The Real Reasons Why Companies Don’t Want You To Work Remotely

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Middle Management Is Running Scared
The job of middle and senior managers is to crack the whip and ensure everyone is earning their pay. Many supervisors enjoy the power they lord over you. It makes them feel big and important. There are endless meetings that allow the boss to drone on about nonsense and you must suffer through their insufferable jargon-filled, pompous preening. They’ll ask for ideas, only to offer them later to the top executives, claiming that it was their own. You’ll be assigned laborious, inane tasks that will take months to accomplish, but are actually busy-work projects designed to make their managers take notice of how hard everyone is grinding.

With a distributed workforce, they lose their stranglehold over you. They can’t micromanage like they used to. It's already been proven that people have been amazingly productive while at home—without the supervisors breathing down their necks. Pretty soon, the senior-level executives will wonder what the middle managers are actually doing and contemplate if they are really necessary or a waste of money.

In their hearts, they know that they may not really be needed. The company could easily carve out a large swath of these busybodies and save a fortune. That’s why they’re panicking. They’ll have to find a new job, and that’s not a rosy prospect. It's easier to push back on the remote trend and fight to keep the pre-virus status quo.

OccamsRazor

It's already been proven that people have been amazingly productive while at home

I don't know where the author of this article works but, unless he is talking about going to Lowes, Target, making home improvements, or landscaping their property, where I work there has been a significant DECLINE in productivity.

OccamsRazor

Sounds like you need to quit slackin and get crackin.
Ha! If only that were true. Been onsite the entire time. The only time productivity has slowed down for me is when I have to rely on those that are working from home to provide assistance. You would be surprised how many people that are "working from home" get sent emails and get phone calls only to have them replied to at 3 or 4PM with no results.

OccamsRazor

Yeah, it was in the news that the fast food places are hurting for employees.
Ouch! That hurt!

Still no word back about those underpaid employees from Google huh? How dare they rail against companies that underpay their staff when they are such low-wage slave drivers huh?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Wow Sapidus that was a fast switch ...... did you get tired of being called ball sniffer

OccamsRazor

Wow Sapidus that was a fast switch ...... did you get tired of being called ball sniffer
Do you honestly believe that there is only one person on here that has different opinions than that of you or others on here? It seems that any time someone posts on here with anything that varies from the thoughts or opinions of you or vraiblonde than they MUST be this one other person.
For someone who seems to read and repost a lot of news, you seem to be very uninformed about the rest of the world.

HemiHauler

Do you honestly believe that there is only one person on here that has different opinions than that of you or others on here? It seems that any time someone posts on here with anything that varies from the thoughts or opinions of you or vraiblonde than they MUST be this one other person.
For someone who seems to read and repost a lot of news, you seem to be very uninformed about the rest of the world.

There is a terribly narrow range of what’s considered “acceptable” views here from the coven. As Chomsky said:

“The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum....”

OccamsRazor

There is a terribly narrow range of what’s considered “acceptable” views here from the coven.

Other things to note seem to be that when confronted with or asked to support their OPINION they like to run away or just claim that you are some other non-conforming poster.
Speaking of which, all of these people that I am claimed to be do not seem to be active here. At least I haven't seen posts from Sapidus, Hissy, Bacon, etc. Is that because they gave up or because they were banned from this particular forum due to difference of opinion?

PeoplesElbow

Ha! If only that were true. Been onsite the entire time. The only time productivity has slowed down for me is when I have to rely on those that are working from home to provide assistance. You would be surprised how many people that are "working from home" get sent emails and get phone calls only to have them replied to at 3 or 4PM with no results.
Same here, we rely on people from outside our group and they will bitch moan and whine when they have to come to work. One person even told me he was in the middle of installing a new kitchen floor while "teleworking".

Personally I got more work done without people bugging me, wanting affirmation that they are doing their job right or just plain bullshitting. I still managed to make a nice lunch, do my laundry and surf the internet at leisure. Sometimes being at work makes it hard to get the job done.

OccamsRazor

Same here, we rely on people from outside our group and they will bitch moan and whine when they have to come to work. One person even told me he was in the middle of installing a new kitchen floor while "teleworking".

Personally I got more work done without people bugging me, wanting affirmation that they are doing their job right or just plain bullshitting. I still managed to make a nice lunch, do my laundry and surf the internet at leisure. Sometimes being at work makes it hard to get the job done.
I have seen this as well. I have seen people come into work only to say they are leaving because they are going to look for a job that allows them to stay home. Funny thing is that these are the same people that would never respond to emails or calls during the work day when something is needed from them.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There is a terribly narrow range of what’s considered “acceptable” views here from the coven. As Chomsky said:

“The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum....”

Who is limiting your opinion or expression of it? Because people disagree with you? And it's okay for you to snark and bully, but if someone gives it back to you you curl up fetal and cry for your mama?

Considering you champion Twitter and FB outright banning people whose opinions they don't like, I find your whining remarkably laughable.

OccamsRazor

And it's okay for you to snark and bully, but if someone gives it back to you you curl up fetal and cry for your mama?
But perfectly OK to snark and bully even when the only thing asked was to back up an opinion? Might want to invest in smaller rocks while living in that glass house. Are your opinions above reproach and not questionable in any manner?