The Life of an Addict

Inkd

I worked with a guy who was a pilot for the Army's 160th.

He got hooked on Oxy after screwing up his back in a helicopter crash. He kicked it but it ruined his career.

He said getting off that stuff was the worst thing he ever experienced.

inkah

There are also genetic variables involved, and your brain actually changes when you become addicted to xyz

Genetic variables? Like what?

Maybe that is why they call it mind altering substances??

Most users are looking for the alteration. Blech. Using is a choice. ALWAYS.

MMDad

Lem Putt
This is why I also get tired of the old "addiction is a disease" saw. No, it's not. Diabetes is a disease. Cancer is a disease. Addiction is a choice. Calling it a disease removes all responsibility from the addict, which is 9/10ths of their problem in the first place.

Most diabetes is caused by poor choices. How can you say diabetes, a self-caused disease, is a disease but addiction is not?

Same for many cancers. Most skin cancers are caused by the choices people make. Is malignant melanoma a disease? If a smoker gets lung cancer or a chewer gets lip cancer is it a disease?

How about heart disease? Almost all of it is caused by poor choices. Is it only a disease if you eat right, but if you eat too many burgers it is no longer a disease?

You may not have any sympathy for those who become addicted, but that does not mean that the addiction is not a disease.

MarieB

Genetic variables? Like what?

Maybe that is why they call it mind altering substances??

Most users are looking for the alteration. Blech. Using is a choice. ALWAYS.

Sorry, but if you can't acknowledge that there are genetic factors in play (as scientists and docs have researched and confirmed) then I can't take you seriously. Genetics variables also can make a person less prone to become addicted to a drug, compulsive shopping, or spouting their mouths off with ignorant statements

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I can't believe some of you are trying to compare smoking cigarettes to being hooked on heroin. :lol:

Or, even better, trying to compare being hooked on heroin to diabetes and heart disease. :lmao:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
spouting their mouths off with ignorant statements

Now THAT is an addiction.

I don't know if the addiction variables are genetic, meaning you come by it honestly via your parents, but it is true that certain drugs chemically alter your brain. Many times permanently, not just when you're actively high. Which is why it's not a good idea to get started with that crap and why I'm against legalizing it.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I can't believe some of you are trying to compare smoking cigarettes to being hooked on heroin. :lol:

Or, even better, trying to compare being hooked on heroin to diabetes and heart disease. :lmao:

I do believe that extenuating circumstances led to my high blood pressure. Not smoking.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member

I still want to know, what is considered an alcoholic?
:burp:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I do believe that extenuating circumstances led to my high blood pressure. Not smoking.

You've had some stress that probably exacerbated it. I smoke more than anyone I know and my blood pressure is fine, as is pretty much everything else. I have tendonitis in my left wrist, but doc says that's not because of smoking. :lol:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Why? Heroin has a worse social stigma, but addiction is addiction.

He didn't make that comparison, he said that the definition of disease can also cover addiction, if you look up the definition you'll see he's correct.
Looks like you just dion't want to be grouped with the heroin addicts.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
You've had some stress that probably exacerbated it. I smoke more than anyone I know and my blood pressure is fine, as is pretty much everything else. I have tendonitis in my left wrist, but doc says that's not because of smoking. :lol:

Smoking does not effect your blood pressure.
It causes heart disease.

Both are getting under control.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member

You answered 1 items out of 20 Yes.

Your score is 5%. According to the Office of Health Care Programs, Johns Hopkins University Hospital, developers of this screening quiz, if you answered 3 of these questions with a Yes it is a definite sign that your drinking patterns are harmful and possibly considered alcohol dependent or alcoholic. You may want to seek an evaluation by a healthcare professional.
I drink alone, but can I consider the dogs with me in the dog house?

acommondisaster

My BP was always fine prior to my double bypass. So was my cholesterol. And there's no heart disease in my family.

Cardiologist told me I had heart disease in my early 40's because I smoked.

Cigarettes are one of the hardest addictions to kick; nothing to be ashamed of if you "enjoy" smoking and "don't want" to quit. That's the addict talking.

MMDad

Lem Putt

Yep, you'd have to be a totally brain dead moron to do that. Kind of like this idiot:

This is why I also get tired of the old "addiction is a disease" saw. No, it's not. Diabetes is a disease. Cancer is a disease. Addiction is a choice. Calling it a disease removes all responsibility from the addict, which is 9/10ths of their problem in the first place.