tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lisa8439

That buck or two doesn't mean squat to me but it does mean something to someone else, if nothing other than a "good job" recognition.

Exactly. I tip the bagger at Giant if they do a good job - and bonus if they interact with my kids and give them one of those Nick jr. coloring pages that they have at the checkout.
:lol:

Heck, I've even tipped people at retail 'big box' stores a few times - especially one lady that we always see... she makes my kids' smile and is always pleasant. I know places like that have a 'no tipping' rule so I don't want to give away where she works and what she does, but she is great - and I know that she doesn't make that much.. I'm sure the extra two dollars here and there help her out.

lisa8439

Any service deserves the recognition. @ least they r working. others just wait 4 that freebee.

I agree with Lance - even if they stink, we leave a dollar so that they know we aren't cheapskates and that they could have gotten more if they had been a little better.

There are so many people who sit around on their @ss and expect the government to give them a big fat tip for being lazy and ignorant. At least these people are trying to make an honest living...

lisa8439

No way! At places like Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, ice cream places, etc. their just standing behind a counter. Plus, they usually make more money per hour then the servers at restaurants anyway.

They do make more money than servers at restaurants - and that's why we tip servers much more than we tip the guy at Brusters. But honestly, they aren't making much, we all know that... if you can afford it (key word there - afford...) then why not leave a dollar now and then when you get really good service at those places?

If you can't afford to put a dollar in the tip jar then you probably shouldn't be going somewhere like Starbucks or Brusters anyway.

(Mama_Mia I am not attacking you personally - just using your quote to make a general statement)

Cowgirl

If you can't afford to put a dollar in the tip jar then you probably shouldn't be going somewhere like Starbucks or Brusters anyway.

And certainly not if everything is going to cost a dollar more. :rolleyes: I think that's a silly statement. Even if you *can* afford it, you don't *have* to tip. That's a personal decision.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I agree with Lance - even if they stink, we leave a dollar so that they know we aren't cheapskates and that they could have gotten more if they had been a little better. ...

:lol: God forbid some brain dead teenager working a minimum wage job thinks ill of me

rpexie

.:Georgia Peach:.
I was a server just out of highschool for a bit and while I certainly dont agree with the way the OP is going about the topic.. I will say that I treated everyone great and with friendly service but I once overhead a converstion at a table I served where the guy was paying the bill and the woman said:

"Hey, dont forget the tip!" at which point the man said, "I dont tip, they wait tables because thats what they get paid to do".

Which in GA at the time was 2.15/hr soooo I think some people have a small misconception. Servers do make an hourly wage but its extremely low.

BuddyLee

Football addict
you know what this is the worlds smallest violin playing just for the waitresses :wah:

Nice Guy Eddie: C'mon, throw in a buck!
Mr. Pink: Uh-uh, I don't tip.
Nice Guy Eddie: You don't tip?
Mr. Pink: Nah, I don't believe in it.
Nice Guy Eddie: You don't believe in tipping?
Mr. Blue: You know what these chicks make? They make ####.
Mr. Pink: Don't give me that. She don't make enough money that she can quit.
Nice Guy Eddie: I don't even know a ####ing Jew who'd have the balls to say that. Let me get this straight: you don't ever tip?
Mr. Pink: I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.
Mr. Blue: Hey, our girl was nice.
Mr. Pink: She was okay. She wasn't anything special.
Mr. Blue: What's special? Take you in the back and suck your d***?
Nice Guy Eddie: I'd go over twelve percent for that.:lmao:

Love this scene :lol:
:roflmao: Great film.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Some of you are so cheap, I swear. That buck or two doesn't mean squat to me but it does mean something to someone else, if nothing other than a "good job" recognition.
I'm FAR from cheap and a very generous tipper when earned. Some schmuck working behind a counter is not tip worthy IMO. They didn't take my drink order, get my drinks, take my appetizer order, bring my appetizer, take my entree order, bring my entree, keep my drinks filled, check on me etc.

Sometimes I'll leave change, but most of the time I don't. I picked up a pizza at a small restaurant the other day and there was a "Cooks' tips" jar. They get paid for a reason. Heck, I don't have a tip jar on my desk and I do customer service work.
:yeahthat:

No way! At places like Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, ice cream places, etc. their just standing behind a counter. Plus, they usually make more money per hour then the servers at restaurants anyway.

And certainly not if everything is going to cost a dollar more. :rolleyes: I think that's a silly statement. Even if you *can* afford it, you don't *have* to tip. That's a personal decision.

:lol: God forbid some brain dead teenager working a minimum wage job thinks ill of me
:lmao: :high5:

I can easily afford it. They didn't earn it. They're paid to be there serving you coffee/icecream. It takes them 2 minutes to serve you. See my response to Vrai.

blondie4512

I waited tables for a very short period of time, just for some extra money - a second job... For every pleasant person you have there is an a$$ waiting behind them that it really wouldn't matter if you did take them out back and blow them, they would never be satisfied... It's either over cooked or under cooked, they didn't want onions or they did. And I would say 18-24 are the worst! They are just plain cheap... Come in with there party of 10 order a bunch of apps send you back a hundred times for this and that and throw a couple bucks in change on the table... I'm honestly one of the nicest people I know, lol but waiting tables is something I will never do again... It really shows you how many rude people there are in the world and especially in this area...

ylexot

Super Genius
I'm FAR from cheap and a very generous tipper when earned. Some schmuck working behind a counter is not tip worthy IMO. They didn't take my drink order, get my drinks, take my appetizer order, bring my appetizer, take my entree order, bring my entree, keep my drinks filled, check on me etc.

:yeahthat: Plus, the waiter/waitress gets paid less than minimum wage because they also get tips. Somebody working behind a counter gets at least minimum wage.

Pete

Repete
I waited tables for a very short period of time, just for some extra money - a second job... For every pleasant person you have there is an a$$ waiting behind them that it really wouldn't matter if you did take them out back and blow them, they would never be satisfied... It's either over cooked or under cooked, they didn't want onions or they did. And I would say 18-24 are the worst! They are just plain cheap... Come in with there party of 10 order a bunch of apps send you back a hundred times for this and that and throw a couple bucks in change on the table... I'm honestly one of the nicest people I know, lol but waiting tables is something I will never do again... It really shows you how many rude people there are in the world and especially in this area...

I almost always tip 20%. If you took me out back between the appetiser and the arrival of the entree and blew me I am pretty sure I would bump that up to 50% or more. Unless you are scary.

LastSon

Man of Tomorrow
I really believe that every person at some point in their life should work in the service industry, you'll be amazed at how much humility and respect for other people you learn in such a short time. I think a lot of people who don't tip, or are disrespectful to servers could learn a lot if the shoe was on the other foot.

rpexie

.:Georgia Peach:.
I really believe that every person at some point in their life should work in the service industry, you'll be amazed at how much humility and respect for other people you learn in such a short time. I think a lot of people who don't tip, or are disrespectful to servers could learn a lot if the shoe was on the other foot.

I dealt with some crazies, thats for sure (and had some crazy stuff left on the table as a tip). Teaches you alot about people, and how some will behave in public!

Nucklesack

Or you end up an arrogan ass like the OP

BuddyLee

Football addict
does anyone know how much a server or bartender makes a hour????? $3.58... i think, dont really know cause i never get a check, i actually have to pay for taxes on my sales. So for all you that stiff me or give me the minimal tip...im actually paying to serve YOU!!!
YOU KNOW WHAT TIPS STAND FOR ???? TO INSURE PROPER SERVICE....MAYBE IF WE ALL KNEW THIS LIFE WOULD BE A LITTLE BETTER.

WE MAY MAKE 3 DOLLARS AN HOUR ...BUT WE ARE TAXED ON OUR SALES SO IF YOU DONTTIP US WE ARE ACTUALLY PAYING YOU TO SERVE YOU!!!!!
Perhaps you should get a job as a bus driver?

tom88

I almost always tip 20%. If you took me out back between the appetiser and the arrival of the entree and blew me I am pretty sure I would bump that up to 50% or more. Unless you are scary.

Then why would you go out back in the first place? :lmao:

tom88

I have never worked in a service industry job. I generally tip 20%. I have tipped as much as 50%. (once) I have left leaving a 5% tip, when the WAITSTAFF was rude, and disinterested. I would never leave nothing, as most waitstaff has to tip out. I don't blame problems in the kitchen on my waiter, but will leave less of a tip if the waiter isn't doing the things he needs to do.

I hate the tip jars. I get coffee at a place which has one, and I always feel obligated to tip, although the coffee is already over priced and they are doing nothing more than handing me my coffee.