesting because she carries the creme and the grey genes. I love messing with color!

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
appendixqh said:
Last weekend I just sold a mare that was a dunalino. She looked like a palomino, but she has the primitive dun markings with a dorsal stripe and leg barring. She was very cool looking.

Also, I have a filly that is a buckskin, but is registered grey because she is shedding out grey. When she is of breeding age she should be interesting because she carries the creme and the grey genes. I love messing with color!

Please post a pic of the dunalino..I have this grulla which should be interesting.

Attachments

• 71720072573.jpg
    71720072573.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 71720072578.jpg
    71720072578.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 66
  • Feb172007952.jpg
    Feb172007952.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Feb172007949.jpg
    Feb172007949.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 71720072591.jpg
    71720072591.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 74

TCF42

yeeeeeee!
Nice horse Paso. We used to have a grulla POA mare with a spotted blanket.
Who's that bay horse at the end?

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Actually neither one of those horses has "greyed" out. Champange horses are born dark and lighten with age. Both of those horses are still "cream" colored with fleabitten spots. The flea bitten spots are presumed to be there because of the gray. The horses were even darker as foals than normal champange horses.

But, what grey horse looks like this?
http://www.ichregistry.com/images/Grace_face_2.jpg

Also, the equinecolor.com site refers people to the ichregistry.com site for information.

TCF42

yeeeeeee!
No, I wouldn't say they have greyed out completely but they are certainly in the process. Fleabitten spots are more or less a stage in the greying process.
That picture looks like that horse is very much so grey. I can see the fleabitten spots, but I don't see how that horse could still be considered a creme color.
Now with this link (http://www.ichregistry.com/gray.htm) I could see that top horse serving what you're saying.. but, the point is that the grey is STILL taking (or trying to take) over and still has an effect on the coat.. I'd like to see what that horse would look like a few years down the road, if it got any lighter or not.

Also, the equinecolor.com site refers people to the ichregistry.com site for information.
So? lol.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
TCF42 said:
Nice horse Paso. We used to have a grulla POA mare with a spotted blanket.
Who's that bay horse at the end?

Opps..thats the new paso gelding I got a couple months ago...he is a light bay I call him a peanut butter bay but he has a dorsal stripe too..here is more

Attachments

• 71520070959.jpg
    71520070959.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 7820072403closser.jpg
    7820072403closser.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 712007lake7.jpg
    712007lake7.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 78
  • jose.jpg
    jose.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 72920070682DP.jpg
    72920070682DP.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 72

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Pasofever said:
Opps..thats the new paso gelding I got a couple months ago...he is a light bay I call him a peanut butter bay but he has a dorsal stripe too..here is more
I sent a link to the U of Davis where you can send in tail hairs and get DNA color typing so you'll know exactly what you have an what he'll produce, it's cheap information Paso.

I sent in hairs on my red mare, and my silver dapple buckskin mare. The SD buckskin is extremely rare, and i'm happy to have her, but i want to confirm her color by DNA. she's registered chocolate with mixed m/t. I want to change her registered color to accurately reflect it, but mostly i want to breed for buckskins and palominos and don't want cremellos or pearlinos, so i need to find out exactly what she carries. i don't think she carries red which is fine and why i bought a sorrel (beautiful copper colored) mare already in foal to a buckskin.

depending on the sorrel's base colors, black, agouti and creme factors, i should be able to guess what she'll foal next year. but we'll see. I do so want a palomino, but with my luck i'll get the silver dapple buckskin, who looks like a dirty palomino or chocolate with mixed m/t...not like a true palomino. :frown:

I LOVE the color thing too, but you can get some FUGLY-muddy colors if you're not careful :lol:

TCF42

yeeeeeee!
That's just countershading (the dorsal), and unless he has atleast one dun parent then he definitely is not dun, so I wouldn't bother to test (unless you really, really want to know lol). My Thoroughbred filly has a nice dorsal stripe like that too... don't think I have a a picture though.

I sent a link to the U of Davis where you can send in tail hairs and get DNA color typing so you'll know exactly what you have an what he'll produce, it's cheap information Paso.
I didn't know geldings could reproduce! :razz: (j/k)

but mostly i want to breed for buckskins and palominos and don't want cremellos or pearlinos,
Then get a cremello stud that is homozygous for agouti or get a perlino stud that is heterozygous for black. It'll probably be more efficient that way, but I'm sure there is a good market for quality cremellos and perlinos if you do end up getting them. :smile: