Today's Dr Phil

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I've watched 5 minutes of it and have burst into tears. This mom is completely over the top in disciplining her child. Hot sause and cold showers for lying and getting into trouble at school. She is going off on her 7 year old and the poor kid is crying hysterically. I couldn't take watching it anymore but I'd love to see Dr Phil hand this mom her a$$.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Hmmmm, I hadn't thought of cold showers.....

Hot sauce in the mouth is not an over the top punishment for lying. I don't do it but I sure wouldn't get upset that someone else would.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I've watched 5 minutes of it and have burst into tears. This mom is completely over the top in disciplining her child. Hot sause and cold showers for lying and getting into trouble at school. She is going off on her 7 year old and the poor kid is crying hysterically. I couldn't take watching it anymore but I'd love to see Dr Phil hand this mom her a$$.

What kind of trouble?

Vince

Cold showers and hot sauce?? And you think this is excess punishment? :lol:

Don't think the hot sauce idea would have worked with me. Always liked those hot cherry peppers out of the garden since I was a kid. Only one punishment when we were kids. The strap across your butt. The punishment always fit the crime. And it wasn't done in excess. Dad was always fair. You could also take the alternate punishment of grounding with no TV. :yikes: Always took the strap. And with 3 boys, and we weren't angels, my father was more than fair.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I'm all for creative punishment. My point is that this mom is doing the same things over and over again and keeps getting the same result. Obviously she needs to try something else because what she's doing isn't working.

Background on the kid is that he's adopted from Russia with his twin brother. Mom felt a connection with the brother and not this kid but took him because they were a package deal. The twin brother is shy and seeks approval from the parents and this kid is independent and the dominant twin.

Not sure what trouble the kid got into at school because he was crying so hard, I couldn't understand what he was saying. Whatever it was, the teacher told him to stop and he didn't. I agree that he needed to be punished for acting up at school and not listening to his teacher but apparently the hot sause and cold shower isn't enough of a deterrent to make him not act up.

Last year my 6 yr old got into trouble a few times at school for various reason ranging from not stopping talking when the teacher asked him to pushing a kid over backwards in the lunchroom and causing a knot on his head. My son's punishment fit each crime and this year, he's a different kid. He knows what will happen if he gets into trouble and he's modified his behavior. This kid on Dr Phil knows the punishment he will receive and he still does it. That says a lot on this mom's method of obedience for this kid. It's not working.

lovinmaryland

OMG I would make you cry then I am a horrible mother :bawl: I give my kids hot sauce if they say bad words.

No cold shower though... that is interesting.

P.S.A. If you really wanna piss your kids off, if they wont stop arguing and fighting with each other... you set them on the couch and make them hold hands for 10 minutes :smile:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Cold showers and hot sauce?? And you think this is excess punishment? :lol:

Don't think the hot sauce idea would have worked with me. Always liked those hot cherry peppers out of the garden since I was a kid. Only one punishment when we were kids. The strap across your butt. The punishment always fit the crime. And it wasn't done in excess. Dad was always fair. You could also take the alternate punishment of grounding with no TV. :yikes: Always took the strap. And with 3 boys, and we weren't angels, my father was more than fair.

We've used the belt a few times and that seemed to get our point across. Now the threat of the belt gets the needed behavior from our boys, especially from me because they know Mom doesn't play around. :lol:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
OMG I would make you cry then I am a horrible mother :bawl: I give my kids hot sauce if they say bad words.

P.S.A. If you really wanna piss your kids off, if they wont stop arguing and fighting with each other... you set them on the couch and make them hold hands for 10 minutes :smile:

I don't have a problem with the hot sause or cold showers. My point is that it's not working yet she keeps doing it, thinking she'd get a different result. It was more of a :banghead: reaction more than a "what a mean mom" reaction.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

:lmao:

When my sister and I would fist fight, Mom would kick us out of the house. That took all the fun out of it and we would stop. :lol:

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
No one ever died from "a little bit of soap"... Ask Ralphie.

Attachments

• RalphieSoap.jpg
    RalphieSoap.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 92

Roberta

OLD WISE ONE
I'm all for creative punishment. My point is that this mom is doing the same things over and over again and keeps getting the same result. Obviously she needs to try something else because what she's doing isn't working.

Background on the kid is that he's adopted from Russia with his twin brother. Mom felt a connection with the brother and not this kid but took him because they were a package deal. The twin brother is shy and seeks approval from the parents and this kid is independent and the dominant twin.

Not sure what trouble the kid got into at school because he was crying so hard, I couldn't understand what he was saying. Whatever it was, the teacher told him to stop and he didn't. I agree that he needed to be punished for acting up at school and not listening to his teacher but apparently the hot sause and cold shower isn't enough of a deterrent to make him not act up.

Last year my 6 yr old got into trouble a few times at school for various reason ranging from not stopping talking when the teacher asked him to pushing a kid over backwards in the lunchroom and causing a knot on his head. My son's punishment fit each crime and this year, he's a different kid. He knows what will happen if he gets into trouble and he's modified his behavior. This kid on Dr Phil knows the punishment he will receive and he still does it. That says a lot on this mom's method of obedience for this kid. It's not working.

And you got all of that from five minutes and while the kids was crying hysterically?? OK

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We've used the belt a few times and that seemed to get our point across. Now the threat of the belt gets the needed behavior from our boys, especially from me because they know Mom doesn't play around. :lol:

You beat your children with a belt, yet think hot sauce and cold showers are over the top?

Alrighty then.