Tiki Bar Obituary ?

1stGenSMIB

I am a blow boater and I loved the power boat races!

My regular Tiki Bar experience was Sunday afternoons..but, I bet we only made it two or three times last year. I usually end up going home on Sunday afternoon and pushing the lawnmower around after working on, err..I mean, hanging out on my dock-o-minium.

All that being said, I don't wish it to close forever. I really liked the expansion out back so that we weren't all jammed up in the "bar" proper.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
No matter what goes into The Pier location, sucks due to bad food and service.

And why is that? Stoney's on Broomes Island has always been great food and service, yet stick them in that fantastic Pier location and out comes suckage. There has never been a restaurant worth a crap in that spot since I first came to SoMD over 30 years ago.

1stGenSMIB

And why is that? Stoney's on Broomes Island has always been great food and service, yet stick them in that fantastic Pier location and out comes suckage. There has never been a restaurant worth a crap in that spot since I first came to SoMD over 30 years ago.

The Pier has been stacked up with older/retired age locals recently especially on Fridays (I am old and sorta local, but not retired yet)..they fill the bar area and raise a ruckus. The food has been OK, and service fair..I wish they had something light besides Bud Light on tap.

I think they have or will open the outside bar area soon.

I am OK with Stoney's not trying to run EVERY restaurant on the island.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There is a place called Stan's in Goodland, FL that is THE destination every weekend. It's very similar to Gilligan's in Newberg, with food and alcohol and bands and people coming from all over to have a blast. There's no reason why the Tiki Bar can't be something like that, and in fact that's where they seemed to be going with it when Terry died.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

Stoney's no longer runs the joint. They did take over the old Catamaran's, now known as The Crabpot, but I'm not even sure when they are even open. We have been by a few times and they were always closed. Last Friday's music ended up over at Stoney's Clarkes Landing. They can't seem to get their #### together. :shrug:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It's very similar to Gilligan's in Newberg, with food and alcohol and bands and people coming from all over to have a blast. .

Yet they still struggled financially off and on and were for sale for a while...not sure if it sold yet. It's a tough, tough business to actually make a buck with. My place in Piney Point would routinely be packed to the Fire MArshall's limit on many weekends and everyone figured I must have been getting rich....far from it, in fact. Once all the bands and bills and employees and rent etc was paid, surprisingly few weeks were in the black. And the bar business has gotten tougher since way back then...fewer people go to them like they once did.

MR47930

Lighthouse doesn’t seem to have any problems filling the place. It’s a stones throw away from tiki. The issue with tiki is they want $5 for a can of bud light and $8 for a cup of sugar water with some sh*tty well liquor. Hopefully Grill Sergeants doesn’t close because that place is :snacks:

MiddleGround

The issue with tiki is they want $5 for a can of bud light and $8 for a cup of sugar water with some sh*tty well liquor.

There is a reason why the si!thole called ABC is still open and thriving. Cheap booze!

Also, I heard at the last opening they were asking like $12-15 per mixed drink!!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Lighthouse doesn’t seem to have any problems filling the place.

Higher end restaurant...bit of a difference. But they still have to put out a good product. 30 years ago, the original Lighthouse was not only good...they were one of the very few places we could and did take out-of-town clients. Of course we put them up in the Solomons Holiday Inn...also the "only game in town" back then.

I have not yet been to the new Lighthouse...but I've heard it's as good as the old one was.

I have not yet been to the new Lighthouse...but I've heard it's as good as the old one was.

It's good, but I really prefer the service and food from the former. It was a touch of class back then, the way restaurants used to be. Their signature coffee-pour-from-above-the-head move always impressed.

I find the new place very loud inside.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It's good, but I really prefer the service and food from the former. It was a touch of class back then, the way restaurants used to be. Their signature coffee-pour-from-above-the-head move always impressed.

I find the new place very loud inside.

One of my favorite employees helped to build the "skipkack" bar in the original Lighthouse restaurant. That place was definitely the only "touch of class" in SOMD back then..although we won more than a few client's over by taking them to Frank's Oakwood Inn back then too.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
One of my favorite employees helped to build the "skipkack" bar in the original Lighthouse restaurant. That place was definitely the only "touch of class" in SOMD back then..although we won more than a few client's over by taking them to Frank's Oakwood Inn back then too.

Oakwood Lodge was a hidden gem and a restaurant I truly miss. Black Diamond Steak and Hand-battered Shrimp. :drool:

This Lighthouse Inn is very good but the old one had a lot more charm.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Oakwood Lodge was a hidden gem and a restaurant I truly miss. Black Diamond Steak and Hand-battered .

Frank and Jean will back me up on this..I was the one that "invented" their oyster medley main menu entre. I would order every one of their oyster starter options and call it a meal. They got the message. Good times...Uncle Andy at the end of the bar telling stories..Butch and Mike tending bar...Gary Rue playing and singing...

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Frank and Jean will back me up on this..I was the one that "invented" their oyster medley main menu entre. I would order every one of their oyster starter options and call it a meal. They got the message. Good times...Uncle Andy at the end of the bar telling stories..Butch and Mike tending bar...Gary Rue playing and singing...

I'll take your word on the arsters. Blech. But loved Jean's cheesecake. :yum:

We used to go there for dinner one night during the annual TRICODA Dart Tournaments with a bunch of folks. Great food and lots of laughs. :cheers:

MR47930

Higher end restaurant...bit of a difference. But they still have to put out a good product. 30 years ago, the original Lighthouse was not only good...they were one of the very few places we could and did take out-of-town clients. Of course we put them up in the Solomons Holiday Inn...also the "only game in town" back then.

The original was before my time as a citizen of SoMD. Heard nothing but good things though. I enjoy the new one, it’s one of maybe 5 or 6 businesses in SoMD that I really care for. Seems like I have to beg most to take my money.

FireBrand

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lighthouse doesn’t seem to have any problems filling the place. It’s a stones throw away from tiki. The issue with tiki is they want $5 for a can of bud light and $8 for a cup of sugar water with some sh*tty well liquor. Hopefully Grill Sergeants doesn’t close because that place is :snacks:
the grill sergeant is gone !

MR47930

the grill sergeant is gone !

Gone where? I see their Facebook page is still active so they're definitely still in business. Are they strictly a catering business now? :cds:
The best part of the tiki bar was getting some grub from them when the alcohol started to kick in.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Gone where? I see their Facebook page is still active so they're definitely still in business. Are they strictly a catering business now? :cds:
The best part of the tiki bar was getting some grub from them when the alcohol started to kick in.

There's a sushi place there now.