Then & Now

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
The older I get, the more I appreciate things from the past. The area in NJ where I grew up had 3 towns that were very similar in composition. Those towns formed a sort of suburban triangle. Busses ran between them decades ago when it wasn't uncommon for a family to not have a car. I enterprising artist went and found a bunch of old photos, complete with the home's address. Then he went out and found the current location, then took a comparison photo. All of these are available on a community facebook page. I tremendously enjoy the contrast. Sad to see a lot of the front porches disappear. Many photos have a corresponding photo of a completely different building, as the older home was torn down. Some people call this progress.

PJay

I prefer homes with porches.

And, have a greater appreciation of things from the past. There was a time I couldn't go in an antique store, felt them to be creepy. Dunno what happened but I love shopping in them today and looking.

luvmygdaughters

My childhood home had a big, screened in front porch. Some summer nights, my sisters and would sleep on the porch because it was so hot upstairs where are bedrooms were. This is before we had air conditioning. My grandparents home in Suitland, had both front and back porches. The back porch was where my cousins and I would help my grandmother snap beans or peel potatoes or string peas. The front porch was for Sunday evenings after dinner.

PJay

My childhood home had a big, screened in front porch. Some summer nights, my sisters and would sleep on the porch because it was so hot upstairs where are bedrooms were. This is before we had air conditioning. My grandparents home in Suitland, had both front and back porches. The back porch was where my cousins and I would help my grandmother snap beans or peel potatoes or string peas. The front porch was for Sunday evenings after dinner.

Mary Ellen Walton, is that you!?

glhs837

Power with Control
I love these also. Found that one of my great greats built a house on a main drag in my hometown in the 1860s. That house is still there today. As it what was originally it's barn/carriage house. I have a lot of my parents and grands places in Boston in pictures and some of those houses/buildings still stand today and I've looked them over on Google streetview.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Yeah.

They should have left the porch on each of those. They look strange.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
@Monello does that group include Paterson? I remember you're from close by to where my mother grew up. I couldn't tell you exactly which neighborhood she was from but I bet she'd love to see more of these pics. Would you PM me the group name?