The REAL difference between men and women...

You (boy or girl) have some nice little corner shelves to hang; you use...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Mikeinsmd said:
That's ok, mowing grass is her job and we all know how THAT turned out.... :whistle:

LY Nic MI :flowers:
No, the grass is not my job, but when he's gone for 2+ weeks, I have no choice but to "take care of it". :ohwell:

T

tikipirate

#12 x 3 1/2 star drive wood screws through the drywall and into the studs. A 15 second job, after spending an hour setting up the GPS-stabilized laser level.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Larry Gude said:
My brothers, can I get an 'amen'?
Why the eff would you use toggle bolts and not get some real hardware and make sure that the brackets are mounted into wall studs?

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Ken King said:
Why the eff would you use toggle bolts and not get some real hardware and make sure that the brackets are mounted into wall studs?
And THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is why Ken King is THE MAN. :love:

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire
Ken King said:

Depends on what it is. If you're hanging curtain rods, you don't really need the studs. Hell, at least in my house, they're never where you want them anyway and I have this thing about things not being symmetrical, level, evenly spaced, and consistent throughout.

Now, if you're hanging, say, a Swiss Halberd; then, of course you need to mount it to the studs.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Chain729 said:
Depends on what it is. If you're hanging curtain rods, you don't really need the studs. Hell, at least in my house, they're never where you want them anyway and I have this thing about things not being symmetrical, level, evenly spaced, and consistent throughout.

Now, if you're hanging, say, a Swiss Halberd; then, of course you need to mount it to the studs.
No sh!t Sherlock, but we are talking about shelves and not curtains. :bigwhoop:

lillymay

However, when I put my bamboo shades up I banged nails in the wall and put the triangle hooks over them. :diva:

Not sure which one I should be voiting as. :confused:[/QUOTE]

I'm getting ready to install bamboo shades also. Doesn't look too difficult but were the triangle hooks the ones that came with the shades? I'm no diva and can use a hammer but it's that darn measuring tape that gets me! :lmao:

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire
Ken King said:
No sh!t Sherlock, but we are talking about shelves and not curtains. :bigwhoop:

Same applies- if I follow the studs, they aren't symmetrical in the room, which irks me more than symmetrical useless crap cluttering my perfectly clean wall. And if they're decorative, they aren't holding anything heavy so why do they need to be screwed to the studs anyway?

If you really want to get technical...

I don't know too many "corner shelves" that span 18" across either wall, and with 18" OC studs, there's a good chance the shelf doesn't even have a stud close enough to be tacked to.

Last edited:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Nickel said:
No, the grass is not my job, but when he's gone for 2+ weeks, I have no choice but to "take care of it". :ohwell:
I enjoy cutting the grass, but only after 6 at night when it's cooler. Why I just cut it two nights ago while day was at his softball game. :dance:

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
migtig said:
And THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is why Ken King is THE MAN. :love:
Good job, Mig. Keep it up and you might just get him to come over and hang up all that stuff in the boxes you have leaning up against the wall. :wink:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Dymphna said:
Good job, Mig. Keep it up and you might just get him to come over and hang up all that stuff in the boxes you have leaning up against the wall. :wink:
I :love: You! Where have you been? BTW, stop busting me out like that. :nono:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Because they...

Ken King said:

...are these little cutesy things that don't spread 16".

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Chasey_Lane said:
I enjoy cutting the grass, but only after 6 at night when it's cooler. Why I just cut it two nights ago while day was at his softball game. :dance:
:huggy: I'd rather stay inside and sip lemonade and make a nice dinner. :lmao:

Ken King

PREMO Member
Larry Gude said:
...are these little cutesy things that don't spread 16".
But it's a corner shelf, right and they are going to be in the corner, thus the walls butting up to one another each should have a stud right at that corner making an excellent location for secure mounting versus running a toggle bolt into a hollow wall. Not seeing what you are dealing with it sounds really light weight and as such you should be able to secure it well in-close at the corner.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Would you like...

Ken King said:
But it's a corner shelf, right and they are going to be in the corner, thus the walls butting up to one another each should have a stud right at that corner making an excellent location for secure mounting versus running a toggle bolt into a hollow wall. Not seeing what you are dealing with it sounds really light weight and as such you should be able to secure it well in-close at the corner.

...a picture?

nightowl

migtig said:
Where's option C? Leave it in the box leaning up against the wall.

That's the option my hubby uses. We have a blind that's been sitting there for 8 yrs now hehehehe.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Larry Gude said:
...a picture?
Yeah, that way I know what you are working with. I just don't trust anything going into a hollow wall as a secure mount.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
They're corner shelves...

Ken King said:
Yeah, that way I know what you are working with. I just don't trust anything going into a hollow wall as a secure mount.

...maybe 10" deep or so. I added a bracket to the corner that goes against the wall. It catches a stud, drywall screw. The other two sides, they are not long enough to make it to the next stud; toggle bolts.