Tiki Bar Obituary ?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Solomons has to be the only place on earth that doesn't like waterfront bars and wants to see them closed. Everywhere we go along the coast there are waterfront bars and they are popular gathering places for locals and tourists alike, but Solomons? Noooo......they want to close theirs. The SBA has been bitching about the Tiki Bar for as long as I remember, apparently not caring that it's a big draw to the island.

:crazy:

Yeah? Like what?

:crazy:

Methinks they want to be all highfalutin and such and don't like the Redneck Madri Gras that comes to town. Remember the insufferable Dr. Reed? :roflmao:

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
The SBA is bipolar. They complained about the APBA racing event and so it went away. Then they complained about the lost revenue and eventually welcomed them back...and then pissed them off again with a lack of support...

I don't think "they" know what they want.

It's like they've never been anywhere and seen how other communities handle their tourism and local entertainment venues. Like they want Solomons to be some obscure fishing village that nobody goes to so they can all sit there admiring their art and overpriced merchandise and not have to bother with pesky customers. Anything that might be a draw is met with resistance and roadblocks.

There is a way to merge the commercial area with residential - we've seen communities do it successfully all across the United States.

My experience in dealing with Calvert County businesses over the last 30+ years has led me to the conclusion that way too many of them are so dumb they'd lose an IQ test against a brick. That's from one end of the County to the other.

My most recent example is this past Christmas in the Beach when several of them ran Christmas specials. On Wednesday and Thursday before Christmas from Noon until 3. Closed 1/2 day Friday, closed Saturday and Sunday.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Obviously not. I went to my share of openings and the bar itself on occasion. I see the SBA cutting its nose off to spite its face and can hear the cries from lost business now as the folks who come to the opening spend tons of cash in THEIR businesses also.

Watch the otters at the marine museum? :shrug: :lol:

You can do that online year round. Don't even need to leave your house. :lol:

gary_webb

Damned glad to meet you
The SBA is bipolar. They complained about the APBA racing event and so it went away. Then they complained about the lost revenue and eventually welcomed them back...and then pissed them off again with a lack of support...

Are you referring to the OPA - Offshore Powerboat Association Solomons Grand Prix?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The Tiki bar is nothing more than a white trash watering hole. Burn it down and build something new.

LOL. Like...what? How many successful hospitality businesses have you run that you think would succeed in that location?

MR47930

LOL. Like...what? How many successful hospitality businesses have you run that you think would succeed in that location?

Does it have to be a hospitality business? I'm asking seriously, not sure if its titled that way. A developer would pay big $$ to buy the property and turn it into condo's.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Does it have to be a hospitality business? I'm asking seriously, not sure if its titled that way. A developer would pay big $$ to buy the property and turn it into condo's.

Developing the property with condos is probably the only option that would make any economic sense...

That bar is a 'destination'. People come from everywhere, not just locals. When they come to the bar, they also buy things and eat locally. Loss of that bar will lead to loss of overall revenue for the entire island.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
That bar is a 'destination'. People come from everywhere, not just locals. When they come to the bar, they also buy things and eat locally. Loss of that bar will lead to loss of overall revenue for the entire island.

But hsan't that been the trend for quite some time now?....the "destination" waterfront restaurant/bar business has been going downhill steadily since back in the 90s when I owned one. About every location on Solomons that is left seems to turn over every few years or so...and few get rave reviews.

But hsan't that been the trend for quite some time now?....the "destination" waterfront restaurant/bar business has been going downhill steadily since back in the 90s when I owned one. About every location on Solomons that is left seems to turn over every few years or so...and few get rave reviews.

That's happening because their food is sub-par. It may start out good, but poor management (not referring to yours...) and lack of interest leads to a poor dining experience and declining customers. These places could make a bundle if they got their acts together.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

That's happening because their food is sub-par. It may start out good, but poor management (not referring to yours...) and lack of interest leads to a poor dining experience and declining customers. These places could make a bundle if they got their acts together.

Dry Dock and CD Cafe have both been there forever...

No matter what goes into The Pier location, sucks due to bad food and service.

Dry Dock and CD Cafe have both been there forever...

No matter what goes into The Pier location, sucks due to bad food and service.

There are a few really good places, but the poor outnumber the good by a far margin. The locals will find the good places, but it's not worth the trip or experience for those further away. The overall impression is that there aren't many good restaurants left, and that detracts from the good destination feeling.

I don't hesitate at all to head to Annapolis for lunch because I know wherever I go I will not be disappointed. For me, Annapolis is a destination.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
There are a few really good places, but the poor outnumber the good by a far margin. The locals will find the good places, but it's not worth the trip or experience for those further away. The overall impression is that there aren't many good restaurants left, and that detracts from the good destination feeling.

I don't hesitate at all to head to Annapolis for lunch because I know wherever I go I will not be disappointed. For me, Annapolis is a destination.

I agree, completely.

I don't consider LaPlata a destination either, but after having dinner at Galazio a few weeks ago, we will certainly be going back!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Now that I have to agree with. We feel the same. Probably head there on the scooters when the weather improves a bit and I get a new battery in hers.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Not where Monello and I go. All over Florida, Charleston area, Myrtle Beach, Galveston, Biloxi, Newport, Mystic CT, Bar Harbor, Jersey Shore - nowhere else do they have a problem pimping out their waterfront bar/restaurant for doodad impulse shoppers. Many of these places have multiple waterfront venues and have no problem filling them with customers, who then go buy a bunch of stuff they don't need from the shops.