The Road

Michael Delaney

Porsche 917K
Great Movie!

Extremely depressing though.
Bad time of the year for this movie to be released. I left the theatre feeing far from cheerful.

Michael Delaney

Porsche 917K
I see it is out on video and on pay per view now.

Great Movie. It really gives a person an appreciation for the good life we live.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Is this from the book by the guy who did No Country For Old Men? I downloaded a sample for my Kindle and, you're right, it was pretty depressing. :lol:

glhs837

Power with Control
Watched about 1/2 hour of it. Great, but too depressing for me. I'll take my apocolylpse with a little hope:buddies:

Michael Delaney

Porsche 917K
Lol!
Yeah, it was very depressing, but seemed very realistic.
Showed the best and the worst of what humans are capable of. Also gave me an appreciation for how great we have it now.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
I'll take my apocolylpse with a little hope
That's why we have The Obama - although all the hope was exhausted after his first couple days in office. Plenty of apocalypse left to go around, however!

Pushrod

Patriot
I'm reading the book now (by Cormac McCarthy). As usual, it is much better then the movie, but still dark and depressing.

DotTheEyes

Movie Fan
I thought there was a great deal of hope in this movie. The love the father felt for his son, for example, and the values and idealism ("carry the fire") he taught him, despite the end-of-the-world circumstances.

I loved The Road. A faithful, well-crafted adaptation of one of my favorite novels. Viggo Mortensen was just amazing in this, wasn't he?

Pushrod

Patriot
So is this scary? I love Viggo Mortenson but I hate scary movies is why I havent watched this yet.

Not scary in a 'Holloween' or 'psycho' type of way, but kind of haunting in its scenery and situations. It really is about a fathers unconditional love for his son, and he puts everything on the line to see his son survive.

lovinmaryland

Not scary in a 'Holloween' or 'psycho' type of way, but kind of haunting in its scenery and situations. It really is about a fathers unconditional love for his son, and he puts everything on the line to see his son survive.

Well there was mention of cannibalism, that kinda sounds like it might be scary lol!

Michael Delaney

Porsche 917K
The Road isn't scary in the sense of a horror film but a few scenes will put you on the edge of your seat.
It is a very good movie with great acting, however much of the film offers little hope and is very depressing.
I would call The Road a very realistic "end of the world" type of movie.