The swamp sends up a weather balloon about bringing back the military draft

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
By Monica Showalter

With military recruitment numbers down, it was probably only a matter of time before someone from the Washington swamp bruited the idea of restoring the military draft.

Joe Plenzler, whose biography here suggests he's more than a little familiar with the swamp, wrote an op-ed for Military.com, via Tom Knighton, calling for this:

It's time to change how our country fills the ranks of our military.

The fastest and most effective way to resolve this recruiting crisis is to change how we recruit.
Instead of an "either an all-volunteer force or a fully conscripted force" model, I propose a both-and solution.
We should have our military recruiters sign up new troops for 11 months out of the year, and then have the Selective Service draft the delta between the military's needs and the total number recruited.
This model would alleviate the incredible pressure on our recruiters, lower the cost of finding new troops, and significantly reduce the much decried civilian-military gap by subjecting all of America's youth -- rich and poor -- to the possibility of military service via the draft.

Which, no matter how seemingly palatable the modified proposal, is still a restoration of the military draft and all its unpopular aspects, done to boost military recruitment numbers.

We have a history in this country of the military draft not working out as well as they thought it would work out -- in Vietnam, but also in the Civil War, both of which saw rebellion and riots as a result, but no matter.

Drafts the world over are sources of problems -- in Russia, we are hearing news of recruitment centers being burned down. We are also hearing of mass immigration, which we are seeing in Russia and Ukraine right now. That's also is why many of our ancestors came here to the states, including my own -- my Mennonite ancestors on the Swiss side were pacifists who had no intention of participating in war, while my Prussian ancestors really, really, really didn't want to serve in the inhuman conditions of Frederick the Great army and all its military exploits.

They lead to strange problems with age mis-matches, too, as we have seen in Singapore, where marriage rates are low because all men there are called to compulsory military service while women go to college, graduating two years earlier than men, which many in Singapore say contributes to fewer marriages and families forming. That may not affect us the same way here in the states, but the point here is that they are unpopular, Ron Paul has called them a type of slavery, and they are full of unintended consequences.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
^My great grandfather Louis "Liudas Rabinowitz" Robinson was sent to the US from Lithuania in 1886 when he was 14 by his parents to avoid him being impressed into the Tsar's army. He was accompanied by a maternal side 1st cousin, Eli "Elijah Glatzman" Glassman. They joined the family of a Glatzman uncle in Boston, MA. He had become Glassman, and Anglicized the boys' names. 2 years later, Louis' brother Eli joined them.

Clem72

If you get drafted just tell them you are trans and are undeployable? By the way, can anyone tell me if there is any other group of people allowed to join the military and be exempt from fighting? I understand we need support folks, but there's a name for support folk that do not have to actually fight, and that's civil service/contractor. Or am I mistaken? Military Doctors or Lawyers get a pass?

Reactions: BOP

stgislander

PREMO Member
Although it may not bring in enough to make up the losses, allow Sikh's a religious exemption to keep their long hair and beards, and wear a "uniform" turban. Those mf'ers are fighters.

BOP

If you get drafted just tell them you are trans and are undeployable? By the way, can anyone tell me if there is any other group of people allowed to join the military and be exempt from fighting? I understand we need support folks, but there's a name for support folk that do not have to actually fight, and that's civil service/contractor. Or am I mistaken? Military Doctors or Lawyers get a pass?
Chicks.

stgislander

PREMO Member
They already do
I remember reading about the guy that finally pushed through an exemption for him to serve. I thought that was one-off case though. Not a blanket decision to allow for their religious requirements.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
terminator-army-credit-warner-bros.jpg

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
What is this Mickey Mouse ####?

What in the name of Jesus H. Christ are you animals doing in my head?

Why is Private Pyle out of his bunk after lights-out?

Why is Private Pyle holding that weapon?

Why aren't you stomping Private Pyle's guts out?

WingsOfGold

We talk about freedom, life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. A draft forces someone away from their life with threat of prison if they don't go.
Tough shiit, patriotism is unfortunately dead. Why should those that realize the need have all the fun?