The few and far between Solomons Eateries

Agee

FYI-Dry Dock Fans

The chef there of the last couple of years is now at Nooks and Monks.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Cletus_Vandam said:
A friend wanted to go to Stoney's one night, so we tried it. On a scale of 1 to 10. I give it about a 5 or 6 for food quality and a 2 for the prices. Considering the prices, I would expect to be sitting in more than a plastic patio chair...
:yeahthat: Both Stoney's and Lighthouse Inn are overpriced for the quality of food you get.

I haven't seen Boomerang's mentioned here.

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
Maybe I've never had good italian food. Maybe you could explain to me what I should be looking for.

Well, you eat what you like: Opinions will always vary. I was just sorely disappointed by the food at this place. Had the whole family in for a visit over the summer, and took them to Di Giovanni's (I had never been, but had heard that it was a classy place with excellent food). Between the 8 of us, we had a fair share of different dishes from the menu, and the only one with no complaints was my 12 year old neice who was quite impressed with the fried mozarella. I personally had the calamari (which was abyssmally overfried), and the Linguine and Clams for supper. The pasta was overcooked and watery (How can an Italian restaurant screw up PASTA of all things?!), the clams were straight from the can, and the sauce was bland and overseasoned.

That said, their menu is not terribly eclectic, either---I've never been to an upscale Italian restaurant that did not serve osabucco, or some variation of gnocchi.

What killed me, though, was that I paid a veritable fortune for bad food the likes of which I might as easily have found at any cheap carryout place.

Then again, maybe I'm just picky. To each his own.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Cletus_Vandam said:
A little place we used to always like was Bowens. It's small and familiy run.
I love Bowen's but it's mostly a true local crowd - not many folks like that. I had a date recently take me to Lighthouse Inn, and I was thinking, this is good but I could have gotten the same thing with more to it for a better price at Bowen's. :lol:
Ya'll have forgotten Boomerang's, Chine Harbour and Jethro's - still SI, just not on the tourist strip.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Club'nBabySeals said:
That said, their menu is not terribly eclectic, either---I've never been to a upperscale Italian restaurant that did not serve osabucco, or some variation of gnocchi.
Never heard of those dishes, although they sound like they'd be worth trying. I refuse to have pasta in an Italian restaurant unless the sauce is known to be outstanding. My preferences for Italian are calzones and strombolis. I've had good Italian food in some Pennsylvania towns where the restaurants are owned by descendants of Italian immigrants. I had some pizza with sliced Italian sausage that was incredible.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Club'nBabySeals said:
Well, you eat what you like: Opinions will always vary. I was just sorely disappointed by the food at this place. Had the whole family in for a visit over the summer, and took them to Di Giovanni's (I had never been, but had heard that it was a classy place with excellent food). Between the 8 of us, we had a fair share of different dishes from the menu, and the only one with no complaints was my 12 year old neice who was quite impressed with the fried mozarella. I personally had the calamari (which was abyssmally overfried), and the Linguine and Clams for supper. The pasta was overcooked and watery (How can an Italian restaurant screw up PASTA of all things?!), the clams were straight from the can, and the sauce was bland and overseasoned.

That said, their menu is not terribly eclectic, either---I've never been to an upscale Italian restaurant that did not serve osabucco, or some variation of gnocchi.

What killed me, though, was that I paid a veritable fortune for bad food the likes of which I might as easily have found at any cheap carryout place.

Then again, maybe I'm just picky. To each his own.
Actually, I have to agree with you. Everything on their menu I could have made at home, and it would have tasted better too. I was hoping for "authentic" Italian dining, and it was just a bastardized version of it, and not worth the expense.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
migtig said:
I love Bowen's but it's mostly a true local crowd - not many folks like that. I had a date recently take me to Lighthouse Inn, and I was thinking, this is good but I could have gotten the same thing with more to it for a better price at Bowen's. :lol:
Ya'll have forgotten Boomerang's, Chine Harbour and Jethro's - still SI, just not on the tourist strip.
LOVE China Harbor AND Boomerangs.. GOOD eats.. nice people work at both.. and within a mile of the house!!

Cletus_Vandam

Ken King said:
Is this what you meant or is it that they don't try to pass off frozen as fresh?

Ken:

You are correct in catching my error in typing. I did not place the "n't" on the word "are". Easy thing to do, but it certainly changes the entire context of what I was trying to say.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Cletus_Vandam said:
Ken:

You are correct in catching my error in typing. I did not place the "n't" on the word "are". Easy thing to do, but it certainly changes the entire context of what I was trying to say.
Wasn't sure, thought so, just looking for clarification. Thanks.

S

scupper trout

migtig said:

In my humble opinion,

Bowen's is definately a local crowd. They have all you can eat taco's on Thursday for $5.00, Saturday is all you can shrimp for $9.95 and Sunday is all you can eat SoMD fried chicken (good deal /meal!) for $9.95. The place has a 'homey kind of feel' and the bartenders (Lisa, Richard & Dave) pour a decent drink. Not the Ritz by any means but just laid back.

Catamaran's is overpriced for blah tasting food but they do have a 7 day a week happy hour from 4-8 with $1.00 drafts and $2.50 rail drinks. Thursdays is $5.00 cover and $5.00 open bar but not sure of the hours.

The Solomons Pier is definately gone for good, I know one of the mangers who told me they locked up after brunch last Sunday and said 'been nice workin with ya'll. Looks like Stoney's is planning it for a nightclub of some sorts. 'rumor mill' :gossip:

Stoneys in my opinion is hit or miss. I've had both good and bad dining experiences there so I guess it depends on what you order and portions vs. price.

Boomerangs has great ribs. Oh, and Keno too. :cheers:

CD cafe I really don't know much about so I guess I'll take you other folks opinions on that place.

Lighthouse is so-so like MigTig said. Hit or miss.

Tiki Bar - Plastic cups and sticky restroom floors...LUV IT!

Drydock -No clue..I guess I need to check that one out.

Jethro's - not bad BBQ, have ice cream too. Kinda small dining room though.

DiGiovanni's - Nice atmosphere, I've only had drinks there on the back deck. But based on what a few have said I may stay clear.

Captians Table - Decent breakfast (the only place in Solomons for it? :confused:) and the bloody's aren't bad.

Okay I'll shut up now...not a bad thread!

Agee

scupper trout said:
Looks like Stoney's is planning it for a nightclub of some sorts. 'rumor mill' :gossip:
Stoneys' purchased the lease on Solomons Pier.
As far as thier intentions :shrug:

Tomcat

Anytime
Tonio said:
I've had good Italian food in some Pennsylvania towns where the restaurants are owned by descendants of Italian immigrants.
The Strip District in Pittsburgh??

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Tomcat said:
The Strip District in Pittsburgh??
I haven't had the pleasure, although I've read about it. When my parents lived in Pittsburgh in the '60s, the Strip District was in sorry shape.

flowerchild

Hairy Harry
Club'nBabySeals said:
:dead:

That's the worst "Italian" food I've ever had in my life---and it's priced like it's supposed to be gourmet.

The sad fact is that we really do NOT have a nice, REAL Italian restaurant anywhere in Southern Maryland. There's a thought for all you entrepreneurs...

have you tried Rick's in Wildewood. It's not fancy but the food is good. Better than anything I've had around here!

S

scupper trout

New rumor: Calypso Bay (Deale / Tracy's Landing) is looking into leasing the old Harbor Sounds building from the marina within a few weeks.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Club'nBabySeals said:
:dead:

The sad fact is that we really do NOT have a nice, REAL Italian restaurant anywhere in Southern Maryland. There's a thought for all you entrepreneurs...
Gustavos in La Plata is good, even took some REAL Italians there and they liked it. :shrug: