Tractor ideas?

Wait4It..boom

:yahoo: We're just about to close on our new farm (hopefully this week or next, at the latest). BUT- we need a tractor and have no clue what to buy. The "money well" is almost dry (I've forgotten how expensive house buying can be!) :nomoney:
We're wracking our brains to figure out how we're gonna cut the grass inexpensively this summer so we can figure out what we truly need before just buying something for the sake of buying :jameo:
We thought of the idea to "lease" a tractor for this season. We've got about 8-9 acres. Know anyone that would want to lease an extra tractor in the Prince Frederick area?

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
:yahoo: We're just about to close on our new farm (hopefully this week or next, at the latest). BUT- we need a tractor and have no clue what to buy. The "money well" is almost dry (I've forgotten how expensive house buying can be!) :nomoney:
We're wracking our brains to figure out how we're gonna cut the grass inexpensively this summer so we can figure out what we truly need before just buying something for the sake of buying :jameo:
We thought of the idea to "lease" a tractor for this season. We've got about 8-9 acres. Know anyone that would want to lease an extra tractor in the Prince Frederick area?

John Deere has a good line of small utility tractors.. perfect for cutting the grrass AND using for the farm.

We have the 2305 with a Front Loader and a 62 inch mowing deck.. maybe a little more tractor than we need, but it's AWESOME! Deck comes off in about 5 minutes, the Front Loader comes off and on in about 30 seconds.

FrmGrl

Get some!
I have a Massey Ferguson and I love it. Far less expensive than a Deere. Easy to operate. We have ten acres and it works great. Even I can switch out the implements, plus it has a reverse pedal that makes backing up very easy. We have a front loader, an auger for putting in fence posts, a large mower and a box blade. All of that came to less than a Deere with nothing. Its a 1540 and just the right size for a small farm. Dont get me wrong, Deere's are great, I just think they are overpriced.

mingiz

Horse Poor
I agree with FrmGrl the Deere's are over priced. If I was in the marlet for a mid size tractor it would be a Massey. I have a old Deere but can't attach 3pt equipment on it. I do have a disc,blade.bucket,bush hog, bottom plow, harrow and packer. Just wish I could hook up an auger...It depends on what your going to use the tractor for as too how big a tractor and how many attachments you'll need. I would look for a used one first. Good luck in your search.

fredsaid2

Check the classifieds here. Sometimes there are deals. Be prepared for sticker shock even used, they hold their value. I got by last year w/ a riding lawnmower. It took forever but got the job done.

DQ2B

We really like Kubota. Just got our L series and my God, it's like cruise control compared to the old Ford we have.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Well, my big guys (horses) will volunteer thier grass eating skills for you, but if that's not good enough I third the vote for Massey and second the vote for Kubota. I've also used Holland, but I'mnot sure they have a line of smaller tractors.

BeenSpur'd

I love her wild,wild hair
My cousin has always had Massey's and never any problems except minor things. I have a new John Deere 3 cylinder diesel and it's the nicest tractor I've owned. It was not a bad price and came with a bucket. I have a bush hog, auger, disc, plow and landscaping rake for attachments. The bucket comes off easily but I haven't taken it off myself, afraid I won't remember how to get it back on and I use it almost daily. Right now there are lots of used tractors out there for a steal. Just make sure you get enough horse power to do what you need to do. For your size farm I recommend around 28-30, more if you are going to plow up a lot of acreage. I also recommend talking to the John Deer dealer, they have great deals on financed tractors and low monthly payments. That is how I got mine.

river rat

BUCKING GOAT
I have a MASSEY and love it.
I got it used and it has no issues. Paid around 5000.00 for the tractor, tiller, cultivator.

There is a used dealer in Brandywine named Jack Yerkie. I have had no problems with him and he is always there to answer any questions. A very patient man too, might I add.

It is a compact tractor and a true workhorse. Good Luck.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I agree with FrmGrl the Deere's are over priced. If I was in the marlet for a mid size tractor it would be a Massey. I have a old Deere but can't attach 3pt equipment on it. I do have a disc,blade.bucket,bush hog, bottom plow, harrow and packer. Just wish I could hook up an auger...It depends on what your going to use the tractor for as too how big a tractor and how many attachments you'll need. I would look for a used one first. Good luck in your search.

Mingiz.. go to Carroll's and get the iMatch (or you can get a similar piece at TSC for much less.. At that point you just back into the implement and attach.. no adjusting, no arms to deal with.

And I need to level my field.. can I borrow some of your toys??

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I have a Massey Ferguson and I love it. Far less expensive than a Deere. Easy to operate. We have ten acres and it works great. Even I can switch out the implements, plus it has a reverse pedal that makes backing up very easy. We have a front loader, an auger for putting in fence posts, a large mower and a box blade. All of that came to less than a Deere with nothing. Its a 1540 and just the right size for a small farm. Dont get me wrong, Deere's are great, I just think they are overpriced.

I found ONE price online for the MF1523, the closest model to the JD 2305, and they are both $13900.

I take that back.. the JD is $13900 with bucket and mower deck.. the MF doesn't come with a mower deck.

I don't see the price savings.. am I missing something?

Wait4It..boom

All of those attachments are exactly what we're looking for. Thankfully all the fencing is there, we just need to fix a couple of boards. We've been looking in somd classifieds and sticker shock is right! With the thought of a higher mortgage and until we know we have renters for our current home, I'm very hesitant to add another payment (I'm just neurotically cautious).

Wait4It..boom

Well, my big guys (horses) will volunteer thier grass eating skills for you, but if that's not good enough I third the vote for Massey and second the vote for Kubota. I've also used Holland, but I'mnot sure they have a line of smaller tractors.
Think the horses can eat enough to keep the grass down without having to mow it continuously??

Cowgirl

With the thought of a higher mortgage and until we know we have renters for our current home, I'm very hesitant to add another payment (I'm just neurotically cautious).

You may just want to wait and see how you get along without a tractor. It's more work, but you'll save a ton of money.

FrmGrl

Get some!
I found ONE price online for the MF1523, the closest model to the JD 2305, and they are both $13900.

I take that back.. the JD is $13900 with bucket and mower deck.. the MF doesn't come with a mower deck.

I don't see the price savings.. am I missing something?
I have a 1540 and got a bunch of attachments for $5000 less than a comparable Deere with nothing. That was two years ago. Maybe times have changed but I love my MF. Everyone has their own opinions about which tractor they love/hate. In this economy, you might get a steal on either.

Wait4It..boom

You may just want to wait and see how you get along without a tractor. It's more work, but you'll save a ton of money.
I'd be ok with it. Think hubbie is convinced we have to have a tractor though. And not sure he wants the neighbors to think a bunch of hillbillies moved next door and won't cut their pastures/grass! ;O)

In this economy, you might get a steal on either.
If anyone knows a neighbor or friend is selling one that is truly a 'steal' then let me know! :buddies:
I'm looking desperately but feel like the clock is ticking...

CountryLady

luvmyponies
Kubota is a good inexxpensive option. they usually have 0% financing for three years, but I heard they may have gon to four years. We bought a small compact utility tractor. with mowerdeck, auger 9", back hoe, front endloader for a hair over 15,000. it is a 23 HP. But for 8-9 acers and horses,.... especially if you are going to do round bales, you should get something around 60 HP. I lease about 20acres, mine can do everything except the round bales.

Oh yeah, mine is 4x4. It is great!