towing vehicles

Eventer29

I know most people use a truck to pull their horse trailers. I am wondering what SUvs could also do some hauling. I have a 3 horse slant with dressing room aluminum bumper pull. I am sort of looking for something that could pull this trailer. I would be using it maybe once a month mainly going from our farm in Prince Frederick to PGEC. I know some vans and vehicles like the Chevy suburban can pull a 2 horse, but dont know their limitations.
I will be vehicle shopping soon and I know that most sales peoples at dealerships dont know a whole lot about hauling horses. At least as far as how much a loaded trailer weighs and what each vehicle can handle. This has at least been my experience at the local dealerships.
I am pretty ignorant as far as vehicles go. I know how to drive one but thats about it lol. Educate me!

Anyone got anything used for sale? I am def looking at used vehicles preferably under $3000.

Magnum

Should be Huntin
You can get a 3/4 ton Suburban. With one of those stabilizing hitches you shouldn't have any problems.

I've towed cars on trailers in my 1/2 ton Suburban through the WV mountains and didn't have any problems

mingiz

Horse Poor
Got this from another site I go to a lot for info

Generally speaking, the heavier and more rugged the tow vehicle, the more stable the tow vehicle will be. Generally speaking, the longer the tow vehicle's wheelbase, the more stable the tow vehicle will be. It is disputed whether a tow vehicle with an IRS, is less stable while towing than one with a solid rear axle.

The towing issue isn't as much about power, as it is the ability of the towing vehicle to always be in control of the towed vehicle. A lighter weight tow vehicle, under the right conditions, can end up being uncontrollably pushed in a maneuver called "the tail wagging the dog". It is a dangerous event, which is difficult to control and from which to recover.

Some people would be content with pulling with a mini Ute, others would only consider a sports truck. Most owners are somewhere in between. Many times, the loaded trailer weight will exceed the towing vehicle's weight. The towing vehicle, necessarily, has to be robust enough to handle the extra weight without a mechanical failure or endangering its inhabitants.

The proper loading, mechanical conditions, and total weights are all considered by the towing vehicle's manufacturer. Use his specifications to determine the appropriate capabilities of his equipment. It takes some research to determine what you want and what you need. A general rule of thumb is to buy a little larger than your requirements, but not to go under. It is a large responsibility to be in charge of both your family's and pets' welfare, as well as everyone around you, whenever you take to the road.

Basically you need to know how much your trailer weighs loaded. Then find a vehicle that can handle that much weight. Most important thing is if you buy for a tow vehicle get what will handle your trailer ....will it stop it....I'd be leary about an suv. Unless it can and is set up to handle a load behind it.

Magnum

Should be Huntin
As far as stopping.... If a brake controller is setup right the trailer will do 90% of the stopping

fredsaid2

I've found a full size SUV equivalent to a 150/1500 can tow a 2 hr bumper pull. My experience has been generally flat roads, 1-2 hours from home. Most would advise using a weight distribution hitch. For longer trips or less flat roads I'd rather a 250/2500 vehicle. Hauling more than 2 horses would definitely warrant the 250/2500.

The Scheve's wrote the book on trailers, Horse Trailer Book - Buying Guide and they have an online article to give you the basics on choosing a tow vehicle, Towing Horses - Learn the Proper Way .

Sparks

I think a large suv ( suburban/tahoe) could pull your 3 hrs but it's not ideal. I'd try and find an older F250/2500 truck. Wheel base, gear ratio, gvw are important.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I think a large suv ( suburban/tahoe) could pull your 3 hrs but it's not ideal. I'd try and find an older F250/2500 truck. Wheel base, gear ratio, gvw are important.

In the thread header:

"Towing Vehicles"
"By Sparks"

Just made me chuckle.....

Last edited:

yankee44

Lexington Park Ford has a used 2007 F-250 crew cab Power Stroke Diesel with the tow comand system (built in trailor brake and trans cooler) with 33 thousand miles on their used car lot. I don't know how much they are asking for it. This truck used to be mine and was very well taken care of and matained.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
I have seen large SUV's tow 2 horse bumper pulls with no issues. I wouldn't pull a 3 horse with one. As Sparks said look for an older F250/350. It doesn't have to be brand new.

Eventer29

I am def looking used and not afraid of something a little older though I've already had a 85 chevy and would stay away from something that old. A friend's chevy or GMC 1500 pulls the trailer fine, no issues stopping or with control with the equaliser (sp?) hitch/sway bars. My sister is looking for a 3500 chevy to pull our heavier 4 horse trailer with. I am just looking for something i could occasionally pull the 3 horse with. I would likely only be hauling 2 horses and no farther than PGEC. If I can find something affordable in a 2500 that would be great. I am looking around checking out used truck prices, not seriously shopping yet. Not showing this year so I can save up some money.
Thanks for the info.

appaholic

Ofcourse some of us give own meaning to "LOADED"! I had a 2hBP w/4+ drrm pulled w/ Ford Expedition with stablizer bars and I always felt like the little engine that could NOT - especially in the mountains! My advice is stick with a truck, IMO they haul better.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Ofcourse some of us give own meaning to "LOADED"! I had a 2hBP w/4+ drrm pulled w/ Ford Expedition with stablizer bars and I always felt like the little engine that could NOT - especially in the mountains! My advice is stick with a truck, IMO they haul better.
:yay: i agree. If the trailer outweighs the towing vehicle, the trailer will push the vehicle, and it will sway, even with a stabilizer bar. Been there done that. No more.

We have all three, an F150, 250 and a 350. I can 'sort of' feel 3 or 4 horses in the F250, but in the F350 have no idea they're back there.

Another caveat...i wouldn't pull a gooseneck with anything other than a dualie. I like having that extra tire should one blow under the goosneck. Oh and NO to a short bed if you're gonna use a g/n. You need the extra wheelbase and bed space.

Last edited:

Cowgirl

One thing to remember, do you own research and DON'T trust salesmen at dealerships. They will tell you anything to sell a vehicle. Also, make sure the tires on the vehicle are rated for hauling what you want to haul.

And I think the dually and gooseneck thing is personal preference. Tons of people tow goosenecks with regular trucks.

bcp

In My Opinion
One thing to remember, do you own research and DON'T trust salesmen at dealerships. They will tell you anything to sell a vehicle. Also, make sure the tires on the vehicle are rated for hauling what you want to haul.

And I think the dually and gooseneck thing is personal preference. Tons of people tow goosenecks with regular trucks.
once you tow with a dually you will never go back to a SRW.
the difference is incredible.

mingiz

Horse Poor
:yay: i agree. If the trailer outweighs the towing vehicle, the trailer will push the vehicle, and it will sway, even with a stabilizer bar. Been there done that. No more.

We have all three, an F150, 250 and a 350. I can 'sort of' feel 3 or 4 horses in the F250, but in the F350 have no idea they're back there.

Another caveat...i wouldn't pull a gooseneck with anything other than a dualie. I like having that extra tire should one blow under the goosneck. Oh and NO to a short bed if you're gonna use a g/n. You need the extra wheelbase and bed space.

The F250 and 350 are basically the same truck. The only difference is the dually can haul more weight. I don't even know my 3h 8ftlq is back there when pulling with my F250. Plus I have a short bed and I can put my trailer any where you can yours without interference, plus i carry a 65 gal water tank, a generator, fuel and hay in the back. I have no problems. I could of paid more $ for the dually + 8ft bed but I can't see wasting the money when the F250 I have does the job just as well for what I use it for. jmo
:buddies:

mingiz

Horse Poor

Yea they will tell you it will pull it. But will it stop it or will the trans handle it. A few years ago I was going to buy a 3h w/lq and asked the salesman if my Ram 1500 would pull it and he was like yea it will handle it ok. Well what a lie and I knew it. I didn't buy the trailer...Your tires should be atleast a load range of E. :popcorn:

mingiz

Horse Poor

Yeap I had a F250 Crew with a 5.4l gas motor and a 3h sl 4ftdr trailer and it would pull the hell out of it on the flat but the first time I took it to the mountains it was screamming. I thought I was going to blow it up before I got off that hill. Came home traded it on the F250 diesel. I'll never go back to a gas engine again, unless I give up horses.....NOT:killingme