The police chargers are...

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
itsbob said:
I know this an old post but I have to add..

If I'm driving 95 down 235 and someone changes lanes in front of me.. and lets say I'm driving a Dodge Charger.. what would my stopping distance be??

Now if my Charger has "POLICE" stickers on the side? What would my stopping distance be??

WHAT if my lights were flashing, and my siren (that nobody can hear with their windows rolled up) is blaring.. what would my stopping distance be then??

Makes no difference how well trained you are, doing 90 - 95 on 235 in traffic is stupid and reckless in my car, and is just as stupid and reckless in a police car.

What would you have done, say if three geeky teens in a Dodge Neon pulled up next to you in an old Supercharged Town Car on Great Mills Road while you have your dogs in tow, and they say they want to race you for your dogs? :popcorn:

High EGT

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto
Ponytail said:
They are slick looking. but they are still built by Dodge. They had to put hemi's in them cuz people were complaining about how much time it took them to drive back to the dealer for repairs.

:lol:

Ouch :buttkick:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
virgovictoria said:
What would you have done, say if three geeky teens in a Dodge Neon pulled up next to you in an old Supercharged Town Car on Great Mills Road while you have your dogs in tow, and they say they want to race you for your dogs? :popcorn:
First I'd tell them to come back with a real car, and not one with "Matchbox" stamped on the bottom.. and second, there's no point in racing if you KNOW you already have the faster vehicle. That would be like me asking someone in a Mustang GT to race, with me sitting in my truck.. just doesn't make much sense

Then I would look down the street and see if I can spot a cop.. if I did I'd sit next to them at the light, rev the engine.. get it wound up.. watch them launch towards the cop while I pull out like a blue haired grandma.

beamher

somdebay said:
The police chargers are... 12-30-2006 08:02 PM dimwit child

Not a child, thank you very much, I just don't believe in anybody being above the law. If they can fly down the road, so can I. Sign it next time please.

:lmao: i do the same thing, especially if it will get me up rt. 4 quicker; just wish the idiots that tend to freeze up when anywhere in the vicinity of police to move the he!! out of the way (it especially bothers me when people slam on their brakes when a cruiser has someone pulled over, they're not leaving to come after you :smack: )

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
beamher said:
:(it especially bothers me when people slam on their brakes when a cruiser has someone pulled over, they're not leaving to come after you :smack: )

The term is RUBBERNECKING!!! :whistle:

beamher

chernmax said:
The term is RUBBERNECKING!!! :whistle:

i use that term when people are being nosy, trying to see what happened in, let's say an accident; it's just efffn' stupid to hit your brakes when you see the police--i don't see them pulling you over for driving a mile over the speed limit and by the time you hit your brakes, it may be too late; let's call this PARANOIA of the police

chernmax

beamher said:
i use that term when people are being nosy, trying to see what happened in, let's say an accident; it's just efffn' stupid to hit your brakes when you see the police--i don't see them pulling you over for driving a mile over the speed limit and by the time you hit your brakes, it may be too late; let's call this PARANOIA of the police

I'm more paranoid of tickets, points, and paying my hard earned money to the county above my taxes, just because an officer has someone else lit up doesn't mean he can't communicate to his buddy up the road that you're coming...

I also tend to slow down for the police just in case it may be an emergency that he may need assistance with, but that's just me, as a minimum, I will move a lane over when passing for safety if traffic allows...

beamher

chernmax said:
I'm more paranoid of tickets, points, and paying my hard earned money to the county above my taxes, just because an officer has someone else lit up doesn't mean he can't communicate to his buddy up the road that you're coming...

I also tend to slow down for the police just in case it may be an emergency that he may need assistance with, but that's just me, as a minimum, I will move a lane over when passing for safety if traffic allows...

i agree with you, however, i've seen to many people hitting their brakes--how about letting up off the gas pedal; and i haven't seen(not saying that they don't or rarely) where officers double team

chernmax

beamher said:
i agree with you, however, i've seen to many people hitting their brakes--how about letting up off the gas pedal; and i haven't seen(not saying that they don't or rarely) where officers double team

Yes I agree, I'm a take your foot off the gas guy myself, and Calvert County just over the Solomon's bridge is a notorious WWF police team area. I heard if they don't catch you, they stop over your house and shoot your dog too... :jameo:

sgt_turmoil

Chargers

somdebay said:
pretty slick looking cars. It must be nice to drive a dodge charger the way it should be...fast. I was going 90 behind this guy and he was still pulling away from me. I stopped pushing my luck at 90, and turned off route 4.

according to what i have heard the chargers are capable of doing 165 miles per hour, they were designed that way to chase street racers that have 300 plus horse power lightweight imports. I know a guy with a 350 small block mounted to a porche 914 transaxle inside of a pontiac fiero. its gonna take a charger to catch him. the guy has twisted his driveshaft before running a 1/4 mile against a viper.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
sgt_turmoil said:
according to what i have heard the chargers are capable of doing 165 miles per hour, they were designed that way to chase street racers that have 300 plus horse power lightweight imports. I know a guy with a 350 small block mounted to a porche 914 transaxle inside of a pontiac fiero. its gonna take a charger to catch him. the guy has twisted his driveshaft before running a 1/4 mile against a viper.
Who's going to catch the kid in the Charger??

And of all the cars made, Dodge is NOT one of the makes I'd be willing to go that fast in..

Moonchild

The police units are supposed to have a 150 limiter, but in testing by the Michigan State Police, it did exceed that a little. They are otherwise no faster than a normal Hemi Charger, except for the top end. The suspension design being one thing borrowed for the last generation E-class, it is safe at speed. The SRT version is quite capable of running safely in excess of 165 for as long as the gas lasts, reportedly about 35 minutes at that speed:)

M

Mousebaby

itsbob said:
Who's going to catch the kid in the Charger??

And of all the cars made, Dodge is NOT one of the makes I'd be willing to go that fast in..

They tested the Chrysler 300 which has the same frame as the Charger and it got 5 star crash rating! One of the many reasons why I chose this car as a family car. It withstands a frontal impact quite well!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Moonchild said:
The police units are supposed to have a 150 limiter, but in testing by the Michigan State Police, it did exceed that a little. They are otherwise no faster than a normal Hemi Charger, except for the top end. The suspension design being one thing borrowed for the last generation E-class, it is safe at speed. The SRT version is quite capable of running safely in excess of 165 for as long as the gas lasts, reportedly about 35 minutes at that speed:)
GREAT.. now we have to worry about local cops going 150 up and down 235 instead of the already confirmed dangerous 95... can't wait to hear about THAT accident.. just hope I'm (or anyone I know) not involved

Moonchild

Not the locals on 235, not yet, anyway. Calvert Sheriffs I know for sure have them, and I think maybe the State police in Calvert, but not St Marys or our State police yet. Barring a cross bridge pursuit, of course. Of course, the Cronw Vics they run now are capable of over 120, maybe even up to 140, so its not a huge difference :coffee:

johnycarcinogen

sgt_turmoil said:

you can outrun one cop, but you can't outrun their radio.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
chernmax said:
I also think Charger police vehicles look pretty cool, however even at 90 with a HEMI, a Charger would not pull away from my ride... :jameo:

And yes, some cops do drive like sh!t when in non-emergency situations... :coffee:

Calvert County has them, saw one this morning and it was already wrecked, had duct tape holding in the headlight, front was all cracked up. What a shame.