The complicated Murdaugh story unraveled

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I don't know if anyone else here is watching him on the stand, but I swear, I feel like he is going to stand up and admit he did it at times.

Lunch break right now.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I asked Fox News via their Twitter profile, to stop shoving this in front of me.
They've lost a viewer, go online and read news from a variety of sources.

Alex Murdaugh is on the stand.

IMO, he is guilty and should be found guilty. I cannot help but wonder how skilled the officers who interviewed him were/are? I could see some breaking moments during the interview where they should have pressed harder. He felt pressure in the courtroom and newly admitted he was at the kennel that night, putting him at the scene of the crime prior to the murders. He screwed everyone around him that he claimed to care about and wants us to believe he couldn't have killed his wife and son. Umm, of course you could! :confused:

I recently watched a Dr. Phil episode about him. The entire Murdaugh family is used to ignoring the laws and getting away with absolutely everything.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I recently watched a Dr. Phil episode about him. The entire Murdaugh family is used to ignoring the laws and getting away with absolutely everything.
I'll put it on my list to watch. ;)

I do wonder if Alex thought getting rid of his son would lessen the burden of the lawsuits over his son's boating incident. Perhaps he was angry that the incident would trigger some digging into his finances? I also think Maggie was sick and fricken tired of his bs. I wonder if Alex talked non-stop about how much net worth this was going to cost him? I worked with addicts and don't understand how a person can have a $50k a week opioid addiction and have no physical signs? The staff reported a change in Alex's personality after the boating accident but Alex claims to have had an addiction for a decade, or longer. I wonder how well they traced that missing money?

Early this morning it was just a hair over 50 percent who thought he was guilty, before lunch, they posted a new poll and that guilty selection jumped to the mid-70's.

Lunch break is now over and the jury is coming back to the box. Alex is still on the stand.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Good grief. And to think I've paid Amazon $12.99 to read stories like that that were just fiction.

I've spent a few hours watching this trial.

1) The son who died is responsible for the death of a female friend a few years back. In a nutshell, he bought a ton of booz underage, took some friends out on the powerboat, hit a bridge pier and ejected 2 people, the girl was killed. He was eventually arrested but the trial was yet to happen (the benefits of being a local powerhouse law family). Daddy even tried to get the people who were on the boat to lie. There were/are also civil suits. Some theories include that killing the kid would make it easier to defend against the civil suits (sympathy votes) and now he would not have to pay to defend him in criminal court. There also may have been some resentment against the kid for having brought this on the family.

2) There are several deaths within the vicinity of the Murdaugh's property that locals suspect they were responsible for. A few years back, a local gay boy was found dead on the road. Local police say it was a hit and run by a car. State Police say no freaking way. (There is a lot of local corruption being revealed in the trial -- good ole South Caroliney boyz). Some locals say that the older Murdaugh boy is gay and was this guy's lover. Any number of theories exist as to why they killed him. Maybe to prevent his gayness from becoming public. After all, it is the deep south and freakazoid Lindsey Graham is still in the closet.

3) I watch a few lawyers who analyze the trial in real time. Many feel that while they think the guy is guilty, the State has not actually proved it. They suspect he will be found guilty. In any case, he is going to jail for the financial crimes.

I can just visualize the upcoming Grisham novel. The trial ends, Murdaugh is guilty and hauled off and we think the movie is over. But, alas, emboldened by the trial, witnesses come forward and implicate the older son in the death of the young gay man and Act III begins.

One thing I am most curious about is where/when the evil started with this family. I understand that the Murdaugh dynasty began with his grandfather. Was granddad a corrupt bastard too? How about the father? One on hand, sometimes the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. On the other, often times when families become wealthy and powerful, by the 3rd generation, they seem to become corrupt.

Last edited:

Dakota

~~~~~~~
It seems that when the 3rd generation comes along, the entitlement is strong.

As to Grisham being there, there have been some sources to say that it isn't him. Would be interesting if it is.

David, if you turned away, now might be a good time to click back on and listen.

This is coming up now;

Alex Murdaugh, the lawyer, was charged with insurance fraud, conspiracy to commit insurance fraud and filing a false police report, all felonies, in connection with the suicide scheme, which his lawyers said was meant to ensure that his other son could collect on a $10 million life insurance policy.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
1. he lied about being at the kennel before the murders and later admitted in court he was there when the snapchat video was recovered from his dead son's phone showing it was taken before the murders.

2. he lied about being shot - what is coming up now.

3. he lied to co-workers about the distribution of money within the law firm.

He won't admit to killing his wife and son because "it is real bad." Remember how he kept saying that in the interviews? "it is real bad." I walked down to the kennels and it was "real bad." His phone calls all said "it was real bad."

He will admit to stealing but not murder because that would be "real bad." That would make me a "real bad" person.

With all the evidence produced, there was a window between 8:42 to 9:05 ish (about 20 minutes) that those murders happened. The timeline is very narrow coupled with all his lies (he lied to and about everyone) and that is why I think he did it.

Last edited:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
It seems that when the 3rd generation comes along, the entitlement is strong.

As to Grisham being there, there have been some sources to say that it isn't him. Would be interesting if it is.

David, if you turned away, now might be a good time to click back on and listen.

This is coming up now;

Alex Murdaugh, the lawyer, was charged with insurance fraud, conspiracy to commit insurance fraud and filing a false police report, all felonies, in connection with the suicide scheme, which his lawyers said was meant to ensure that his other son could collect on a $10 million life insurance policy.
According to the Netflix docuseries, Alex is 4th generation and Buster and Paul are 5th. The family goes way back.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Anyway, if you ever think your family is dysfunctional, just take a look at the Murdaughs and you'll feel better.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
According to the Netflix docuseries, Alex is 4th generation and Buster and Paul are 5th. The family goes way back.
I watched this yesterday and my gosh, even AM's dad was pushy and entitled showing up at the hospital trying to manipulate the outcome of witness testimony after the boating accident and in several ways, time and time again, a huge enabler to the entitled behavior of his grandsons.

I did hear something new that was important in my mind. Paul, even after the accident, was still drinking, bar hopping and partying. He felt no sense of moral obligation to hang low or change his behavior.

Vrai,

It blows my mind how dysfunctional this family is... even the jail house phone calls continue to show this.

Personally, I think the motive in the murders is crystal clear and it bugs me that many talking media heads deny he had motive. Motive doesn't need to be proven but it is helpful, IMO.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I watched this yesterday and my gosh, even AM's dad was pushy and entitled showing up at the hospital trying to manipulate the outcome of witness testimony after the boating accident and in several ways, time and time again, a huge enabler to the entitled behavior of his grandsons.

I did hear something new that was important in my mind. Paul, even after the accident, was still drinking, bar hopping and partying. He felt no sense of moral obligation to hang low or change his behavior.

Vrai,

It blows my mind how dysfunctional this family is... even the jail house phone calls continue to show this.

Personally, I think the motive in the murders is crystal clear and it bugs me that many talking media heads deny he had motive. Motive doesn't need to be proven but it is helpful, IMO.

Absolutely they tried to manipulate the scene at the hospital and go as far as blaming one of the other boys. It is a very tangled web. Paul not owning what he did and to blatantly party reminds me of that other rich kid years ago that ended up on the run with his mother. His lawyer coined a term that escapes me at the moment.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Absolutely they tried to manipulate the scene at the hospital and go as far as blaming one of the other boys. It is a very tangled web. Paul not owning what he did and to blatantly party reminds me of that other rich kid years ago that ended up on the run with his mother. His lawyer coined a term that escapes me at the moment.
Affluenza

SamSpade

Maybe I haven't followed enough of this - part of me WANTS to ignore it in very much the way I ignore the royals and the Kardashians.
I just don't care.

But - two things come to mind - they don't have a murder weapon, and as far as I can tell, he doesn't have a motive. There's just not much physical evidence to convict him. If guilty is "beyond a REASONABLE doubt", I'd have to vote no. Just because someone is a consummate liar, it doesn't make them a murderer. A con man and an *******, but I'd need more to convince me.

On the other hand - I don't see how anyone could have been there, and left. It's like the OJ trial - no one else COULD have done it, but at least in OJ's case, he had motive.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Maybe I haven't followed enough of this - part of me WANTS to ignore it in very much the way I ignore the royals and the Kardashians.
I just don't care.

But - two things come to mind - they don't have a murder weapon, and as far as I can tell, he doesn't have a motive. There's just not much physical evidence to convict him. If guilty is "beyond a REASONABLE doubt", I'd have to vote no. Just because someone is a consummate liar, it doesn't make them a murderer. A con man and an *******, but I'd need more to convince me.

On the other hand - I don't see how anyone could have been there, and left. It's like the OJ trial - no one else COULD have done it, but at least in OJ's case, he had motive.
Its not just his wife and son. There have been two other shady deaths tied to their family. Not saying he did those.

SamSpade

Its not just his wife and son. There have been two other shady deaths tied to their family. Not saying he did those.
And much as I detested the Clintons, many of the shady deaths around them wouldn't be enough to convict THEM without better proof.

I've seen the courts injuring people with pitiful "proof".