Toddlers in Restaurants

Cowgirl

I don't know the law that well, but I'm pretty sure if you have cockroaches in your home, the state can't "shut you down", but if you have them in your restaurant, they can.

I think the operative portion is "public" health. I would bet on any day, my swimming pool is below code for health reasons. My garage would fail a safety inspection, and my downstairs shower stall would probably fail a test for mold.

On the other hand, I don't charge money for its use by the public.

And don't get me started on seatbelts. That one has never made a lick of sense to me.

Since we leave karma anymore, I just wanted to tell you here that I like the way you converse/debate/argue/whatever. Even if I might not agree with you (but I do agree with you here), you can effectively communicate your point without making me want to get defensive or irritated. :smile:

SamSpade

Since we leave karma anymore, I just wanted to tell you here that I like the way you converse/debate/argue/whatever. Even if I might not agree with you (but I do agree with you here), you can effectively communicate your point without making me want to get defensive or irritated. :smile:

That's kind of you, although I have been known to be a jerk about stuff from time to time. And I'm often a bit of a pompous azz IRL.

But not usually in the news and political forums, which is where I tend to hang out.

It has a lot to do with why I discuss controversial issues. To my knowledge, people "argue" for a handful of reasons - to 'win' by any means; to intimidate others; to persuade; to prove your side is "right"; to get the other guy to 'blink' or to just speak your peace. I tend to go for "persuade" and the last one (when I know I won't have much support or chance of persuasion).

Some years ago someone pointed out to me that never, ever, ever in the history of mankind has one side argued and suddenly stood straight up in a torrent of logic and deduction and stated "Oh My Gosh! I've Been Wrong ALL This Time! What Was I Thinking?". Which is funny, because if you listen to people argue, you get the impression that that is their eventual goal. This same person told me if you want to get a child to give up their toy, you'll have more luck presenting them with a better toy than taking away the only one they have - hence, if you argue calmly and give your opponent a face-saving way of agreeing with you, it will work a lot better than "you're wrong you lying scumbag!". People will fight to protect their ego, even when they know they're wrong.

What I LIKE about DJ and others on here - a few others - is they really are willing to change their minds about things. I know, because I've changed DJ's mind on a few things, and DJ and others have changed Ken King's mind on a few things (and that's a lot harder than it sounds).

I do occasionally drop in on more hostile forums, but I rarely say more than a hello and an innocuous joke, because on some of them, they're all having a circle jerk over how awful the (pick one : Republicans, Bush administration, conservatives, radio talk show hosts, religious people, evangelicals) are and since I write to persuade or comment, it falls on deaf ears.

lilmshollywood

But nobody was being forced to patronize an establishment where smoking was permitted. There were numerous non-smoking restaurants and bars where these folks could go and enjoy.

Oh come on - get into it :lol:

Please tell me ONE bar in St Marys or Solomons that was smoke free before the ban?
And the main reason that the ban went into effect was for the health of the bar tenders and waitresses. They are there most of the week, it really wasnt for the weekend party goer, although I am not complaining!!:buddies:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Please tell me ONE bar in St Marys or Solomons that was smoke free before the ban?
And the main reason that the ban went into effect was for the health of the bar tenders and waitresses. They are there most of the week, it really wasnt for the weekend party goer, although I am not complaining!!:buddies:

Just one? The Tides. But I have another...the bar at the back of CD Cafe. Need more? Let us know, because we've done this before.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life

I can't think of a bar, however; iHop was somewhat smoke-free. I believe on Sunday's up until/after a certain time.

I went out this past weekend for the first time since the smoking ban. What a relief!! I was not irritated by the smoke, which usually makes me want to go home early. When hubby and me got into our vehicle to go home, I didn't smell like an ashtray. I didn't have to rush home to shower the funk off me. I can't complain and I actually enjoyed going out for the first time in a LONG time.

wineo

loving life

Cafe D' Artist in Leon., DiGiovonni's in Solomons, Spinnikers in Ridge, I could keep going.:buddies:

barncat

It is amazing how many perfect little angels we have on the forums :angel:. Mine is an angel, but I'll be the first one to admit my grand daughter is hell on wheels. I took her to Cheeseburgers once. NEVER AGAIN! I was mortified with her behavior. Even though her mother was there (and made the issues worse mind you) I will apolize to every one who was made to bear witness to that night.

For now on, I'll stick with taking her to McD's or burger king (drive thru :killingme). I will not subject innocent bystanders to that again. YW!

I took my angel to IHOP for breaskfast Sunday. It was very enjoyable.

Mine's pretty bad, I'm willing to admit it. Sometimes she's a perfect angle and is wonderful to take out, other times she has a screaming fit and starts throwing things and I give her a good whack to get her to settle down. I'm not completely horrible, I let her cry for a minute or two and then tell her I still love her but she can't behave that way. She started a fit in Target the other day and started throwing clothes out of the cart. Normally I spank her butt, but I have to whack her really good to get through the jeans and diaper and I was trying to get her to sit on her butt anyway, so her little cheek was handy so she got a little whack on her cheek. She had a good cry for a minute, consoled that she was still loved and then was pleasant the rest of the day. I survived getting spanked and smacked as a child, I even have respect for authority and the law, know right from wrong and I have morals. I want my child to have the same and I'm not afraid to step in and let her know her behavior is unacceptable and correct her.

And just to let you know, people do stare when a child misbehaves and they stare when you correct the child. Doesn't bother me one bit. If they have a better way of dealing with the little monster when she's having a fit, have at it. I know sometimes she has a breakdown because she's tired or hungry, I'm not a complete idiot and I don't correct her then, I remove her from the situation so she can nap or get her a snack if that's what she needs.

As far as keeping stuff up high, I keep the normal under the kitchen sink crap on the top shelf in the pantry. We have the space and I don't want to drill or tape crap onto my new cabinets. She has her bib drawer she's allowed to loot but normally she plays in her own kitchen.

camily

Peace
Lots of restaurants were smoke free already. To say they did it for the workers health is a bunch of crap. You can't tell me a bartender or server didn't expect and accept that they will be working in a smokey environment. Ever stepped out the back door of a restauant? Most everyserver in there smokes. Sad to say, but one of the first things yoiu learn when you start at a new restaurant is who has the drugs and who smokes. Trust me. We watch each others tables so we can go smoke. Funny thing, you can't smoke but they can. :lol:

camily

Peace
Celie can act like a complete brat sometimes. My other two are not like that. With her kidney issues she has been babied and spoiled ALOT. Mot just by me and her dad but by family, friends etc. Even when I try to stop it, my mom always gives her what she wants. I hear her saying "Come here, Grammy will help you" etc. Once in the mall she had a major fit in the food court because she wanted her toy and wouldn't eat her food. I took the toy away and she went off. I spanked her but she continued. I ignored it. Just kept talking to my friends and their kids. Letting her know this behavior won't get any attention. She eventually learned the lesson. BUT, perfect mom at the party was clearly appauled, in her snowflake sweater, khakis, loafers, and Bob cut with bangs. My son even looked at her and said "Oh my gosh mom, that lady is like, the complete opposite of you." :lol: Her son, in a bowl cut and goofy a$$ overalls was no angel however. My son in a big John Cena shirt, Tims, and his long hair, Celie in black stretch pants (baggy on her though), a skirt, and some shirt. She picked out her outfit so I'm sure you guys can guess what it looked like. I was clearly beneath her in her eyes.
I also accidently dropped the "F" bomb (not around the kids). I'm usually good about not doing that but I had road rage on the way in and was venting. I think I went :offtopic:

poster

I have a toddler and a 6 year old. I only take them to fast food, CiCi's and Nicholettis. I was in Ruby Tuesday's last week with girlfriends(kids were home with Daddy) and in comes a couple with 2 under 4 years old who screamed, threw food all over the floor under them, knocked over the parents drinks...etc....you get the picture.
Mom and Dad just let them go and continued to eat.
When they left the waitress said most customers really don't like to have their visit ruined by unruly rugrats.
Now I blame Mom and Dad not the children.
Do you take your little ones into restaurants?

Mom and Dad at fault :eyebrow: imagine dinner at home. More than likely they're not sitting at the table together for meals.

We took ours everywhere. I always carried a bag style purse with a small pack of crayons, paper, small game of some kind and hand wipes.
I've finally been able to carry a real purse in the last year :cartwheel

caramelalb

Children act in public the way they are taught at home. We have neighbors whose children act like wild animals when they eat. They are allowed to stand on the kitchen table, fling food all over the room. When they invite us over we never wear good clothes because we always leave with some food on us. They are 3 and 1 and neither one uses silverware, they eat with their hands.It's really a shame because as they get older those habits are really going to be hard to break.

terbear1225

Children act in public the way they are taught at home. We have neighbors whose children act like wild animals when they eat. They are allowed to stand on the kitchen table, fling food all over the room. When they invite us over we never wear good clothes because we always leave with some food on us. They are 3 and 1 and neither one uses silverware, they eat with their hands.It's really a shame because as they get older those habits are really going to be hard to break.

you are a much more tolerant neighbor than I am. I wouldn't go back after the first time (or maybe the second) that behavior like that was allowed, especiall with guests over.

Habits like that are hard to break. My child in school is now having all the sllep overs that come with elementary school couple of the kids in class are not welcomed at these because of the rude way they eat and the messes they make when they are at sleepovers.
It takes only one visit to their home to see where they learn this. They live in pig styes! I won't let my child sleep over in the filth. I feel bad for the kids but I need to protect my child .

mommato3

Hi . We have 3 kids, 5 years old, 22 months old and 7 weeks old. We eat in restaurants very often and my children for the most part behave. They can be a bit louder if we go to Berts because the atmosphere is louder. But if we are at someplace like Applebees, they will SIT DOWN and behave or off to the bathroom we go. When they misbehave, we don't go out for awhile.

Last week we were in Applebees (in La Plata) and a woman was dining alone with her 2 kids, probably 4 and 5 years old. After the kids finished eating, they were literally running laps around the entire restaurant and one of them was climbing up on a chair and flipping over the half wall separating the 2 sections. I almost fell out of the chair! The mom said absolutely nothing to these kids. i don't understand that at all!!!

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
you are a much more tolerant neighbor than I am. I wouldn't go back after the first time (or maybe the second) that behavior like that was allowed, especiall with guests over.

Me, neither! I have no use for that kind of crap! If parents let the kids behave like savages at the table, I'd lose my appetite, anyway.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Hi . We have 3 kids, 5 years old, 22 months old and 7 weeks old. We eat in restaurants very often and my children for the most part behave. They can be a bit louder if we go to Berts because the atmosphere is louder. But if we are at someplace like Applebees, they will SIT DOWN and behave or off to the bathroom we go. When they misbehave, we don't go out for awhile.

Last week we were in Applebees (in La Plata) and a woman was dining alone with her 2 kids, probably 4 and 5 years old. After the kids finished eating, they were literally running laps around the entire restaurant and one of them was climbing up on a chair and flipping over the half wall separating the 2 sections. I almost fell out of the chair! The mom said absolutely nothing to these kids. i don't understand that at all!!!

The manager should have come and asked her to leave & take her heathens out of there!