Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Do you find this offensive?

bc2665350031110.gif

Link

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Not me, no. Was this a veiled (sorry, bad pun) slam at Islam? Only Hart knows for sure.

Here is Berke Breathed on the subject, earlier today: (http://discuss.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/zforum/03/r_style_cartoon112103.htm)

Berke Breathed:
The good news about Hart’s Islam-is-poo strip is that at least you know a real human has shown up for work, with his strip. The paper is littered with cartoonists too, well, deceased to actually participate in their own strip. It’s a pity because there’s a rather agitated bunch of very alive cartoonists that are waiting for their space to show us what a little passionate cartooning can be.

The other side of the le Affaire Hart is his disowning of his gag. This is the part where he insults his audience, which he might want to avoid. I’m all for bigotry in the public square for people to respond accordingly… but they need to own it. Either Johnny is fibbing or he needs to get back in touch with his inner id. I’m surprised that Garry Trudeau urged everyone to leave him alone. We’re in the business of not being left alone. It’s a fascinating bit of insight into the artist behind the feature and by God, let’s get into it. It’s the very bit of life that the comic page is needing as it gets consumed by The Jim Davis’s of the world and their writing staffs.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Can someone please tell me how they got an Islamic connotation out of an outhouse? :confused:

While they're b*tching, though, they might take a look at the current storyline of Boondocks. Oh, wait...I forgot...it's perfectly okay to make fun of Condoleeza Rice and various other black conservatives. :duh:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by vraiblonde
Can someone please tell me how they got an Islamic connotation out of an outhouse? :confused:

I think it had to do with the crescent moons (an Islamic symbol--check out the flag of Turkey), the SLAM and Hart's fundamentalist Christian beliefs.

Personally, I think that's reaching way too far. Hart has done plenty of overtly religious strips. If he wanted to criticize Islam in B.C., he would make it obvious, not obtuse.

My problem with B.C. is that most of the time, Hart is simply phoning in the humor. B.C. had some real humor energy in the '60s and '70s. Now, he sometimes recycles even his own old strips. No, I don't blame that on his finding Christ. I believe most comic strips just grow stale. I understand completely why Larson and Watterson and Breathed retired when they did. Reading Peanuts in the '80s was like watching Muhammed Ali getting beat up in his last fights. (Although a maturing Rerun helped put some life back in Peanuts in the '90s.)

Toxick

Splat
Originally posted by Tonio
Here is Berke Breathed on the subject, earlier today:

Berke Breathed is the friggin MAN!

Is anyone else really looking forward to Sunday as much as me?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Sharon
Do you find this offensive?
Hell no, it is more of a slam on West Virginians and Tennesseans. Now if it had been your typical turban wearing individual leading a camel up to a tent, then maybe it would be a slam, but I can't see how it is linked in any way to Islam.