Tractor ideas?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I have a 1540 and got a bunch of attachments for $5000 less than a comparable Deere with nothing. That was two years ago. Maybe times have changed but I love my MF. Everyone has their own opinions about which tractor they love/hate. In this economy, you might get a steal on either.

Biggest draw for me for JD is, Carroll's is 1/4 mile from the house.

They come and pick up my tractor and do the services while I'm at work, return it before I get home (most times), and don't charge me for the pickup.

I'm sure they do have a servecie fee for pick up service, but in our case, they don't.

Cowgirl

Hey Wait,

Are you talking about the pastures you need to mow? Have you thought of finding someone local to cut if for hay? You can keep some of it, and give the rest to them as payment, or you could just pay them to mow and bale it for you.

Or are you not doing hay? :confused: I wasn't sure because of the person who mentioned round bales. It's MUCH cheaper to pay someone to custom cut your hay than it is to buy all of the equipment yourself!

Cowgirl

That tractor needs 9 acres to turn around.

Old school tractor, used IH 866 or a JD 4020 or 4230 would be perfect. Cost the same as those teeny tractors with plenty of muscle if needed.

A Ford 841 would rock too but it would lack muscle for heavy lifting.

here is one for $4500 in mint condition.

1960 FORD 841 40 HP to 99 HP For Sale At TractorHouse.com

It doesn't have a loader. I think a smaller tractor with a loader would be great.

Pete

Repete
Yeah, but I'd say that's a show, not a go (to work), tractor..

The Ford? No way, that is work ready man. My dad has an 841 I am trying to talk him into giving me. It smokes like crazy and needs a fuel pump but it still works.

There are no bells and whistles on these. The only thing not metal on that tractor besides the tires is the shifter knob.

Pete

Repete
It doesn't have a loader. I think a smaller tractor with a loader would be great.

Why get a loader if you can't lift a round bale with it? I would go with a used 90 HP tractor with a loader. Anything else is a toy or a motorized pooper scooper.

Cowgirl

The Ford? No way, that is work ready man. My dad has an 841 I am trying to talk him into giving me. It smokes like crazy and needs a fuel pump but it still works.

There are no bells and whistles on these. The only thing not metal on that tractor besides the tires is the shifter knob.

We had an old farm where I used to work and I loved it. We also had a JD 1020 (or 2020?) and I loved that old thing too. My absolute favorite though was the JD 2355. Great all around tractor with a loader. It wasn't too big to get in the way, but it wasn't too small. Perfect.

Cowgirl

Why get a loader if you can't lift a round bale with it? I would go with a used 90 HP tractor with a loader. Anything else is a toy or a motorized pooper scooper.

Moving fence posts, moving stone, loading manure, etc. Tons of uses. And, if she gets small round bales, they're moveable. :yay:

Pete

Repete
We had an old farm where I used to work and I loved it. We also had a JD 1020 (or 2020?) and I loved that old thing too. My absolute favorite though was the JD 2355. Great all around tractor with a loader. It wasn't too big to get in the way, but it wasn't too small. Perfect.

We had the Ford 841, a JD 3020, JD 4020 and then my dad went and got a Ford 8600 and a new 4630. A bunch of the neighbors had IH and they sucked butt. The transmissions were terrible and not user friendly.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

How much does a round bale weigh??

The only thing I got is a warning NOT to lift round bales with the bucket (doesn't matter the size of the tractor).. they tend to roll, and if you don't know what you are doing, you could end up eating one.

They do have a round bale fork you can replace just the bucket with.

mingiz

Horse Poor
How much does a round bale weigh??

The only thing I got is a warning NOT to lift round bales with the bucket (doesn't matter the size of the tractor).. they tend to roll, and if you don't know what you are doing, you could end up eating one.

They do have a round bale fork you can replace just the bucket with.

Rounds bales vary in weight. buy avg 800-1100lbs some bigger etc:popcorn:

:yahoo: We're just about to close on our new farm (hopefully this week or next, at the latest). BUT- we need a tractor and have no clue what to buy. The "money well" is almost dry (I've forgotten how expensive house buying can be!) :nomoney:
We're wracking our brains to figure out how we're gonna cut the grass inexpensively this summer so we can figure out what we truly need before just buying something for the sake of buying :jameo:
We thought of the idea to "lease" a tractor for this season. We've got about 8-9 acres. Know anyone that would want to lease an extra tractor in the Prince Frederick area?
Saw a rusty old tractor and some implements for sale at the truck cap place next to Weingarner GMC in Brandywine today.

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
we just bought a John Deere 4520 from Carrolls Equipment. The hubby chose this one cause I can use it and do my round bales chores while he is at work. It is simple to operate and even I can change the bucket to the spear in less than a minute.

We had then fill the rear tires with fluid instead of buying the ballast weights. It is 4WD and 53HP and the lift capacity is 2500lbs.

Financing was unbeatable. :yahoo: