Time to put the DJmobile out to pasture

glhs837

Power with Control
Your Misfortunes are, well unfortunate :razz: ... I'll stick to my cheap(er) used vehicles

Missus had her 2018 Rav4 back to the dealership twice to track down a battery drain that was leaving it dead if it sat more than 24-36 hours. Second time they really went after the problem with all sorts of current detecting stuff hooked up. Turned out the heater in the driver's seat was coming on randomly, even when vehicle was parked and shut down.

Not fixed yet...just disconnected the seat heater harness...

Gurps, thats why the rest of the fleet is cheap and old. $1500 2001 325, $1500 1999 323, $2000 1998 3238. This jeep is the wifes, since the last two new ones had been mine, it was her turn.

Hmmm, oddly enough, this recent acting up, which tripped six or seven codes, about four ETC related, one cam position sensor, and one U code that I cant identify. According to the dealership, they went away once they charged up the battery. Which gave no signs of not being fully charged, mind you. This is the third battery for this Jeep. All high quality AGMs. From three different "brands" although there's only one or two makers for these. This one is less than a year old. Guy mentioned they looked for parasitic drain, but couldn't find any. Told him I would be happy is the damn this would at least give some freakin indication that it had a problem. Factory battery in the 06 Charger lasted I think seven years. This thing, started acting up Wed morning on the wife on her way to work. Stumbling a bit, Service 4x4, Service ETC, Service Engine Start/Stop. All went away when she started it at lunch except a CEL. Came home, I started it up, pulled those codes. Shut it off, then back on, CEL was gone, codes still active. Wife mentions she just got a Health report in her email, Jeep says it's fine. :) Took a drive, it stumbled on me. Take it in the next morning, no CEL, no stumbles. Guy reads codes, says they will look at it later.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Gurps, thats why the rest of the fleet is cheap and old.

I can barely recall the last times my '78 Bronco gave me any problems. I do recall having the mag pickup in the distributor go flakey around 1993..and had a valve spring break on return 6-hour trip from my hunting grounds in VA around 1997. Oh..and the fuel pump died half way through Trail 4 in the now-closed Tellico ORV area near Murphy, NC...that was about 2002 as best I recall.

I like old. It's tough.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I like old. It's tough.

betty-white-yikes.jpg

Clem72

The interlocking discounts system is yet another shell game regarding what you can get with what. "$1000 Loyalty Discount*!!!!!!!!" (*Must be used on available delaer inventory, cannot be combined with any other offer,, can only be used by leftahnded albinos born with one testicle)

Thats where the Out the Door price thing comes in. Do NOt engage in that swamp of discounts, tell them to apply what they need to to get you your price. This avoids the whole tapped ina small room four hours while some mouth breather works a foursquare on you.

I have shopped out the door quotes for my last few vehicles. On more than one occasion they still trapped me for multiple hours. I mean seriously, I have a quote in hand and told you I will not buy anything additional or use your financing. Why do I need to wait 4 hours to complete the transaction.

I also had a dealer here get mad at me and tell me they couldn't honor the quote for my vehicle trade-in because the window had scratches from the wiper blade. Nevermind they wiped off, they are in there (just invisible now).

glhs837

Power with Control
I have shopped out the door quotes for my last few vehicles. On more than one occasion they still trapped me for multiple hours. I mean seriously, I have a quote in hand and told you I will not buy anything additional or use your financing. Why do I need to wait 4 hours to complete the transaction.

I also had a dealer here get mad at me and tell me they couldn't honor the quote for my vehicle trade-in because the window had scratches from the wiper blade. Nevermind they wiped off, they are in there (just invisible now).

Yeag, trade in's are a pain. How did they trap you? You have a price, you have the money, they have the vehicle what excuse was there? All three times, the longest part was the F&I guy who finalizes the deal and writes it up. "I understand, you have to make your pitch, but understand up front, none of it will convince me add any of it to this vehicle, so just keep it to the minimum required." The longest was the Neon in FL, the guy simply couldnt understand why I was passing on the Wheel Theft Protection. In Miami, maybe that makes sense :)

Gurps, thats why the rest of the fleet is cheap and old. $1500 2001 325, $1500 1999 323, $2000 1998 3238. This jeep is the wifes, since the last two new ones had been mine, it was her turn.

Hmmm, oddly enough, this recent acting up, which tripped six or seven codes, about four ETC related, one cam position sensor, and one U code that I cant identify. According to the dealership, they went away once they charged up the battery. Which gave no signs of not being fully charged, mind you. This is the third battery for this Jeep. All high quality AGMs. From three different "brands" although there's only one or two makers for these. This one is less than a year old. Guy mentioned they looked for parasitic drain, but couldn't find any. Told him I would be happy is the damn this would at least give some freakin indication that it had a problem. Factory battery in the 06 Charger lasted I think seven years. This thing, started acting up Wed morning on the wife on her way to work. Stumbling a bit, Service 4x4, Service ETC, Service Engine Start/Stop. All went away when she started it at lunch except a CEL. Came home, I started it up, pulled those codes. Shut it off, then back on, CEL was gone, codes still active. Wife mentions she just got a Health report in her email, Jeep says it's fine. :) Took a drive, it stumbled on me. Take it in the next morning, no CEL, no stumbles. Guy reads codes, says they will look at it later.

So, the dealership says they performed an "Adaptive Relearn", and they charged up the battery (new in March) and checked it for bad cells. Codes all gone, but it needs three drive cyles to ensure it's all good. We take it back on Noon on Sat after one, since they cant say when they will get the other two drive cycles. Each drive cycle needs you to get it up to operating temp, park it, then let it sit for 8 or more hours. Sat afternoon we take it down to Ridge, no issues. Sunday AM, we head up to Target. Get out, leaving wife behind and Jeep running for AC, when I close the door, it stall and dies. Well. Get stuff, restart it, in drive, foot on brake, dies again when AC is turned on..... E throttle is acting more like stick throttle, meaning limp mode. Make it to the Food Lion Parking lot, but it's not happy. Shut off, restart, it seems fine except for a CEL. Drop wife off at Wally, make it to Park Dodge.

Leave novel write up and key in the drop box. They say it's a crank sensor which will take three days to get. Gotta say the extended warranty is paying for itself.

glhs837

Power with Control
I like Jeeps, but this seems like a Lemon

Well, it's racked up over 75K since we got it summer of 2015. My big problem is that the damn thig doesnt communicate well. And I sorta get it, when we talk about what the nend user of the system wants to see/know vs what we think they need to know here at work, we get into that. Does the end user need to be able to dive deep into systems indications they most likely wont understand, and even if they could, are most likely not qualified to attempt a repair?

Just eats my soul that the damn thing can just up and die, then send a health report that says "Yep, I"m just fine, nothing to report here".

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Well, it's racked up over 75K since we got it summer of 2015. My big problem is that the damn thig doesnt communicate well. And I sorta get it, when we talk about what the nend user of the system wants to see/know vs what we think they need to know here at work, we get into that. Does the end user need to be able to dive deep into systems indications they most likely wont understand, and even if they could, are most likely not qualified to attempt a repair?

Just eats my soul that the damn thing can just up and die, then send a health report that says "Yep, I"m just fine, nothing to report here".

I have a pretty good OBDII diag system installed on a Toughbook; it's been very, very handy...especially for trapping the kinds of strange and intermittent problems like yours.

glhs837

Power with Control
I have a pretty good OBDII diag system installed on a Toughbook; it's been very, very handy...especially for trapping the kinds of strange and intermittent problems like yours.

For normal OBDII, I can get all the federally madated stuff with a cheapie bluetooth adapter and Torque, even the free version. Of course, maker specific stuff isnt that easy. All the codes it popped were readable except one, and that's a U prefix, which if I recall right means bus traffic. But if the damn thing pops 6 or 7 codes, it should at least say "Hey Lady, I gots problems, take me in. " Or maybe a "I'm tried, Boss, real tired" in the health email it sends. Same thing when it somply died in an intersection last fall, display went dark, gauges died, engine stopped. After slapping it in Park and hitting the start button, it acted like nothing was wrong, damn thing didnt even set a CEL. Pulled codes, nothing. On the dealership machine, it puked up 5-6 codes, but since they were all transmission related it didnt set any I could see.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
For normal OBDII, I can get all the federally madated stuff with a cheapie bluetooth adapter and Torque, even the free version. Of course, maker specific stuff isnt that easy. All the codes it popped were readable except one, and that's a U prefix, which if I recall right means bus traffic. But if the damn thing pops 6 or 7 codes, it should at least say "Hey Lady, I gots problems, take me in. " Or maybe a "I'm tried, Boss, real tired" in the health email it sends. Same thing when it somply died in an intersection last fall, display went dark, gauges died, engine stopped. After slapping it in Park and hitting the start button, it acted like nothing was wrong, damn thing didnt even set a CEL. Pulled codes, nothing. On the dealership machine, it puked up 5-6 codes, but since they were all transmission related it didnt set any I could see.

Sounds like you need to call Ghost Busters.....

glhs837

Power with Control
Sounds like you need to call Ghost Busters.....

Nah, he just needs a laptop and a 12 year old :) What's the common point failure item (or wire/pin) of all the codes?

No telling without on a canbus networked car like this without being able to see the bus traffic. There's not a common point in a harness. When it died completely, they diagnosed a bad shifter module, but I kept getting other unrelated indications that only went away when I swapped the battery. We used to see this sort of thing with the advent of digital weapons system test sets. Dirty power would cause all sorts of wackadoo indications, but never ones related to power. I suspect it's going to eventually go back to the power generation system. Recently, it started killing the heated or cooled seats when we hit the disable button for the Engine Start/Stop System. I suspect some form of load shedding is happening. But they have to follow thier process.