The restoration has begun

SeaRide

..channel ..Yes, that's the word I meant to say before. (not really stringer)

I wonder if you will need some additional aluminum framework, if so, get some off the old aluminum jon boat. Just a suggestion.

As for the "floor", my Dad made one out of teak using brass screws and put it in the old 1950s aluminum boat (not even bolted to the boat at all). It sure looks so pretty. We could lift the teak floor section between the benches to collect the crabs that have escaped from the bushel. Easy to take it out and hose off whatever was on it (fish blood, scales, etc).

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Hat's off to ya, Huntr! I hope it comes out exactly as you want it to. Looks like it's be a real beauty when you're done. :yay:

Railroad said:
Hat's off to ya, Huntr! I hope it comes out exactly as you want it to. Looks like it's be a real beauty when you're done. :yay:
Thanks.:yay: I will post more pictures once you can actually see progress.

I am STILL working on this boat. Slowly but surely. All the holes are fixed. Not gonna leak anymore, that's for sure. Have all the wood for the new structure and flooring sitting in the boat now. Need to design out exactly what I want. Found out it's not a '57, it's a 1953. That's the first year they were made. This is one of the very first fiberglass boats ever made. Found out how I am gonna title it. Since the previous owner of record (3 owners ago) has dropped off the face of the earth, I have a guy in PA that is going to sell it to me with a bill of sale (ran the numbers on it before I ever took possession and it came back clean, it's NOT stolen) so I can register it as what it is. The info MD has on it is not correct. They don't have the manufacutrer or anything right. The only other way to register it would be to go thru the rigamaroll of an abandonded boat, but then the info'd still be incorrect, or as a homebuilt (which wouldn't be all that wrong since it was sold as a kit back in 1953), but as a 2007, not a 1953. Since I know what it is, I want it registered as that, not as what it's not.

gumby

I AM GUMBY DAMMIT
Looks great. Good luck with the resto. Have you thought about gelcoat?? Or Awlgrip??

Glad I never said WHICH August I said I'd finish

I finally started the restoration/rebuilding/modification of my 15' 1957 Herter's Quebec runabout. Hopefully I will get it done and registered by about the end of August. I'll post pictures when I get on the right computer.

I am STILL working on this boat. Slowly but surely. All the holes are fixed. Not gonna leak anymore, that's for sure. Have all the wood for the new structure and flooring sitting in the boat now. Need to design out exactly what I want. Found out it's not a '57, it's a 1953. That's the first year they were made. This is one of the very first fiberglass boats ever made. Found out how I am gonna title it. Since the previous owner of record (3 owners ago) has dropped off the face of the earth, I have a guy in PA that is going to sell it to me with a bill of sale (ran the numbers on it before I ever took possession and it came back clean, it's NOT stolen) so I can register it as what it is. The info MD has on it is not correct. They don't have the manufacutrer or anything right. The only other way to register it would be to go thru the rigamaroll of an abandonded boat, but then the info'd still be incorrect, or as a homebuilt (which wouldn't be all that wrong since it was sold as a kit back in 1953), but as a 2007, not a 1953. Since I know what it is, I want it registered as that, not as what it's not.

Worked on the boat today for the first time in 2 years. Structure is all repaired. At this point, all I have left to do is get the motor out of the barn, mount it and go get it wet. Plan is to mount and test the motor tomorrow. Splash is dependent on results of test run in the trashcan. If all goes well, I'll be in the Pax tomorrow afternoon or Monday night.

Come fall I plan to pull the motor back off, pull the boat off the trailer and onto blocks, then repaint the hull exterior dark green and the interior tan. Once the final paint is on, I will mount the splash rail back on.

Boat has been titled for about a year. It's nice to have it registered again as a 1953 Herter's Quebec for the first time in no telling how many decades.

Pulled the motor out of the barn. Hung it on the boat. Hooked up the earmuffs. 3rd or 4th pull of the starter rope and VROOMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!! Not bad after sitting for 2 years.

Took the boat down to Golden Beach to put it in. Yep, it floats. Ran like a champ.

Have a few small items to attend to. Have a SMALL leak. Not sure where it's coming in, but pretty sure it's from one of 4 bolts I just installed. Need to pull them, re-seal around them and re-install. One of the hubs got hot. Gonna try greasing it. May need new bearings. Need to replace at least 1 light on the trailer. Winch busted it's gear last time I took it out. Have had a replacement sitting in the barn for 2 years. Guess it's time to install it.

While we were out, a PWC broke, so we went out and towed it in.