The Tiki bar has been sold

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Originally posted by SuperGrover
i heard that they were going to make it into a cigar and martini bar. :smile:
Perhaps the restaurant next door will be converted, but I don't see the actual Tiki Bar being converted into a cigar and martini bar. It doesn't make economic sense. The current bar makes a freakin' killing, so why would anyone want to mess with a proven track record?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
That place is so out of "code" that it is going to cost the new owners a bundle just to bring it current. The current owners have probably been "grandfathered" in as far as the code goes. It's probably why it's remained on the market for so long.

The sale just doesn't include the Tiki Bar. It includes about 3 acres, the "marina," the motel, and a couple of other buildings.

Actually the motel was completely renovated after Isabel and is being run by somebody other than the owners. The fellow did a really nice job.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Originally posted by mAlice
Because it's a dump?
There is no doubt that the place is a dump. I was really referring to changes in the business itself, and not the infrastructure. The buildings desperately need upgrading, but the business of selling their signature drinks and beer probably shouldn't change too much. It's a popular place to go, the drinks are famous - even though a bit expensive - and people continue to flock there. Why mess with that?

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Because the drinks suck?
True that. But those nasty drinks still brings in floods of people - with big fat wallets. You have to admit, the place ain't hurtin' for business.

What kind of changes would you make, mAlice?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Originally posted by BadGirl
True that. But those nasty drinks still brings in floods of people - with big fat wallets. You have to admit, the place ain't hurtin' for business.

What kind of changes would you make, mAlice?

Any bar or restaurant with an ideal location will bring in floods of people with big, fat wallets. Especially if that location is on the water with a dock. Tiki isn't the only place on the island that makes a lot of money, and they're all dumps.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Any bar or restaurant with an ideal location will bring in floods of people with big, fat wallets. Especially if that location is on the water with a dock. Tiki isn't the only place on the island that makes a lot of money, and they're all dumps.
So once again I ask, what changes would you recommend?

The current owners have put virtually no money into the operation of their business in many many many years. Yet despite no/low influx of cash into the place, the bar continues to flourish and provide massive profits. Actually, it seems pretty smart to me: zero dollars going out, but still lots of profit coming in. What do you think the owners should do differently? Why do people continue going to a dump that overcharges for their drinks?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Originally posted by BadGirl
So once again I ask, what changes would you recommend?

The current owners have put virtually no money into the operation of their business in many many many years. Yet despite no/low influx of cash into the place, the bar continues to flourish and provide massive profits. Actually, it seems pretty smart to me: zero dollars going out, but still lots of profit coming in. What do you think the owners should do differently? Why do people continue going to a dump that overcharges for their drinks?

Do you have a problem with me expressing my opinion?

mizzle

In the hizzle

IMO the tiki bar is not a dump, I like it the atmosphere and the people, I personally could care less what shape the bar is in, most people stand outside anyway. The drinks are expensive, but the same as everywhere else (except the Green Door).