This is such :bs:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
If I may ...

Geez. All these high 5's and thumb ups. I only write from experience. Used to have reflux bad, especially at night while asleep. Horrible waking up to that, and I mean horrible. Changing to a good and proper diet completely stopped it, as well as started an exercise regime. Never looked back and absolutely no more reflux. So if you've changed to a proper diet, and exercise, and are still having reflux, then you have a much more serious issue such as a hiatal hernia, or are pregnant, or you are fat, smoke, and continue to eat and drink stuff such as alcohol, carbonated beverages, chocolate, citrus fruits such as oranges or lemons, coffee or tea (regular or decaffeinated) fatty or fried foods, foods containing tomato, such as spaghetti sauce, salsa, or pizza, garlic and onions, mint, spicy foods such as those containing chili or curry. Or you are taking aspirin or ibuprofen, some muscle relaxers, or certain blood pressure medications. You want to rid yourself of reflux? Then stop eating any and all processed foods. Eat only whole natural unprocessed type foods, lose those extra 50 pounds, if you have them, stop smoking and drinking, and exercise regularly. So instead of attempting to chastise me for only, initially offering some wisdom, take responsibility for your health. Prilosec, and like drugs, only suppresses the problem, it does not fix the problem, which is diet. These drugs shut down the proton pump, an enzyme involved in the production of stomach acid. They shut down a normal body function. There are newer studies now that show a link between these types of drugs and chronic kidney disease, in which the kidneys lose their ability to filter blood effectively. If you want to play Russian roulette with your life by taking pills, with serious side effects, to stop a normal body function instead of changing your diet, go right ahead.

Which to prefer, Lava or Ivory?

Popster

First the caveats... I'm not a doctor and am not trying to tell anyone what to do.

My wife has heartburn and tried various otc and prescription drugs for it. I suggested a remedy from my grandfather that I learned l in the 1950's. It might be worth a try. Mix a bit of vinegar with some water. We use rice vinegar. Take a shot of it and see what happens. Often the stomach keeps producing acid even though it is not needed. Even though it seems counter intuitive, by drinking the vinegar the signal gets sent that there is enough acid and the production of acid is stopped. It's worked like magic for my wife for at least 20 years. If you have pizza and are paying the price give it a try.

Also, if you have trouble at night, try a couple of bricks under the legs of your headboard. A slight incline can make a huge difference.

FWIW, YMMV

littlelady

God bless the USA
First the caveats... I'm not a doctor and am not trying to tell anyone what to do.

My wife has heartburn and tried various otc and prescription drugs for it. I suggested a remedy from my grandfather that I learned l in the 1950's. It might be worth a try. Mix a bit of vinegar with some water. We use rice vinegar. Take a shot of it and see what happens. Often the stomach keeps producing acid even though it is not needed. Even though it seems counter intuitive, by drinking the vinegar the signal gets sent that there is enough acid and the production of acid is stopped. It's worked like magic for my wife for at least 20 years. If you have pizza and are paying the price give it a try.

Also, if you have trouble at night, try a couple of bricks under the legs of your headboard. A slight incline can make a huge difference.

FWIW, YMMV

Vinegar is suggested as a healthy intake, no matter what your health. And, the elevating the bed, whether with bricks, or pillows is good advice.

And, don’t think you are off the hook for the update on Hattie and Beanie. :lol: :huggy:

Last edited:

Kinnakeet

If I may ...

Geez. All these high 5's and thumb ups. I only write from experience. Used to have reflux bad, especially at night while asleep. Horrible waking up to that, and I mean horrible. Changing to a good and proper diet completely stopped it, as well as started an exercise regime. Never looked back and absolutely no more reflux. So if you've changed to a proper diet, and exercise, and are still having reflux, then you have a much more serious issue such as a hiatal hernia, or are pregnant, or you are fat, smoke, and continue to eat and drink stuff such as alcohol, carbonated beverages, chocolate, citrus fruits such as oranges or lemons, coffee or tea (regular or decaffeinated) fatty or fried foods, foods containing tomato, such as spaghetti sauce, salsa, or pizza, garlic and onions, mint, spicy foods such as those containing chili or curry. Or you are taking aspirin or ibuprofen, some muscle relaxers, or certain blood pressure medications. You want to rid yourself of reflux? Then stop eating any and all processed foods. Eat only whole natural unprocessed type foods, lose those extra 50 pounds, if you have them, stop smoking and drinking, and exercise regularly. So instead of attempting to chastise me for only, initially offering some wisdom, take responsibility for your health. Prilosec, and like drugs, only suppresses the problem, it does not fix the problem, which is diet. These drugs shut down the proton pump, an enzyme involved in the production of stomach acid. They shut down a normal body function. There are newer studies now that show a link between these types of drugs and chronic kidney disease, in which the kidneys lose their ability to filter blood effectively. If you want to play Russian roulette with your life by taking pills, with serious side effects, to stop a normal body function instead of changing your diet, go right ahead.
How and why would you post such a mean spirited response.did your parents not tell you if you dont have nothing nice to say then dont say anything at all

terbear1225

Do you all honestly think OP's doctor hasn't already made all of these recommendations? I take daily zantac after changing diet, adding exercise, raising the head of my bed, etc at the advise of my doctor. I also happen to have a hiatal hernia and GERD. Instead of playing internet doctor and making assumptions, why not show a little compassion.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I was taking Nexium, however, the doc said she wanted me to start taking what she prescribed because I have an ulcer also. I called the docs office, her nurse is taking care of it for me.

I had a similar experience .... could not 'afford' the nexium doc ok, take this omeprazole .... it is over the counter does the same thing keeps the stomach acid down

YMMV

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
If you have pizza and are paying the price give it a try.

FWIW, YMMV

Pizza, dinner with lots of meat ...

:yay:

I did the headboard raise thing ....

luvmygdaughters

If I may ...

Why Thank You Doctor LightRoasted. I strive to be as perfect as you. Alas! It has not worked. FWIW, I have done all the above and you are right, its not just GERD. I have an ulcer.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Do you all honestly think OP's doctor hasn't already made all of these recommendations? I take daily zantac after changing diet, adding exercise, raising the head of my bed, etc at the advise of my doctor. I also happen to have a hiatal hernia and GERD. Instead of playing internet doctor and making assumptions, why not show a little compassion.

Of course not. If the, "patient heal thyself", were to happen, the doc would see a decline in profits. Doctors are not in the business of curing, they are in the business of managing symptoms. And I have compassion. As evidenced by my recommendations for the patient to heal thyself, and how to do it.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Why Thank You Doctor LightRoasted. I strive to be as perfect as you. Alas! It has not worked. FWIW, I have done all the above and you are right, its not just GERD. I have an ulcer.

You are welcome. But also, you can heal ulcers with a good and proper diet as well. And instead of using proton pump inhibitors, the old failsafe, Tums, aka calcium carbonate, works just fine at neutralizing the acid without changing your body's functions. Look, I know it's not easy to change ones diet, personal experience speaking here, but after awhile it becomes fun. And when you see and feel the difference it truly does make in your health and appearance, you'll be singing from the rooftops wanting to share in your experience and results. But in the beginning it takes time and commitment. If it hasn't worked for you, then you've done it incorrectly or were not committed. What else have you got to do? There are soooooo many programs on the internet that offer working solutions to what you suffer. Pick one and stick to it. Women are always talking about empowerment. Well here's one way to empower yourself. Take control away from your doctor, pharmaceuticals and the medical industrial complex, and heal yourself.

acommondisaster

I wonder about the original medicine - I was given Protonix after my double bypass, but there came a point where it was discontinued because the risk of side effects increased over time, and if I remember correctly, the side effects were pretty nasty. Maybe it is a reason such as that that caused Cigna to drop it. I had changed my lifestyle while taking the Protonix, like LightRoasted mentioned, and I felt good enough to go back to my bad way of eating. So when requested, the doctor ignored my request for another round of Protonix. The trigger for heartburn for me seems to be ice cream and carbonated drinks. Glad to hear you were able to get another medication; hope it clears up the ulcers for you! Has the doctor found the root cause of the ulcers? I'd want to know to avoid getting them again, because living on meds stinks.

nutz

I wanted to transfer the prescription from there to CVS in Leonardtown. That in itself was a P.I.A. Stopped by CVS last night, waited in line 20 minutes at drive thru is?!

One of the better things I’ve done is switch to a mom and pop pharmacy. Not any apparent price difference but there sure is on the customer service side.

PeoplesElbow

If I may ...

Of course not. If the, "patient heal thyself", were to happen, the doc would see a decline in profits. Doctors are not in the business of curing, they are in the business of managing symptoms. And I have compassion. As evidenced by my recommendations for the patient to heal thyself, and how to do it.

Maybe you should look for a self cure for sanctimony.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
One of the better things I’ve done is switch to a mom and pop pharmacy. Not any apparent price difference but there sure is on the customer service side.

:yeahthat: Family Care Pharmacy. They are awesome.

luvmygdaughters

Got the new med. Seems to work fine. I go to CVS because its convenient for me. For the most part, very happy with them. Husband gets his filled at the Bean building pharmacy. That place is a joke.

gemma_rae

After reading this I'm going to consider myself lucky. When I get an acid reflux attack I can drink cool water and, I assume, it flushes the acid back down and dilutes the stomach acid. The only drawback is I'm always looking for the bathroom. I'm going to try the ACV thing too.

Best of luck luv.