The O's ....

GusChiggins

Old Prospector
cattitude said:
Angelos is getting what he deserves.

You know Nupe, we have a team now, we don't need to fool around with the O's. The O's as we knew them, are gone.

Go Nats!
Orioles: 58-72 (.446)
Gnats: 58-76 (.433)

You can have your Nationals.

Otter

Nothing to see here
GusChiggins said:
Orioles: 58-72 (.446)
Gnats: 58-76 (.433)

You can have your Nationals.

:lmao: Nats will be a prime time team in the next 3 or 4 yrs; as long as you have Angelos, the O's will continue to flounder.

GusChiggins

Old Prospector
otter said:
:lmao: Nats will be a prime time team in the next 3 or 4 yrs; as long as you have Angelos, the O's will continue to flounder.
is that because the o's have better young pitching? better prospects in the farm system? i fail to see your reasoning.

Otter

Nothing to see here
GusChiggins said:
is that because the o's have better young pitching? better prospects in the farm system? i fail to see your reasoning.

So, you're quite happy with Angelos? I fail to see what you're so happy about with him.

GusChiggins

Old Prospector
otter said:
So, you're quite happy with Angelos? I fail to see what you're so happy about with him.
never said i was happy. but last time i checked, angelos doesnt pitch or hit. the orioles have better players, and better prospects than the nationals IMO. that equals a better future.

Otter

Nothing to see here
GusChiggins said:
never said i was happy. but last time i checked, angelos doesnt pitch or hit. the orioles have better players, and better prospects than the nationals IMO. that equals a better future.

But they still have Angelos to gum up the works:lmao:.... Nats have had a great two yrs of drafts, 3 yrs from now, the Nats will be the better team by far. Only 'great' prospect on the O's is Bedard, who will win a Cy Young in the next few years IMO. Over the past 2 months, he's been the best pitcher in baseball.

GusChiggins

Old Prospector
otter said:
But they still have Angelos to gum up the works:lmao:.... Nats have had a great two yrs of drafts, 3 yrs from now, the Nats will be the better team by far. Only 'great' prospect on the O's is Bedard, who will win a Cy Young in the next few years IMO. Over the past 2 months, he's been the best pitcher in baseball.
wow you are using the DRAFT as a measure of future greatness? you realize how much of a crapshoot that is right? oh and if you're keeping track that way, the o's just signed the best hitter in the draft last year (matt wieters).

as for prospects, coming in to this season, baseball america had 3 orioles prospects in the top 100... only 1 nationals.
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/features/263446.html

Otter

Nothing to see here
GusChiggins said:
wow you are using the DRAFT as a measure of future greatness? you realize how much of a crapshoot that is right? oh and if you're keeping track that way, the o's just signed the best hitter in the draft last year (matt wieters).

as for prospects, coming in to this season, baseball america had 3 orioles prospects in the top 100... only 1 nationals.
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/features/263446.html

So the O's have more future hall of famers to trade away at Angelos's whim? You do realize how much of a crapshoot banking on Angelos is, don't you?? lol

GusChiggins

Old Prospector
otter said:
So the O's have more future hall of famers to trade away at Angelos's whim? You do realize how much of a crapshoot banking on Angelos is, don't you?? lol
arguing with you is pointless, since you clearly know nothing about the orioles, or baseball.

Otter

Nothing to see here
GusChiggins said:
arguing with you is pointless, since you clearly know nothing about the orioles, or baseball.

You clearly show your ignorance by resorting to the above bs. So, you're saying you're happier than a pig in slop with the way Angelos has run the O's?? It is pointless to argue or discuss anything with someone that thinks their opinion is the only one that counts. You're taking your ball and going home now?? :lmao:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
fedex said:
I honestly dont waste my time going to Camden Yards, unless I have family and friends in from out of state.

Used to go but it was more about the "event" than the game with most of the people. After Angelos started trading away all the good young players and got rid of some good coaches, I lost interest. When Cal left and the others (like Sulhoff) were gone, I was done with the O's.

I was originally a Senators fan...grew up watching and attending the games at RFK. But I liked baseball so we started going to the O's games. I'm happy to have baseball back in DC and will continue to follow the Nats. :yay:

fedex

Relax, it's fedex
cattitude said:
Used to go but it was more about the "event" than the game with most of the people. After Angelos started trading away all the good young players and got rid of some good coaches, I lost interest. When Cal left and the others (like Sulhoff) were gone, I was done with the O's.

I was originally a Senators fan...grew up watching and attending the games at RFK. But I liked baseball so we started going to the O's games. I'm happy to have baseball back in DC and will continue to follow the Nats. :yay:

I have a big problem with Angelos as well. He really needs to sell the team, and let the new owners get there foot in the right direction. This franchise use to be a proud franchise and its gone down hill !

GusChiggins

Old Prospector
i am not the biggest angelos fan, but you are all completely misplacing or oversimplifying the blame in the orioles' failures of the last decade.

just a few clarifications:
-angelos built the teams of 96 and 97, when the orioles were in the market for every big name free agent. had jeffrey maier not reached over the wall and the ump not have been blind, and albert belle's hip not fallen apart, we might not be having this conversation now.
-name all these "good young players" the orioles have traded away? with one catch- they had to actually be good while on the orioles. the problem with the orioles has never been acquiring young talent, it's been developing that talent, and THAT has been the fault of the farm system being in shambles, which is now fixed. the farm system is in excellent shape now, as i posted above.
-angelos created the MASN deal, which fleeced the nationals, and gave me the ability to watch every orioles game (for better or worse). this is a huge move for the orioles, which brought lots of money to mr. angelos (the reason he wont sell the team for another couple years)

in between 97 and 07, i will give you that mistakes have been made. mussina never should have been let go. john miller should have been kept in the booth. etc. i think the difference is you cannot fully blame him- there were others that were at fault, and most of them are gone now. yes he set the tone at the top and meddled more than he should have, but he is not singularly to blame. it isn't like he hasn't tried to succeed. he's tried too hard and not delegated enough to smarter men than himself.

but NOW, finally, i believe the franchise is headed in the right direction. this offseason will tell if i'm right- if we sign a bunch more aged veterans as stopgaps, i'll be calling for his and macphails and whoever's heads. but if they continue to let the young guys develop... i'll be happy.

this is not to say the nationals aren't heading in a good direction either, but currently, with the orioles stadium, revenue, fanbase, attendance, team, and farm system, i'd take the orioles.

Nupe2

GusChiggins said:
wow... who red karma'd me for this? bunch of pansies on this board.

Tried to balance out your red for you but whoever hit you really gave you a wallop! :lol:

Don't sweat the small stuff.

The O's are in a shambles for any number of reasons. I like the Nats these days because they just seem to hustle more and really enjoy playing. The O's don't seem like they're having fun out there. I lived and died with them when Brother Lo, Gary Roenicke, et. al. were playing in the days of Orioles Magic. It seemed like they were never out of games and that a late inning rally was the norm. That just seems like a long time ago in a time that won't return for the foreseeable future. The Nats seem to play in a manner similar to those guys and I think they will get an added boost next year with the new stadium and with owners who seem willing to hire and listen to real baseball people.

I grew up a Senators fan and became an O's fan after they left. Hopefully, we'll be able to build up a real rivalry between two good teams sometime in the future. For now? I think we just grin and bear it...:shrug: