Thinking of mailing in your ballot? Yeah, rethink that.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I vote in person, but I will vote early, when it comes up. I need to take Thing1 to vote and it's easier if it's not crowded

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Things haven’t been the same since you left….
Thanks for that, but I REALLY didn't run the whole thing.

Back in the early 20's, when I told my current PM that my mother had begun to pay her bills on line, and we were gonna be in trouble if the USPS didn't find a way to get on the online train, she poo-pooed me.

Now the USPS's biggest concern is those damned Amazon parcels. They still have the monopoly on lettermail, you'd think they'd want to show they can be EXCELLENT at that. But lettermail has shrunk so much, they truly can't be concerned with how well is does, or doesn't, work.

SamSpade

I remember SO MANY PEOPLE claiming that mail-in voting was not only the future, it's absolutely, totally secure.

I know that my FIRST reply is - "really? Would you ever consider paying your mortgage with CASH - through the mail?".

No, it's not. It is more convenient. HIGHLY susceptible to fraud. Years ago, at the Census we learned that blank Census forms were being dropped off in large bundles in the foyers of high rises and projects. And people were abusing them or destroying them. You can't just do mail-in without extremely good accountability. Mail-in isn't totally secure - it is just a lot more convenient.

I do MVA stuff by mail and online. Why? Well one, there's a money trail, so if anything goes wrong, I can dispute it and two - who the hell wants my registration? But a mail in vote, as it stands, is weak.

How do I know that? Because in 2020, when my sister went to early voting - they actually told her, oops, looks like you VOTED ALREADY.

SamSpade

Did she ever get that straightened out?
NOPE. What's she gonna do? It's not as though they can trace any of that stuff, nor do they want to.

I'm annoyed at say - Oregonians who claim oh we've been doing 100% mail in for years and it works fine. Yep. Complete one party rule, all the time. I'm sure somebody really likes TAHT.

DaSDGuy

I remember SO MANY PEOPLE claiming that mail-in voting was not only the future, it's absolutely, totally secure.

I know that my FIRST reply is - "really? Would you ever consider paying your mortgage with CASH - through the mail?".

No, it's not. It is more convenient. HIGHLY susceptible to fraud. Years ago, at the Census we learned that blank Census forms were being dropped off in large bundles in the foyers of high rises and projects. And people were abusing them or destroying them. You can't just do mail-in without extremely good accountability. Mail-in isn't totally secure - it is just a lot more convenient.

I do MVA stuff by mail and online. Why? Well one, there's a money trail, so if anything goes wrong, I can dispute it and two - who the hell wants my registration? But a mail in vote, as it stands, is weak.

How do I know that? Because in 2020, when my sister went to early voting - they actually told her, oops, looks like you VOTED ALREADY.
As soon as you REQUEST a main in ballot the system flags your records. You can STILL VOTE provisional. After all receive mail-in ballots are processed the provisional ballots are counted; IF your mail-in ballot was actually counted your provisional ballot does not get entered but it is saved.. ALL ballots are retained for 7 years. Mail in ballots require a form of ID to be submitted so you can request to see what what was received.

DaSDGuy

NOPE. What's she gonna do? It's not as though they can trace any of that stuff, nor do they want to.

I'm annoyed at say - Oregonians who claim oh we've been doing 100% mail in for years and it works fine. Yep. Complete one party rule, all the time. I'm sure somebody really likes TAHT.
Yes, they can trace that stuff.

SamSpade

As soon as you REQUEST a main in ballot the system flags your records. You can STILL VOTE provisional. After all receive mail-in ballots are processed the provisional ballots are counted; IF your mail-in ballot was actually counted your provisional ballot does not get entered but it is saved.. ALL ballots are retained for 7 years. Mail in ballots require a form of ID to be submitted so you can request to see what what was received.
So how do YOU think someone else voted for her?

DaSDGuy

Unless they went to early voting and claimed to be her, nobody voted for her yet. They may have requested a mail in ballot. Or she requested a mail in ballot and forgot. Who knows. Mail in ballots are not the real problem. Failure to require a photo ID when voting is the problem. That is how someone can vote for you. The poll books in Maryland don't update mail-in ballots until after the actual voting is finished on election day and those votes are canvased.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Unless they went to early voting and claimed to be her, nobody voted for her yet. They may have requested a mail in ballot. Or she requested a mail in ballot and forgot. Who knows. Mail in ballots are not the real problem. Failure to require a photo ID when voting is the problem. That is how someone can vote for you.
If not mistaken @SamSpade said it was in Oregon where they are all ballots by mail - no request required. Also, what 7 year requirement are you referring to in your earlier post? Is that a state specific deal?

stgislander

PREMO Member
I will either drop my my mail-in ballot at the drop box at 2nd District VFD, or drive it directly to the Leonardtown PO where it will get put directly in the BOE's PO box.