To the jackasses

MDChick

Is it so hard for the cars behind to slow also? Saves gas and brakes to slow well in advance rather than hauling ass up to the light and braking. I happen to know pretty well how long the lights around here work. I play it accordingly. If you see me rolling along toward a green at about 30 you can go ahead and pass me. I'll bet I pass you before you can get through the intersection. Assuming to don't pull back into the lane I'm in and make me slow even more. Also in the summer it is really nice to keep the breeze coming. Plus your shoes/boots get hot after several stops at lights do I'd prefer not to put them down any more than necessary.

Gernerally I would agree with you. But around here that just seems to invite somebody stopped further back in the next lane over to jump in front of the slow-stopper at the last second, causing them to jam on the brakes. It's much safer to let them over during acceleration, if they actually have a reason to get over. That is, if bikers had the courtesy to let anyone over ever...

BernieP

Resident PIA
Is it so hard for the cars behind to slow also? Saves gas and brakes to slow well in advance rather than hauling ass up to the light and braking. I happen to know pretty well how long the lights around here work. I play it accordingly. If you see me rolling along toward a green at about 30 you can go ahead and pass me. I'll bet I pass you before you can get through the intersection. Assuming to don't pull back into the lane I'm in and make me slow even more. Also in the summer it is really nice to keep the breeze coming. Plus your shoes/boots get hot after several stops at lights do I'd prefer not to put them down any more than necessary.

There is a difference between slowing down and "coasting" to get the next light green - for while you're "coasting" to the green, I'm behind you trying to get into the left turn lane, only to have to sit through two cycles of the light because you and the other 6 people want to "slow down" and be able to coast through because you know the timing on the lights.
You should know then that the people who want to make a lfet, won't get the signal if they don't get there before the light starts to turn.
Goes for the losers that like to leave 10 car lengths at a light - I know, it's you piece of the road, you don't have to share it.

glhs837

Power with Control
There is a difference between slowing down and "coasting" to get the next light green - for while you're "coasting" to the green, I'm behind you trying to get into the left turn lane, only to have to sit through two cycles of the light because you and the other 6 people want to "slow down" and be able to coast through because you know the timing on the lights.
You should know then that the people who want to make a lfet, won't get the signal if they don't get there before the light starts to turn.
Goes for the losers that like to leave 10 car lengths at a light - I know, it's you piece of the road, you don't have to share it.

Does this happen often? Leaving car lengths is silly, I agree, coming back after lunch there was lady who left no kidding about 50 feet between her van and the stop line. Tell you what, I for one, will make an effort not to do a slow approach in the left lane. Generally not in that lane anyhow, on 235 it limits your bugout options a bit much

There's a couple of unmentioned factors in there, and I think the actual stat might be that older riders are making up a greater percentage of fatalities than they used to. Theres that whole "graying of America" thing, as the population bulge that is the Baby Boomers enter any given period of life, they immediately alter the stats for that period. More people in a given demo means you will see more of everything in that demo. Also, I think older riders are more likely to be riding tandem, and that might skew the stat a little.

Older Bikers Risk Greater Injuries in Crashes – AARP

Found this, says that older riders are more likely to suffer injuires, makes sense, I know I'm more brittle than I was at 25:)

What DR said, no point in sitting when you can be rolling. I can actually maintain a slow creep entering the gate most times, only having to put a foot down once or twice. But I dont now, nor have I ever split lanes. Not worth the payoff.

Larry, that guys an azz of the highest water. All it takes is one little kid holding a stuffed toy out the window, and "Jevbus" has ruined a life, some kids, and his own. You wanna do that, dont involve others.

I do this even if on 4 wheels or 2. Except for the foot down part.

Gernerally I would agree with you. But around here that just seems to invite somebody stopped further back in the next lane over to jump in front of the slow-stopper at the last second, causing them to jam on the brakes. It's much safer to let them over during acceleration, if they actually have a reason to get over. That is, if bikers had the courtesy to let anyone over ever...

I don't do that if I am in the left lane. If I'm in the left lane I am probably turning left too and I always let people over, they usually do the same for me if I have my signal on.

bohman

I tend to slow down well before a red light, for many of the same reasons that the guys on the bikes are. Better gas mileage, easier on the brakes, and it means I can leave the car in second or third as opposed to stopping and starting all over again from first (I drive a manual).

I've noticed that most of the people who throw a hissy fit about hurrying to get into the left turn lane, are the same people who are much too busy to use their left turn signal. When someone is smart enough/considerate enough to use the blinker, I try to make some room and allow them to make it through the light without waiting another cycle. With no blinker, I have no idea that they want to turn. I'm left to assume they're just another average dickhead that thinks tailgating will make traffic speed up, which is usually a safe assumption.

I have no idea whether that applies to you, just an observation. I get the same problem with people behind me on SB235 before Airport rd. I'm cruising in the slow lane, slowing down for the light which is inevitably red there, and somebody behind me is popping a blood vessel because they want to get to the right turn lane. Which I am unaware of because they don't use a blinker. :shrug:

BernieP

Resident PIA
Does this happen often? Leaving car lengths is silly, I agree, coming back after lunch there was lady who left no kidding about 50 feet between her van and the stop line. Tell you what, I for one, will make an effort not to do a slow approach in the left lane. Generally not in that lane anyhow, on 235 it limits your bugout options a bit much

Yes, when I can squeeze into the lane I see huge gaps, they're in no hurry because they are going to get a green light whether or not there is a vehicle there to trip the light - it's timed for the straight thru. But the turn lanes are different.
I see that a lot going NB in the evening.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Larry, that guys an azz of the highest water. All it takes is one little kid holding a stuffed toy out the window, and "Jevbus" has ruined a life, some kids, and his own. You wanna do that, dont involve others.

I can't decide if he is a sociopath or a psychopath. Either way, his absolute disregard for the well being of others is stunning and noteworthy.

However, his riding is freaking awesome...

BernieP

Resident PIA
I tend to slow down well before a red light, for many of the same reasons that the guys on the bikes are. Better gas mileage, easier on the brakes, and it means I can leave the car in second or third as opposed to stopping and starting all over again from first (I drive a manual).

I've noticed that most of the people who throw a hissy fit about hurrying to get into the left turn lane, are the same people who are much too busy to use their left turn signal. When someone is smart enough/considerate enough to use the blinker, I try to make some room and allow them to make it through the light without waiting another cycle. With no blinker, I have no idea that they want to turn. I'm left to assume they're just another average dickhead that thinks tailgating will make traffic speed up, which is usually a safe assumption.

I have no idea whether that applies to you, just an observation. I get the same problem with people behind me on SB235 before Airport rd. I'm cruising in the slow lane, slowing down for the light which is inevitably red there, and somebody behind me is popping a blood vessel because they want to get to the right turn lane. Which I am unaware of because they don't use a blinker. :shrug:

talk about typs (as in stereotypical) SoMD driver
So it's your decision who is allowed to do what on the road, you decide if you want to be a rude ass biatch or "let someone in" based on what, the type of car they are driving. Oh, let me guess, what football team flag they have flying.
I swear 80 % of the vehicles driving don't have rear view mirrors, don't have cruise control and lack headlights.

You sound like the asses come out of gate one who have to have the left most lane, and won't allow traffic to merge into your lane. Or in the morning have to be in the left most lane even at the expense of backing traffic up on 235, then get to the light and go to the right of the island - because you can.
Let me guess, you're the driver that speeds up when I put my signal on so I can't pull over.

mamatutu

mama to two
So much animosity about driving. Sheesh. Just let the stupids do their thing, and hang back. I have all the time in the world to not have an early funeral. What is a few seconds or minutes. I just let the nutters do their thing, and then I move on. I probably had a blue tint to my hair when I got my permit/license. I have never gotten a ticket. That says a lot for my philosophy of driving. Seriously, what is the hurry, or reason to make your blood pressure go up? :smile:

acommondisaster

When I was stationed in Hawaii, typical garb on a bike was t-shirt, shorts and flipflops (and cute helmet). Guy on a crotch rocket trying to outrun the cops one night didn't know that the gate (chain link fence) at the Arizona Memorial closed in the evenings and he tried ducking down that way and hit the fence. The EMT's said it was like a scene from a meat grinder.

C

czygvtwkr

This morning on GMR a cruizer went down the side walk to escape the traffic held up by gate 2, couldnt believe it was right in front of the Methodist church beside the post office.

bohman

talk about typs (as in stereotypical) SoMD driver
So it's your decision who is allowed to do what on the road, you decide if you want to be a rude ass biatch or "let someone in" based on what, the type of car they are driving. Oh, let me guess, what football team flag they have flying.
I swear 80 % of the vehicles driving don't have rear view mirrors, don't have cruise control and lack headlights.
You sound like the asses come out of gate one who have to have the left most lane, and won't allow traffic to merge into your lane. Or in the morning have to be in the left most lane even at the expense of backing traffic up on 235, then get to the light and go to the right of the island - because you can.
Let me guess, you're the driver that speeds up when I put my signal on so I can't pull over.

What a complete shock, you missed the point that I made, and even though I said my statement was only an observation and might not apply to you, you managed to be offended. So that's a pretty good indication that it DOES apply to you, after all.

The point was that if you would use your effing blinker, I would KNOW that you want over, and I'd let you in. Or I'd speed up so you can make that left turn on this cycle. Alas, that won't happen. At best, you'll turn on the blinker but crowd up behind me so close that I can't see it in my mirrors. All I see if that pissed off person, with no way to know why they're pissed.

Man, you want to talk about a typical SOMD driver? It's you, the person who turns on their blinker AFTER you needed to turn or change lanes. Learn to hit that switch BEFORE you need to get over, and maybe we can all lower our blood pressure on 235.

Restless

I hate motorcycles!

My cousin was killed on one Saturday night. He leaves behind a wife and two young kids, and many friends and relatives who will miss him so much. I am so angry with him (I know that's dumb) for riding one. He should have known better. We lost a young cousin back when we were teens when she was killed riding on her boyfriend's bike the very first time. It made a profound impact on me but, I guess, not on him. I'm just so upset because this didn't have to happen. It was completely preventable.

IMHO, you go ahead and ride that bike if you are young and single, or if you are older and your kids are grown. But please, if you have kids at home still, don't ride one! They need you then. Don't ruin their childhoods with a tragic accident.
I know one couple who both ride and have a severely handicapped daughter and another daughter around 13. What happens if you are both killed, dummies! Who takes care of the kids? Odd thing is, the dad lost his father in a motorcycle accident. You would think that would have made an impact.

I have had people tell me that if they are killed in an accident, then it was their time to go. I am reminded of a Bible verse when they say that about "not putting your God to a foolish test" or words to that effect. To me riding on a motorcycle among cars that are heavily protected, moving at a high speed, with just a helmet on is just asking for injury and death.

Sorry this is so long. I guess I need to vent and you were the lucky ones who had to endure my rant.

Be safe out there.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
IMHO, you go ahead and ride that bike if you are young and single, or if you are older and your kids are grown. But please, if you have kids at home still, don't ride one! They need you then. Don't ruin their childhoods with a tragic accident. .

I agree with this.

:buddies:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I agree with this.

I don't..

I'd agree with, reduce the risk as much as possible but still have fun..

Don't ride like an #######, you have KIDS..

It doesnt matter who is right or who is wrong, the driver of the car goes home, the righteious biker goes into a body bag.. YIELD to the bigger bumper.

Dress for the inevitable, dress for your kids, and your family.

I don't..

It doesnt matter who is right or who is wrong, the driver of the car goes home, the righteious biker goes into a body bag.. YIELD to the bigger bumper.

I do. Stuff happens. I realized this at some point and rode dirt only, more fun in SoCal and the desert anyway. Then when I finally got a decent job and got enough ins. to take care of them I took it up again.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I don't..

See. This makes no sense to me. 'Dress for the inevitable'.

Well, by your own reckoning, you WILL have a wreck. If I believed that, and I used to, there is no effing way I would ride and absolutely not if I had young kids.

You've made it this far and are WAY less likely to crash than if you weren't so...old, err, uh, experienced, at riding. However, you can't justify riding with Bubba and BG at home if you honestly believe your wreck is out there, still, waiting for you. Any day, any time.

The ONLY reason I ride is because I started meeting more and more people who'd never been down and had miles behind them. I used to buy the 'two types of bikers' thing; those who've been down and those who will. I know how vulnerable I am and I can think of any number of scenarios that would put me down but, the day I think it is inevitable is the day I sell the bike.