Tiger is...

b23hqb

PREMO Member
NO. Woods needs to be..........QUOTE]

I thought Tiger, Eldrick, whichever you prefer, was more black than bama :confused:

Anyway... Isn't laughing and carrying on in the middle of the course the same as smacking your club on the ground? Cause, according to your reference to professionalism/business.. They were both done in the same place, at the same time (golf course, Sunday)...

So using your comparison, if the business meeting didn't go the way I wanted, and I just started laughing and hugging everyone, that would be ok, because THAT is professionalism?? getting my arse kicked, so I just give up, not care, laugh and carry on the rest of the time

Yes, you are confused. Very much so, but I imagine you'll never figure that out.

Where was black/mulatto/numerous assorted races mentioned, whatever you prefer to call either Eldrick or the current occupant of the WH? Since when do actions by a person on a golf course relate to actions by a person in the WH? Where was color mentioned?

Oh, by you, of course.

Oh, I forgot. Never, ever, ever, criticize any actions, public or private, on the field or in the political arena, by any person of color, no matter the mix?????

No criticism allowed.......

You are a hoot to read.:popcorn:

thurley42

HY;FR
Yes, you are confused. Very much so, but I imagine you'll never figure that out.

Where was black/mulatto/numerous assorted races mentioned, whatever you prefer to call either Eldrick or the current occupant of the WH? Since when do actions by a person on a golf course relate to actions by a person in the WH? Where was color mentioned?

Oh, by you, of course.

Oh, I forgot. Never, ever, ever, criticize any actions, public or private, on the field or in the political arena, by any person of color, no matter the mix?????

You're the one who brought it up, he's just trying to take on the tedious task of guessing what you meant.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
You're the one who brought it up, he's just trying to take on the tedious task of guessing what you meant.

Check your stats, t42 - no mention of color by me. Your previous quote of me included the quote by Softballkid in post #31 that prompted my response.

I guess you could be playing the "Seven Steps to Kevin Bacon" type of game to bring race into it.

That is tedious on his and your part.

Keep at it. You will probably be able to blame it on Ronald Reagan soon enough.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
He was "what the game needed". He could do no wrong. A lot like the current occupant of the WH.

Yeah, right.

Oh, by you, of course.

I guess I am too confused. I mean, YOU made the first reference to the WH.

My statement implies the only thing they have in common is they are both part black, but I believe Tiger is more black than bama.

As for your other comments. I don't think any response is necessary, I can already tell you are an 'I'm always right, and you can't tell me any different' type... and I don't have the time to waste arguing against that today :lol:

thurley42

HY;FR
Check your stats, t42 - no mention of color by me. Your previous quote of me included the quote by Softballkid in post #31 that prompted my response.

I guess you could be playing the "Seven Steps to Kevin Bacon" type of game to bring race into it.

That is tedious on his and your part.

Keep at it. You will probably be able to blame it on Ronald Reagan soon enough.

What does the Gipper have to do with this? You are old and starting to go senile.....

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
I don’t like it in any sport, not even hockey. I hate it when players grandstand in the end zone; making it all about them. The brawls, fights, rushing the mound, etc… I can’t stand any of it. It’s a sport. It requires sportsmanship. Respect. We’re seeing more and more at little league and school games parents getting in fights over games. It’s gotten chronically stupid; and sad.

But golf is different. It’s not called ‘the gentlemen’s sport’ for nothing. It’s such an honest sport that when a player accidentally taps a ball with his putter he will point it out even when no one saw it and take a penalty stroke. But sports are supposed to be fun to play and watch. It’s not fun watching someone as talented as Tiger completely blow his cork and allow his lack of discipline ruin his game. I was hoping like so many people that he would become the great player everyone predicted. I happen to think greatness is far more than just ability to play great.

You make very valid points here, on all of those... problem is, those times have past in sports. The majority of todays society, wants to see the emotion, because it reminds us about how in the end, they are human as well. They do mess up, struggle, etc... People like emotion, touchdown dances, player hits a goal in hockey an they slide halfway down the rink to get bombarded by their team... It's the excitement factor..

Let's face it, without Tiger, golf could possible be off of tv. Or, have 1 channel it is aired on/talked about on. The greats were getting to old, the crowds (beyond diehard golfers) had no one to follow/talk about... Then here came this young kid Tiger... and let's face it, he changed the game, and the face of golf.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
You make very valid points here, on all of those... problem is, those times have past in sports. The majority of todays society, wants to see the emotion, because it reminds us about how in the end, they are human as well. They do mess up, struggle, etc... People like emotion, touchdown dances, player hits a goal in hockey an they slide halfway down the rink to get bombarded by their team... It's the excitement factor..

Let's face it, without Tiger, golf could possible be off of tv. Or, have 1 channel it is aired on/talked about on. The greats were getting to old, the crowds (beyond diehard golfers) had no one to follow/talk about... Then here came this young kid Tiger... and let's face it, he changed the game, and the face of golf.

I don't think PGA golf would be off network TV. Eldrick brought a young, fresh aspect to the game, and dominated for a decade. That decade is gone. He hit the game when the previous greats were just gone or on the way out.

The same thing is happening today, but now to him. Woods will be around, but no longer the force that so many, especially TV, want him to be. He'll win occasionally, maybe even another major.

He has been passed by the new guns, and there a lot of them, not just one or two. I doubt if anyone on the tour is in awe of him anymore (except for his past accomplishments), and probably very few fear or are nervous playing against him. They wanted to be like Woods, and boy, did they succeed. Woods has now become just one of them, maybe.

I don't think the game is going anywhere just because there is no new 20 year old with multi-racial (you guys brought up the racial aspect) parents, a snappy name, and a $40 million guaranteed contract before he took his first professional swing.

He hurt himself in his heyday by being very aloof to the fans and spectators, even to those who were were crazy for him.

Woods is a lot like Jeff Gordon of NASCAR. When they both came up and had incredible success so early and often, they had legions of fans because so many love a winner. They both also had hoards of spectators that had no particular like for them because wins came so easy, so often, and the attention laid upon them at the expense of so many other great, well liked golfers and drivers.

The difference is Gordon retained, even gained, more fans since then, including long droughts of not winning. Personality and paying attention to fans is huge.

Pretty much the opposite for Woods. His real personality has been showing up the last three years, and there are legions that just don't give a hoot about him anymore except for his latest display of embarrassment.

He's just another player on the tour now. Good luck to him.

thurley42

HY;FR
I don't think PGA golf would be off network TV. Eldrick brought a young, fresh aspect to the game, and dominated for a decade. That decade is gone. He hit the game when the previous greats were just gone or on the way out.

The same thing is happening today, but now to him. Woods will be around, but no longer the force that so many, especially TV, want him to be. He'll win occasionally, maybe even another major.

He has been passed by the new guns, and there a lot of them, not just one or two. I doubt if anyone on the tour is in awe of him anymore (except for his past accomplishments), and probably very few fear or are nervous playing against him. They wanted to be like Woods, and boy, did they succeed. Woods has now become just one of them, maybe.

I don't think the game is going anywhere just because there is no new 20 year old with multi-racial (you guys brought up the racial aspect) parents, a snappy name, and a $40 million guaranteed contract before he took his first professional swing.

He hurt himself in his heyday by being very aloof to the fans and spectators, even to those who were were crazy for him.

Woods is a lot like Jeff Gordon of NASCAR. When they both came up and had incredible success so early and often, they had legions of fans because so many love a winner. They both also had hoards of spectators that had no particular like for them because wins came so easy, so often, and the attention laid upon them at the expense of so many other great, well liked golfers and drivers.

The difference is Gordon retained, even gained, more fans since then, including long droughts of not winning. Personality and paying attention to fans is huge.

Pretty much the opposite for Woods. His real personality has been showing up the last three years, and there are legions that just don't give a hoot about him anymore except for his latest display of embarrassment.

He's just another player on the tour now. Good luck to him.

No, you don't give a hoot about him. People my age still love Tiger and think he'll still get those final 4 majors. I won't dispute that there is a new generation of young golfers who are just as competative, but that is a direct result of Tiger's presence in the game. I'm 3 years younger than Tiger, he's always been around, there was hardly anyone older than me playing golf when I started. Tiger made it cool for mainstream youth to play, and everyone of the new generation say time and time again the reason for thier love of golf started with Tiger.

As far as race, I didn't say word one, you and Softball are debating that, I just pointed out your meds start wearing off and you go way out in the back 40.

PsyOps

Pixelated
No, you don't give a hoot about him. People my age still love Tiger and think he'll still get those final 4 majors. I won't dispute that there is a new generation of young golfers who are just as competative, but that is a direct result of Tiger's presence in the game. I'm 3 years younger than Tiger, he's always been around, there was hardly anyone older than me playing golf when I started. Tiger made it cool for mainstream youth to play, and everyone of the new generation say time and time again the reason for thier love of golf started with Tiger.

There is the disparity. Your point of reference is short. Your “Tiger’s always been around” comment indicates this. I can remember decades where Tiger wasn’t even a blip on the map. In my mind, the 70s and 80s were probably the most illustrious period for the PGA.
You have no real memory of great players like Nicklaus, Watson, Pavin, Stewart, and Trevino. These guys (and many more) put golf on the map. If not for these guys there likely wouldn’t be a Tiger. Those people made it cool for people like me in my youth to pick up golf. When I compare Nicklaus to Tiger I think back at how Jack stayed so steady no matter what the pressure or how good or bad he was playing. Tiger behaves like a baby that had his lollypop taken away from him.

I guess until you can actually watch someone like Jack, in his prime, tearing up the course you can’t truly appreciate someone that not only controls the game but also gave it the reputation it has earned through his cool and calm play: A Gentlemen’s Game. If you had watched golf in this capacity for as long as I have you might see Tiger in a different light. But since your point of reference is so short, you think this (Tiger’s golf) is golf. Performance-wise, Tiger is a monster. But there is so much more to golf than that. And Tiger is not golf in my opinion. Or maybe he is. If this what we have to expect out of our new breed of golfers you can count me out.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
I don't think PGA .................He's just another player on the tour now. Good luck to him.

I find it harder to believe, that these current young guns, with crazy hair, wild pants, multi-colored clubs(Bubbas Pink club was cool though because it had meaning), and at minimum, 1/4-1/2 the current sponsors would have anything to do with golf if it hadn't of been for Tiger coming in with all the hype, and performing up to it. It's so rare someone with that type of hype ever lives up to it, and for the majority of his career, he has, and to those of us where golf started and ended with putt-putt at the time, he brought us over to the real courses.

Another part of it, look at the amount of money going into golf supplies now by TM, Nike, Pinnacle, Callaway etc... improving the balls all the time, the club heads, etc... It's because the old days of - just let me hit it straight 225-240 yrds are gone. Courses are moving the tees back, making holes harder than ever, because if you aren't averaging 300+ with the driver, chances are slim you are able to keep up. The new golfers hit it further, with more control than ever.

But again, like him or not, without Tiger, I'll stick to it, none of the current young guys would either be playing golf, or would have any of the hype they do. And I do not believe there are enough guys on the PGA to carry it without them or Tiger showing up each week.

As for the race thing, I'm not saying golf needs another 20 some black, multi-racial, etc golfer to come along... But when Tiger did, PGA NEEDED it! Let's face it, they were losing more than they were gaining. And he brought into it A) young crowd. B) The old stubborn way of thinking - A black guy cant really be that good at golf! Can he?! So people either wanted him to fail or succeed for numerous reasons C) Sponsors that had never even thought golf was worth $.02 are now dumping money at them, making clothes, shoes, etc.. D) The new face of the game.

There is the disparity. Your point of reference is short. Your “Tiger’s always been around” comment indicates this. I can remember decades where Tiger wasn’t even a blip on the map. In my mind, the 70s and 80s were probably the most illustrious period for the PGA.
You have no real memory of great players like Nicklaus, Watson, Pavin, Stewart, and Trevino. These guys (and many more) put golf on the map. If not for these guys there likely wouldn’t be a Tiger. Those people made it cool for people like me in my youth to pick up golf. When I compare Nicklaus to Tiger I think back at how Jack stayed so steady no matter what the pressure or how good or bad he was playing. Tiger behaves like a baby that had his lollypop taken away from him.

I guess until you can actually watch someone like Jack, in his prime, tearing up the course you can’t truly appreciate someone that not only controls the game but also gave it the reputation it has earned through his cool and calm play: A Gentlemen’s Game. If you had watched golf in this capacity for as long as I have you might see Tiger in a different light. But since your point of reference is so short, you think this (Tiger’s golf) is golf. Performance-wise, Tiger is a monster. But there is so much more to golf than that. And Tiger is not golf in my opinion. Or maybe he is. If this what we have to expect out of our new breed of golfers you can count me out.

Let's be honest though, except for on youtube, how many of these young golfers, who are rapidly becoming the new faces of the PGA, and doing more and more of the winning, and gaining more and more of the 'followers' know of these 'glory' years first hand... None...
Like me, most of their knowledge in some way shape or form, has to do with Tiger.

As for Jack staying steady, Jack didn't have a lot of the things to deal with that Tiger does as far as main stream media goes. Every move you make being watched, wrote about, put on tv, etc... It was an easier time back then to keep a cool head, be low-key but famous. Those days are gone.

As for the Tiger golf being acceptable... I'll speak for myself here, and maybe Thurley kinda. -It's not that we are saying it's ok to chuck your club 30 yrds down the course. But it is more acceptable to us to get frustrated, drop your club, spew a few cuss words at it, etc... Does he go to far sometimes, yeah, he can. But like everyone, he's human, and it's a nice reminder to me that even the 'best' can fall down, get mad, etc.. I'd rather see someone show me their true feelings, than have a horrible day and just smile and nod and play puppet for how they are supposed to act.

thurley42

HY;FR

While I'm too young to have seen him play live in his prime, I'm a Buckeye. I've had the pleasure of meeting him 3 times. Once at the Memorial, and twice at the Scarlet and Gray courses. I've seen enough of his highlights and history to have a huge admiration for Jack.

That being said, I saw a local interview right after all of the Tiger drama started to come out in the media. Jack was asked about it and basically said He was glad that he played in a day where a persons private life was respected, and not thrown out in the public for the world to see. Players today play with a lot more distractions and a lot more pressure than the guys 25 years did. The sponsorships, the media, it's much more overwhelming today.

Golf is, and always has been a game seeded in decency and respect. Just because someone gets angry every now and then, I think we don't need to nail him up on a cross. Everything evolves, and golf is no different. The players are younger, technology is better, and flair of golf reflects that.

Is it going to turn into Happy Gilmore? No, of course not. But I can assure you, it isn't going to be the safe stuffy old man game that it was for generations.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Let's be honest though, except for on youtube, how many of these young golfers, who are rapidly becoming the new faces of the PGA, and doing more and more of the winning, and gaining more and more of the 'followers' know of these 'glory' years first hand... None...
Like me, most of their knowledge in some way shape or form, has to do with Tiger.

As for Jack staying steady, Jack didn't have a lot of the things to deal with that Tiger does as far as main stream media goes. Every move you make being watched, wrote about, put on tv, etc... It was an easier time back then to keep a cool head, be low-key but famous. Those days are gone.

As for the Tiger golf being acceptable... I'll speak for myself here, and maybe Thurley kinda. -It's not that we are saying it's ok to chuck your club 30 yrds down the course. But it is more acceptable to us to get frustrated, drop your club, spew a few cuss words at it, etc... Does he go to far sometimes, yeah, he can. But like everyone, he's human, and it's a nice reminder to me that even the 'best' can fall down, get mad, etc.. I'd rather see someone show me their true feelings, than have a horrible day and just smile and nod and play puppet for how they are supposed to act.

If any of these youngsters in the PGA (Tiger, McIlroy, Fowler, etc…) come in to the PGA oblivious to the major influences and contributions of Nicklaus, Palmer, Watson, etc… I would be very surprised. Not one of them can claim their swing, approach, and strategies are singularly theirs. All of them learned – in one way or another – through influences of the past.

As far as Jack goes, I somewhat agree with you that today’s media is a major player in our new players. The media propped Tiger up too fast. Jack has his level of scrutiny and criticism; and when he started winning he was pushed front and center of the game. But you’re making the argument that Tiger couldn’t handle it. That he somehow has an excuse for his misbehavior because the media put too much pressure on him. Tiger is now 36 years old, but still acting like he’s 15. He’s run out of excuses as far as I’m concerned. Blaming the media at this point is…….. pointless.

On your ‘everyone is human’ point, I think it’s important to point out that Tiger is the most fined golfer in the history of the PGA (at least according to Golf Channel’s John Feinstein). Hardly a bragging right.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Golf is, and always has been a game seeded in decency and respect. Just because someone gets angry every now and then, I think we don't need to nail him up on a cross. Everything evolves, and golf is no different. The players are younger, technology is better, and flair of golf reflects that.

This is far more than just Tiger losing his temper now and then. It’s nearly every tournament he doesn’t do well in. As I mentioned in my post to Softballkid, Tiger is now 36. He is the most fined in the PGA. If he doesn’t get his act together (which I really hope he does), he will leave golf in disgrace. The only person nailing Tiger to the cross is Tiger.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
If any of these youngsters.....................

On your ‘everyone is human’ point, I think it’s important to point out that Tiger is the most fined golfer in the history of the PGA (at least according to Golf Channel’s John Feinstein). Hardly a bragging right.

Of course all the younsters know about the ole legends... Every sport you play/love you learn about the legends... But what I'm saying, is I do not believe the youngsters would have fell in love with golf just because they caugh one clip of ole Jack or something... There had to be someone else to pull them in, and I feel Tiger had a lot of do with that.

As for making it sound like I blame the media, well, to an extent, yes. But that is not my main intention. I just think the media is way over invasive, and it has to be hard to concentrate when every time you turn around, someone wants a story, a picture, eggs you on do say something, etc..etc.. so they can have a story. Media has changed dramatically in the last 30 years.

As for the fines, he leads just about every year. And the fact that it hasn't changed his approach to things, and he still goes out, does his thing, good or bad, I commend him for that :yay: But let's be honest, if you pass gas on todays PGA Tour your looking at the fine :ohwell:

It's like football, -your socks are a 1/4" too high, 1k fine for you :evil:

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I think tiger balm is the best!

:yahoo:

Yeah, buddy. But that was around way before Woods came on the scene.

Perhaps he should use some and maybe balm down a bit, and just realize he can no longer have his way on the course the way he was used to having, four or five years ago.

I was never a Nicklaus fan, either, but certainly appreciated the way he respected the game. He knew he was not the game, but the game itself was him.