To the jackasses

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I do. Stuff happens. I realized this at some point and rode dirt only, more fun in SoCal and the desert anyway. Then when I finally got a decent job and got enough ins. to take care of them I took it up again.

The legend, Keith Code, says 'there is no good place on the street to have a wreck' and his message is clear; don't have one. Do as bob says and ride smart but, also, ride well, ride good'er. Practice. Take classes, train. Ride to NOT have a wreck and that doesn't just mean 'take it easy.

Sometimes THE solution is a whole bucket full of right wrist. Sometimes, THE solution is to #### 'n git, move through traffic, don't be a sitting duck, take the enormous advantage a bike has, maneuverability and...use it.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
See. This makes no sense to me. 'Dress for the inevitable'.

Well, by your own reckoning, you WILL have a wreck. If I believed that, and I used to, there is no effing way I would ride and absolutely not if I had young kids.

You've made it this far and are WAY less likely to crash than if you weren't so...old, err, uh, experienced, at riding. However, you can't justify riding with Bubba and BG at home if you honestly believe your wreck is out there, still, waiting for you. Any day, any time.

The ONLY reason I ride is because I started meeting more and more people who'd never been down and had miles behind them. I used to buy the 'two types of bikers' thing; those who've been down and those who will. I know how vulnerable I am and I can think of any number of scenarios that would put me down but, the day I think it is inevitable is the day I sell the bike.

:buddies:

Agree, to a point..

I've also had the ooposite experience where I've met people with 100's of thousands of miles on their bikes, years of riding without an incident, to read about them going down on an oil slicked exit ramp, or getting rear ended at a stop light.

The more time you spend on the road, the more miles you ride, the experience factor, and abilities may increase, and the chances of YOU making a mistake decrease, the chances of a single motorcycle accident decreases, but the probability of someone in a car doing something stupid (which they do all the time) in your vicinity increases.

Another reason for the positive speed differential. The less time you spend on the road, the less opportunity the cages and the deer have to get you.

So yeah, I put on some miles, and my opinion is, the more time on the road, the more miles you do, you're more likely to have an incident. The only thing in my power is to reduce the risks, and if it happens to reduce the possibility of serios injury.

SoMDGirl42

so I watched a jackass on his crotchrocket decide to pass 5 cars on the shoulder on St. Andrew's Church Road this morning. I was expecting to see a new organ donor. I was going the opposite direction, so I'm not sure if we have one or not, I couldn't see the whole outcome in my rear view mirror on that sharp turn. :coffee:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Agree, to a point..

I've also had the ooposite experience where I've met people with 100's of thousands of miles on their bikes, years of riding without an incident, to read about them going down on an oil slicked exit ramp, or getting rear ended at a stop light. Yup. That's why I say I am very aware of my vulnerability. It's very sobering how many long time riding skill guru's have died riding after HUGE miles.

The more time you spend on the road, the more miles you ride, the experience factor, and abilities may increase, and the chances of YOU making a mistake decrease, the chances of a single motorcycle accident decreases, but the probability of someone in a car doing something stupid (which they do all the time) in your vicinity increases. See, we differ here. To me, each and every ride, the meter is started over and there is NO more chance of an outside agent acting on you than any other typical ride BUT you do have that ever growing experience you mention WHICH does constantly reduce the likelihood of you getting yourself in a position where an outside agent can get you.

Another reason for the positive speed differential. The less time you spend on the road, the less opportunity the cages and the deer have to get you.
I have taken that one to heart since you told me that.

So yeah, I put on some miles, and my opinion is, the more time on the road, the more miles you do, you're more likely to have an incident. The only thing in my power is to reduce the risks, and if it happens to reduce the possibility of serios injury.

And that last is, to me, actively acting to REDUCE the increased likelihood.

But, still, because of the oil slick, the rear end, the Harley shop owner who, two years ago, had a freaking tree limb kill him on the Blue Ridge parkway, I'd still recommend against riding with young kids to care for.

bulldog

In the past two days I have had two instances of cagers coming very close to running me off the road. Once on GMR and the other on Chacellor's Run.
Both times the Jackasses were on their cell phones. The one on GMR swerved back into his lane after I honked at him. He over corrected and nearly went up and over the curb, but recorrected just in time, damnit.

Restless

In the past two days I have had two instances of cagers coming very close to running me off the road. Once on GMR and the other on Chacellor's Run.
Both times the Jackasses were on their cell phones. The one on GMR swerved back into his lane after I honked at him. He over corrected and nearly went up and over the curb, but recorrected just in time, damnit.

I feel stupid asking this, but what are cagers?

bulldog

It's a derogatory term snooty bikers use for car people.

Not always derogatory, but in this case, yes. They were both azzhats.

If in a conversation with someone and the subject comes up, I may say something like..."left the bike at home so I'm a cager today". I'm not at all snooty, ever.