Time to put the DJmobile out to pasture

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You are talking about spending one heck of a chunk of money that will likely not give you the result you are hoping for.

Yeah :frown:

It's like spending big money to buy my grandmother a new heart for her 100th birthday. It's more for sentimental purposes than any practicality.

:lol: Mine are just babies by comparison at 55K and 5K. And I'm already thinking of trading up on the 2014 GMC truck.

Yeah :frown:

It's like spending big money to buy my grandmother a new heart for her 100th birthday. It's more for sentimental purposes than any practicality.

Ok, so do like Berts. Gut it and mount it on the top of the RV. You can still have it with you wherever you go!

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Agreed, once you reach a certain point, any possible money you put in is just increasing your debt in the vehicle, not increasing it's value. And I say that as a guy who owns three vehicles over 100K. Let it go "live on a farm" somehwere.

Every truck I've ever owned had 250k-300k when we parted way.

Didn't have any major issues with them until the end with the exception of one transmission replacement. ( it was one of the very early electronic transmissions )

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Ok, so do like Berts. Gut it and mount it on the top of the RV. You can still have it with you wherever you go!

:lmao: ...or cut off the front and make it a trailer.. like dis. That was my favorite pickup truck.... :sniffles:

rolling out 3.jpg

glhs837

Power with Control
My '91 Toyota SR5 has 167k, my '89 F-250 4x4 has 375k, and my '78 Bronco has a bit over 300K on it... Some of 'em you can keep around a throw an engine or two in, but they tend to be an older generation of vehicle: :yay:

Every truck I've ever owned had 250k-300k when we parted way.

Didn't have any major issues with them until the end with the exception of one transmission replacement. ( it was one of the very early electronic transmissions )

What works for us mechnical types isnt always applicable to the "normals". Heck, I bought a 150K engine to drop into the 180K 98 BMW :) BeaterMW is at 150K. Boys cast off 99 BMW is the baby at 125K.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
3 k for a quality rebuilt engine .....
2 k for a quality rebuilt trans .....

paint :shrug: who really cares

vs a 30 thousand dollar new vehicle ... [or more]

Took a very skilled buddy and I over 100 man-hours to swap out a blown 3.3 V6 in a Nissan Frontier 4x4. In-family job; did it mostly for free labor and the parts cost was around 3 grand total. I wouldn't touch another swap like that if you paid me the $100+ and hour that any shop would charge..

I admit I DID consider rebuilding the straight 6 in my 2000 Cherokee..before the transmission started acting funny, the heater core went out, and a strange noise started emanating from the right front wheel...

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Took a very skilled buddy and I over 100 man-hours to swap out a blown 3.3 V6 in a Nissan Frontier 4x4.

wtf ....

I guess I am spoiled with easy to work on 96 Ford Broncos, FSJ Grand Wagoneers .....
my Aviator does not look too bad, but I am getting to old to work in my own #### anymore

I admit I DID consider rebuilding the straight 6 in my 2000 Cherokee..before the transmission started acting funny, the heater core went out, and a strange noise started emanating from the right front wheel

seriously that is all cheap #### to fix compared to a 50k note .... what you probably lack is TIME

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
wtf ....

I guess I am spoiled with easy to work on 96 Ford Broncos, FSJ Grand Wagoneers .....
my Aviator does not look too bad, but I am getting to old to work in my own #### anymore

seriously that is all cheap #### to fix compared to a 50k note .... what you probably lack is TIME

Time is too valuable and a limited commodity. I have too many projects that are competing for it.

glhs837

Power with Control
Todays project. Well, it was yesterdays, but due to Amazon not getting the new pump ($130 for Bosch, vice $240 at the local guys store brand) not getting the new one here til tomorrow. Of course, the 2015 Jeep acted up two days back and is in the shop. Two other vehicles here, both stick, so I'm driving the wife around. :)

e46 fuel pump.jpg

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Your Misfortunes are, well unfortunate :razz: ... I'll stick to my cheap(er) used vehicles

Missus had her 2018 Rav4 back to the dealership twice to track down a battery drain that was leaving it dead if it sat more than 24-36 hours. Second time they really went after the problem with all sorts of current detecting stuff hooked up. Turned out the heater in the driver's seat was coming on randomly, even when vehicle was parked and shut down.

Not fixed yet...just disconnected the seat heater harness...

Missus had her 2018 Rav4 back to the dealership twice to track down a battery drain that was leaving it dead if it sat more than 24-36 hours. Second time they really went after the problem with all sorts of current detecting stuff hooked up. Turned out the heater in the driver's seat was coming on randomly, even when vehicle was parked and shut down.

Not fixed yet...just disconnected the seat heater harness...

The Rise of the Machines. They're just now starting to feel out their range and power.