The Ten Biggest Lies about Smoke & Smoking

ylexot

Super Genius
Here's some more from Dennis Leary:
There's a guy- I don't know if you've heard about this guy, he's been on the news a lot lately. There's a guy- he's English, I don't think we should hold that against him, but apparently this is just his life's dream because he is going from country to country. He has a senate hearing in this country coming up in a couple of weeks. And this is what he wants to do. He wants to make the warnings on the packs bigger. Yeah! He wants the whole front of the pack to be the warning. Like the problem is we just haven't noticed yet. Right? Like he's going to get his way and all of the sudden smokers around the world are going to be going, "Yeah, Bill, I've got some cigarettes.. HOLY ####! These things are bad for you! ####, I thought they were good for you! I thought they had Vitamin C in them and stuff!" You ####ing dolt! Doesn't matter how big the warnings are. You could have cigarettes that were called the warnings. You could have cigarrets that come in a black pack, with a skull and a cross bone on the front, called tumors and smokers would be lined up around the block going, "I can't wait to get my hands on these ####ing things! I bet you get a tumor as soon as you light up! Numm Numm Numm Numm Numm" Doesn't matter how big the warnings are or how much they cost. Keep raising the prices, we'll break into your houses to get the ####ing cigarettes, ok!? They're a drug, we're addicted, ok!? Numm Numm Numm Numm Numm *wheeze*
And more:
I love to smoke. I love to smoke and I love to eat red meat. I love to eat raw ####ing red meat. Nothing I like better than sucking down a hot steaming cheese burger and a butt at the same time. I love to smoke. I love to eat red meat. I'll only eat red meat that comes from cows who smoke, ok!? Special cows they grow in Virginia with voice boxes in their necks. "[VB] Moo"
...and more:
I gonna open up my own place. Open my own restaurant and get away from you people. I gonna open up a restaurant with two smoking sections; Ultra and Regular, ok? And we're not gonna have any tables or any chairs or any napkins. None of that pussy ####. Just a big wide open black space. And all we're gonna serve is raw meat, right on the bone! And only men are going to eat there, naked men, sitting around a big giant camp fire, and no men's room either. You have to piss, you mark your territory like a wolf! And if some guy has a heart attack from eating too much meat, #### him, we throw him in the fire! More meat for the other meat-eaters! Yeah!
:killingme

Last edited:

BuddyLee

Football addict
ylexot said:
I'd like to see the actual report, not a summary. I couldn't find it through any of those links. It's a bit difficult to pick apart a summary.
That's probably the point, at least a side-point. Everyone's spewing off on the matter when you can merely pull up 10 other sites that ramble on with the same or opposing opinion. Like Elaine said, some people are predisposed to certain diseases. However, I don't think anyone can say that cigarette smoking and it's by-products are healthy.

MMDad

Lem Putt
2ndAmendment said:
That clause is one of the most improperly interpreted phrases in the entire U.S. Constitution. Only liberals read it so that government has the power to help/control individuals. Go back to the Federalist Papers and what the founders said of that clause and you will find that that the way it is used today is not what they had in mind.

It says "promote the general welfare", not "mandate the general welfare." That's what people forget.

There are state and federal agencies - OSHA - who's job it is to enforce safe work practices. If a state or federal OSHA determined there was a workplace risk and took action, that would be appropriate. The fact that these bans come from the legislatures (lawyers, not occupational health professionals) tells me that these are purely politically driven regulations.

ylexot

Super Genius
BuddyLee said:
However, I don't think anyone can say that cigarette smoking and it's by-products are healthy.
It doesn't have to be healthy. Along the lines of what MMDad is saying, exposure to X amount of second hand smoke has to be deemed unhealthy and say that areas need to maintain levels below X.

BuddyLee

Football addict
ylexot said:
It doesn't have to be healthy. Along the lines of what MMDad is saying, exposure to X amount of second hand smoke has to be deemed unhealthy and say that areas need to maintain levels below X.
Oh yea, because I really enjoy ingesting any amount of arsenic, cyanide, ect. at any given moment.:yay:

MMDad

Lem Putt
BuddyLee said:
Oh yea, because I really enjoy ingesting any amount of arsenic, cyanide, ect. at any given moment.:yay:

You do all day, every day. There are chemicals at your work that are far worse than cigarettes. Walk down the cleaning aisle and read some labels.

The key is in the quantities. The amount of mercury in a broken mercury vapor lamp won't hurt you, but if you broke the bulbs all day every day, your brain would turn to swiss cheese.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
BuddyLee said:

I enjoy sucking in a big lung full of car exhaust. :yay:

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
I like the smell of gasoline... and they way an exhaust smells on a cold day when you first start your vehicle....

:shrug: how soon am I gonna die from that??

MMDad

Lem Putt
Softballkid said:
I like the smell of gasoline... and they way an exhaust smells on a cold day when you first start your vehicle....

:shrug: how soon am I gonna die from that??

I was about to ask if you huff the gasoline, but anyone who has read your posts already knows the answer. :whistle:

BuddyLee

Football addict
MMDad said:
You do all day, every day. There are chemicals at your work that are far worse than cigarettes. Walk down the cleaning aisle and read some labels.

The key is in the quantities. The amount of mercury in a broken mercury vapor lamp won't hurt you, but if you broke the bulbs all day every day, your brain would turn to swiss cheese.
That's kinda a :durhard: though, almost everyone knows that. Would you 'choose' to put that in your system though?