Thomas Jefferson Interesting quotes

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe,
we shall become as corrupt as Europe .
Thomas Jefferson

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes.
A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world.
Thomas Jefferson

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense
of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results
from too much government.
Thomas Jefferson

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear
arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of
patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which
he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson

In light of the present financial crisis, it's interesting to read what Thomas
Jefferson said in 1802:

'I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than
standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control
the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and
corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all
property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers
conquered.'

PulseStart

Go Bills!
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion. The people cannot be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty.... And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to the facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
One of the things the founders rebelled over and one of the great fears was instituted in 1913. What is it? The Federal Reserve. It is mostly a privately owned bank with some government elements. Didn't know that? Most don't. It controls the U.S. currency. The central bank of England was one of the things the founders rebelled against. Jefferson would have been ready to revolt a long time ago; say 1864. I dare say he would have been on the side of the South.

R

RadioPatrol

One of the things the founders rebelled over and one of the great fears was instituted in 1913. What is it? The Federal Reserve. It is mostly a privately owned bank with some government elements. Didn't know that? Most don't. It controls the U.S. currency. The central bank of England was one of the things the founders rebelled against. Jefferson would have been ready to revolt a long time ago; say 1864. I dare say he would have been on the side of the South.

R

RadioPatrol

R

RadioPatrol

One of the things the founders rebelled over and one of the great fears was instituted in 1913. What is it? The Federal Reserve. It is mostly a privately owned bank with some government elements.

Last edited by a moderator:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
As we hand over $900 billion of our tax dollars to the Hamas terrorists, this quote of Jefferson's comes to mind;

"Millions for defense, not one cent for tribute"

'I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.'

I'm somewhat skeptical of that last quote being attributed to Jefferson. Is it possible that he said it - yes - but I highly doubt it. I don't believe that the use of the words inflation and deflation, in that context, began until much later. If someone can find a citation for it, I would appreciate it.

The first portion of the quote may derive from the following, which is the conclusion of a long letter that he wrote to John Taylor on May 28, 1816:

And I sincerely believe, with you, that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies; and that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale.

I salute you with constant friendship and respect.

Here are some other Jefferson quotes, which seem fitting now.

From his 1st Inaugural Address, March 4, 1801

Still one thing more, fellow-citizens--a wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned.
From his first Annual Message, December 8, 1801

When we consider that this government is charged with the external and mutual relations only of these states; that the states themselves have principal care of our persons, our property, and our reputation, constituting the great field of human concerns, we may well doubt whether our organization is not too complicated, too expensive; whether offices or officers have not been multiplied unnecessarily, and sometimes injuriously to the service they were meant to promote.
Agriculture, manufacture, commerce, and navigation, the four pillars of our prosperity, are the most thriving, when left most free to individual enterprise.
From his 2nd Inaugural Address, March 4, 1805

... equality of rights maintained , and that state of property, equal or unequal, which results to every man from his own industry, or that of his fathers.
And, the following was included in a short letter that Thomas Jefferson wrote to Thomas Jefferson Smith, the son of a friend, Samuel Harrison. Harrison had requested that Jefferson give his son some advice which might aid the course of his life, and Jefferson obliged in a letter penned about a year and a half before his own death.

A Decalogue of Canons for observation in practical life:

1. Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today.
2. Never trouble another for what you can do yourself.
3. Never spend your money before you have it.
4. Never buy what you do not want, because it is cheap; it will be dear to you.
5. Pride costs us more than hunger, thirst, and cold.
6. We never repent of having eaten too little.
7. Nothing is troublesome that we do willingly.
8. How much pain have cost us the evils which never have happened.
9. Take things always by their smooth handle.
10. When angry, count ten, before you speak; if very angry, an hundred.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
I'm somewhat skeptical of that last quote being attributed to Jefferson. Is it possible that he said it - yes - but I highly doubt it. I don't believe that the use of the words inflation and deflation, in that context, began until much later. If someone can find a citation for it, I would appreciate it.

The first portion of the quote may derive from the following, which is the conclusion of a long letter that he wrote to John Taylor on May 28, 1816:

Here are some other Jefferson quotes, which seem fitting now.

From his 1st Inaugural Address, March 4, 1801

From his first Annual Message, December 8, 1801

From his 2nd Inaugural Address, March 4, 1805

And, the following was included in a short letter that Thomas Jefferson wrote to Thomas Jefferson Smith, the son of a friend, Samuel Harrison. Harrison had requested that Jefferson give his son some advice which might aid the course of his life, and Jefferson obliged in a letter penned about a year and a half before his own death.

I think that last "quote" is a compilation of actual statements with a bit of paraphrase thrown in.

Here is a compilation of Jeffersonian quotes on banking. Needless to say, he did not like a central bank and would not like the Federal Reserve or any of the bailouts. Jefferson on Politics & Government: Money & Banking