The stupid "Black in America" thing.....

C

CalvertNewbie

I, as an older white person, will admit I am somewhat leary of the younger black race. My first bad experience was as a teenager hoeing weeds in an open field when I was confronted by a knife pulled on me by another teenager that I had previously played little league ball with. Second experience was while in the Navy being hit in the head with an umbrella because the guy (a Marine) and his friends wanted the cheeseburger I had in the bag. Do I have a reason to be leary? And don't misunderstand me because I have had no problems since then, many good experiences actually, but the past just doesn't go away. To me the color of your skin doesn't mean a thing, treat me as an equal and I will certainly do the same to you.

I can understand how you feel. It's smart to be "leary" of anyone you don't know, regardless of race, who looks questionable. If I see a group of thug looking punks, I'm not going near them, doesn't matter what color their skin is.

When I was only 3 yrs old I was home with my Mom, who was pregnant with my little brother. Dad was at work. Someone knocked on the front door, stating that his car broke down and he asked to use our phone. Before my Mom could even respond, 2 thugs pushed in the door and forced their way into our house. I remember it like it was yesterday, believe it or not.

One of the punks pointed a gun at my Mom's belly and told her if she gave him a hard time, he'd shoot the baby. They told Mom and I to get in separate bedrooms. I remember just hiding behind my bedroom door, crying for my Mom. Luckily, they didn't hurt either one of us. They just stole everything my Dad worked so hard for and ran out of the house.

Yes, the thugs happened to be black. My Dad was driving cabs at the time and knew a lot of people in the hood because the cab company was based out of the train station, in the middle of the hood. He asked around and found out who the thugs were that had threated his family. They got a beating like never before. Then they went to jail. We moved. Even after this and some other incidents involving members of the black race, my parents never prevented my brother and I from having friends of any other race. Kids don't know racism unless they're taught it. My parents made every effort to teach us that we should choose our friends based on attitude, not the color of their skin. I plan to teach my future kids the same values.

C

CalvertNewbie

I would say in Tomahawk and BCP's examples it is more about the socio-economic impression they are giving off more than race. We live in a judgemental society...and i'm sure that everyone feels the differences in the way they are looked at and treated when they go somewhere in work attire or church clothes and when they go somewhere to get something in the middle of a house project, or leaving the gym.

Does it make it right..no, but i think it is more of a economic status thing and people are quick to throw the race/gender/ethnic card at it. In a perfect world we'd all be judged on our behavior..which alot of people need work on that one as well...

I completely agree with you. I feel that I get treated differently based on my physical appearance at the time. Sometimes I'm dressed in business attire and sometimes I'm on my way to the gym, dressed in sweats, little makeup and my hair in a ponytail. And forget about when hubby and I were redoing our master bath - we both looked like bums, going to Lowes. :lmao:

Sad, but true. People will always judge others based on their appearance, to a certain extent. I'm guilty of it, too. I'll avoid people who look like they're thugs. If someone is dressed professionally, regardless of race, I'll often make eye contact and say hello.

KeepItR3al

Live, Laugh, Love
One: I have been black, in America long before CNN ( Clinton News Network ) decided to take an interest in it, and make a national story out of it. I don't need to watch TV to expierience what I have lived everyday for 35 years. I think it's all because of this Obama Bull$hi.., and not because anyone really gives a damn. Much like the people on this thread, and on this post.

When I first started reading the forums here on SOMD, I argued with a lot of you and realized that no matter what I typed, I just wouldn't win. So now, I pretty much have adopted the same attitudes that I have been shown throughout the years, and sit back, do my thing, and to hell with the rest.

If you don't care, why should I?

I started out with, " I walk through the mall with baggy jeans a baseball cap on backwards and a .45 tucked in my pants, with a shirt over it. Next to it in a pocket, I keep a gold shield, cause I have been a cop for over 13 years. The way I am received in the area by white people makes my skin crawl". I wish that you could have seen some of the most pathetic, pi$$ poor excuses that I received for peoples' actions.

People, justifying your horrible actions towards other human beings makes you just as ignorant and stupid as you preceive them to be. I am shocked to learn that most people haven't learned or understood this yet. Alot of people I chat with on here, and some of the posts that I received were from people who realized that that wasn't good, said it was just the way they were raised, and would make an effort ( for themselves ) to work on it. Because they realized that if they didn't start to change themselves, they would never have an impact on the world. For those people, I commend them.
( for the record, I always dressed like that out of uniform. Just the way I felt comfortable )

I severely dislike Barrack Obama. I disagree with every word that comes out of the man's mouth. I am black, and will not vote for him, come november, and neither will my wife. ( so she says, but she has never given me a reason to doubt her ) I may not know everything, but I do know this, when Obama gets elected president, and it will happen, there are going to be alot of white people in southern maryland with their bottom lips poked out, and their shoulders slumped, scratching their heads and saying to themselves, " how did we let a black man become president?" I won't be happy, but I'll be proud. And there are going to be alot of changes made in this country.

To all the racists, bigots and haters out there I say this, your parents failed. Your community failed. They didn't raise a nice, upstanding, ( possible ) christian individual. Instead they raised a monster attempting to judge a person by the color of their skin, and the actions of a select few, rather than improving on their own lives, and improving their own outlook on society.

To everyone else, I applaud you. The world is diverse and different. WE KNOW, there are white people abusing the system, as much as there are black people taking drugs and robbing liquor stores. We know that Washington is full of white people, who have done nothing, and continue to do nothing for our entire country, as much as there are black people filling the inner cities and walking around under the overpasses with their hands out. All nationalities have sterotypes and misnomers associated with them. But we look past them. We understand that if the world is going to get better, we have to start HERE with us, and then move forward.

Hopefully things will get better people. Under Obama, I don't see it. But I have been wrong before. I don't live in SOMD anymore, but it still feels like home to me. I wish you all the best, and I am keeping my fingers crossed that the tornadoes decide to jump over that part of the world for the rest of the year. :howdy:

I literally cringe every time I see a title to thread like this one because I never know what to expect when I open it but this was well said. The comments that I have seen on SoMD.com have made me really look at SoMD completely different than when I was a child growing up there. People would always say how racially prejudiced and bigoted the SoMD was and I can honestly say in the 20 something years I lived there I never felt that way. However, this forum has completely changed my mind and shown me what the “real SoMD” is all about. I am glad you have come across people on here that WANT to CHANGE their way of thinking…

I moved to MoCo a few years ago and I love it, but what I love most about is the diversity. My sons’ class at his Daycare is made up of Black, White, Hispanic, and Indian children. But together they are all 1… 1 group of friends that love being in each others company every day. Only if adults could grasp this concept….

S

shiki

Not all "whites" feel or act the ways you have discribed, however, you have placed your self in the same judgemental society that you are Biatching about by making these statements.
Now, as far as a "black man" as president, I as a white person am actually waiting for the day that this happens to be able to realize actual change in this country. But not Obama, I simply don't trust his everday changes in his stances. I feel he is just a puppet for the dems.:howdy:

He didn't say that all whites feel or act...he said:

There are going to be alot of white people in southern maryland....

There is a difference between the two.

S

shiki

Okay, wait a minute.

Ever turn on your TV and watch "black" entertainment? Ever hear a gangsta rap? Ever see how "mainstream" black entertainers present themselves? They have a lot in common with your basic Baltimore street thug. And they revel in it, calling it a "culture".

If you are a nice looking black person who is clean and decently dressed, I double-dog guarantee that no white person will look twice at you. But if you walk around sagging and projecting a tough guy attitude, watch the white folk cross the street to avoid you.

Since blacks are a minority, most white people don't know huge groups of them personally - they'll know the black guy they work with, or the black guy who lives next door. And they will tell you that *this* black guy isn't like the others - you know, the ones he sees on TV and in the news after they've viciously beat someone on a city bus.

So racism is a circle and there is plenty of blame on both sides.

Of course I've noticed it. Just as I notice mainstream "white entertainment", if I may borrow your term, is obsessed with assassins as good guys, mobsters, murder, armed robbery, inbreeding and cannibalism. I notice that young white people like to shoot up schools and malls, and blow up buildings, kill their parents, manufacture and deal methamphetamines, start cults and have 20 wifes and 200 kids... and rap would never have attained its popularity or power if white kids hadn't loved it as much as black kids.

Give me a break.
Since whites are the majority should we then extrapolate that this is a good description of what all whites are like?

thurley42

HY;FR
Of course I've noticed it. Just as I notice mainstream "white entertainment", if I may borrow your term, is obsessed with assassins as good guys, mobsters, murder, armed robbery, inbreeding and cannibalism. I notice that young white people like to shoot up schools and malls, and blow up buildings, kill their parents, manufacture and deal methamphetamines, start cults and have 20 wifes and 200 kids... and rap would never have attained its popularity or power if white kids hadn't loved it as much as black kids.

Give me a break.
Since whites are the majority should we then extrapolate that this is a good description of what all whites are like?

i know i do!:killingme

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
However, this forum has completely changed my mind and shown me what the “real SoMD” is all about.

Stereotype much?

In fact, MOST people on here do not like racism and do not engage in it. But you keep painting the whole area with the same brush, m'kay?

Oh, the irony.

KeepItR3al

Live, Laugh, Love
Stereotype much?

In fact, MOST people on here do not like racism and do not engage in it. But you keep painting the whole area with the same brush, m'kay?

Oh, the irony.

Call it what you like.... I beg to differ…

Last edited:

KeepItR3al

Live, Laugh, Love
Okay, wait a minute.

Ever turn on your TV and watch "black" entertainment? Ever hear a gangsta rap? Ever see how "mainstream" black entertainers present themselves? They have a lot in common with your basic Baltimore street thug. And they revel in it, calling it a "culture".

Sterotype Much?

thurley42

HY;FR
Call it what you like.... I beg to defer…

honest question....The way I understand what you are saying is that by begging to differ, you think MOST people on here are racist....

so why would you keep coming around if you felt that way?

Not an attack of any sorts..an honest question.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

And who, my dear, are the first ones to denounce this sort of thing when it happens in real life?????

Unlike some self-proclaimed "black leaders" who actively encourage thuggish behavior in young blacks (Al Sharpton) or who try and excuse it and make it the white man's fault (Jesse Jackson). If a black person (Clarence Thomas, Walter Williams, Thomas Sowell, Mike Steel, etc, etc) dares to step outside the mentality and express a different opinion, they are promptly ripped to shreds by the "black leadership".

So don't bother going there. Blacks have allowed themselves to be used and bastardized by the race baiters, both white and black, so they have no one to blame for their poor PR but themselves.

donbarzini

Boo Hoo!!!!! Waaaaaaaaa!!! Waaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

"Somebody looked at me funny 'cause I'm black and I wear my pants hanging off my a$$, my hat is turned around backwards and I'm strapped!! Y'all gonna be sorry you picked on me when all them liberal crackers make O' bama the new president. You'll see. Things will get much better for me then."

Shut your effin trap!!! You dress like a fool. I'll look at you like a fool.

KeepItR3al

Live, Laugh, Love
honest question....The way I understand what you are saying is that by begging to differ, you think MOST people on here are racist....

so why would you keep coming around if you felt that way?

Not an attack of any sorts..an honest question.

I wouldn't' say that I feel MOST people on here are racist but I would say several are...

Coming around where, to the forum or to the area?

Qurious

Im On 1.
Stereotype much?

Oh, the irony.

If that is true, it was hard to tell when you did that racism poll. Everyone basically said "deal with it" and you have yet to put a stop to any of it because you engage in it the majority of the time yourself.

Xaquin44

Boo Hoo!!!!! Waaaaaaaaa!!! Waaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

"Somebody looked at me funny 'cause I'm black and I wear my pants hanging off my a$$, my hat is turned around backwards and I'm strapped!! Y'all gonna be sorry you picked on me when all them liberal crackers make O' bama the new president. You'll see. Things will get much better for me then."

Shut your effin trap!!! You dress like a fool. I'll look at you like a fool.

pssst.

he's not voting for obama.

(it helps you to not look stupid when you read)

I severely dislike Barrack Obama. I disagree with every word that comes out of the man's mouth. I am black, and will not vote for him

look. See that? It was the first post.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If that is true, it was hard to tell when you did that racism poll. Everyone basically said "deal with it" and you have yet to put a stop to any of it because you engage in it the majority of the time yourself.

Welcome to America. Please take a minute to read your guide book, which we call the "Constitution". If I were to ban people for controversial opinions, sis, you would have been one of the first ones to go.